Team Reggie: it's not really goodbye

Lolo

Visit site
Reg left for his lovely new loan home a fortnight ago. This is just a bit of a thank you post, with a very short report at the end.

When we first met Reggie, I don't think any of us could have predicted the journey him and Al would go on. It's been a truly amazing 4.5 years of knowing him, and having the absolute pleasure of watching them grow and learn together. It's never been easy but it's been so much fun. He might not be the horse who goes on and does all the cool things Al wants to do but without him she wouldn't be where she is today. He put her on the map and made people watch her. At first it partly was because he was a raving lunatic, but as he settled down and she learnt how to really ride it was because people were astonished at their transformation.

Reg is a once in a lifetime type of horse. He's not taken the eventing world by storm, he regularly has more poles down than ones that are left up and he frequently refuses to even consider playing at poncing. But he's kind and gentle and funny, and he has given Al so much fun and so many beautiful memories.

He is a truly delightful horse who we all adore and wish his new family the very best times with him. He has absolutely earnt his quieter life of being pampered and cuddled and going on lovely long hacks and I hope he enjoys it.

10565164_10202252142044522_8431035207284846465_n.jpg

1505069_10201702917594254_3312049908615034328_n.jpg

9509_10200637928810200_1441740497_n.jpg

I can't really be sufficiently eloquent to say exactly what Reg means to all of us, but especially to Al. She loves the bones of him, and even though it's not a proper goodbye it's still very hard. So thank you Reggie for the past 5 years. It's been good.

[youtube]-1qedQ7xC9E[/youtube]
I'm posting this again because it just shows how much they grew together.

Thank you to everyone on here too, who has cheered them on from afar and offered advice and support and encouragement when things were really at the lowest point. When things are bad and you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, a complete stranger saying keep going, you're fine can spur you on just that little bit more. So thanks :)

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
And a very mini Carlton report from Super Smokes!

He did a sweet test for a 34, and show jumped beautifully for an easy clear. Al's going to do a few more 90cm, and then think about preparing him for a step up- she just needs to get her SJ completely confident first. And then the daffy jockey galloped straight past the smallest fence on the course for an elimination... They would have come 5th without this deeply blonde moment, so while it's a bit of a downer it is still a great day out. Smokes is just waiting to earn those rosettes now, he's becoming so consistent and confident!

skint1

Visit site
Aw Reggie, wishing you all the best! You gave him an excellent foundation Lolo, you should be very proud!

humblepie

Visit site
Reg is brill and hope he has a lovely time in his new home and Smokes is coming along at an amazing rate of knots. Super photos as always.

Clare85

Visit site
This brought a tear to my eye. It's very clear how much Reggie means to you all. It's been lovely to read about and watch Al's journey with him, they've come so far and he's obviously a very special boy. Wishing him all the best in his new home, and of course Al all the very best for her future with Smokey and anything else that comes along. Hope we will still get your great reports, with a snippet or two of Reggie's new adventures now and again :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
What a lucky loaner! I do adore that video of Al and Reggie - they certainly came a long way together. He's such a legend.

Dope about the missed fence, but all very positive sounding - I expect big things to come from Smokes. They're going to be on fire when they've ironed out all the silly errors (like missing fences :p ) :D

Rosiefan

Visit site
Au revoir Reg, we'll all miss you but not as much as your very own humans will - hope your new family take very good care of you x.
Bummer to run past a fence but no doubt the pilot cares far more than Smokey does :)

Bestdogdash

Visit site
I always watch your reports from afar, but wanted to let you know a) you are a terrific sister (?) and b) there is a career for you in film making!

Team Reggie sum up everything that is fantastic about our sport. Hope the boy enjoys his retirement but happy that Smokes is there to take Al on to the next step.

We have all had a Reggie - and we all doff our proverbial cap in gratitude and love.

VRIN

Visit site
What an inspirational video ... encourages us all to keep going through trial and tribulation ...

anna22

Visit site
Aw, I'm glad Reggie has found a lovely home :) Al has done a super job with him. I hope she is very proud, because she should be! Ooo so exciting about little Smokes, what a dude!

khalswitz

Visit site
A very fitting tribute to an awesome horse who has really made Al as a rider! Best of luck to him in his new home :D

And sounds like Smokes is coming on awesomely - need pics!!!! :D

Twiglet

Visit site
Fab video - it really shows how far they've come. Al rides beautifully.
Very lucky loaner, and lucky Reg to have been given such a brilliant (re)start in life.

claracanter

Visit site
So happy Reg has found a fabulous new home. His story has been a bit of inspiration to me. You posted a reply on the forum after I wrote about my disastrous first XC clinic with my ex racer. You told me not to give up and that Reg had been exactly the same. It gave me confidence. We have now done 3 unaff.ODE's, each time getting better and a DC could even be on the cards one day, but it will take a lot of time and patience. Reg and Al have demonstrated what is possible if you don't give up. I have a soft spot for Reg, not least because he looks a lot like my boy.

Lolo

Visit site
Such a lovely post.

I always look forward to reading your updates, but don't often comment.

Wishing Reggie a happy new home x

Thank you :) He's a very special horse, and we really want his new home to have as much fun as Al did!

wow, good luck Reg :)

Thank you!

Lovely post, Reg is pretty unrecognisable from the early days, long may he enjoy his retirement.

Yes, he changed just a tiny bit! Sometimes it's genuinely hard to recognise him in old photos, but Al's changed so much that doesn't help either :) Thank you!

Aw Reggie, wishing you all the best! You gave him an excellent foundation Lolo, you should be very proud!

So proud of Al, she stuck it out through thick and thin but he repaid her tenfold in lovely memories.

Lolo

Visit site
Oooh fab, I missed the early days. He wasn't easy, was he? Kudos to Al, she did an amazing job with him.

He could have been a better first horse, that's for sure! But I think if she can get a tune out of him, she can get a tune out of most now so he taught her a lot about presenting what you ride well, as well as a lot about how to stick tight and kick hard!

Reg is brill and hope he has a lovely time in his new home and Smokes is coming along at an amazing rate of knots. Super photos as always.

Thank you, they had a lovely photoshoot last month (the lady who did the wedding shoot wanted to build up a horsey portfolio, so Reg and Smokes got to be models again... I think Reg has found his true calling!) and Al's now making a shortlist of her favourites. Which is all of them! Smokes is flying along, he's such a sweetie too :)

This brought a tear to my eye. It's very clear how much Reggie means to you all. It's been lovely to read about and watch Al's journey with him, they've come so far and he's obviously a very special boy. Wishing him all the best in his new home, and of course Al all the very best for her future with Smokey and anything else that comes along. Hope we will still get your great reports, with a snippet or two of Reggie's new adventures now and again :)

Thank you. It's been an amazing 5 years with him, and we are so grateful to his owner for supporting Al like she did with him. They've got the first visit already booked in, and Al is very excited to see him again.

Au revoir Reg, we'll all miss you but not as much as your very own humans will - hope your new family take very good care of you x.
Bummer to run past a fence but no doubt the pilot cares far more than Smokey does :)

Pilot cares a lot- Smokes finished high as a kite and clearly couldn't care less! He was a bit rowdy all day to be fair, the SJ was amusing to say the least... He knew everything and Al was wrong about absolutely everything she suggested. Apparently it was very odd managing a clear despite not having controlled virtually every single stride (Al said the control was probably 80% his despite her best efforts!).

We miss him lots but if the home doesn't work out he's got a space in the field to be properly retired and they are going to have monthly visits to make sure he's well. And his new loaner knows if there's the tiniest problem she can phone and get lots of help. We just want the best for him and it's so hard!

I always watch your reports from afar, but wanted to let you know a) you are a terrific sister (?) and b) there is a career for you in film making!

Team Reggie sum up everything that is fantastic about our sport. Hope the boy enjoys his retirement but happy that Smokes is there to take Al on to the next step.

We have all had a Reggie - and we all doff our proverbial cap in gratitude and love.

I make up for being nice on here by stealing Al's shoes and teasing her endlessly, like a proper big sister should! I love doing things like that, but my degree meant I never had time for it. Might try my hand at another soon for Smokes though.

Reggie's are what make eventing fun to me- the idea that a teenager from a non-horsey background on an ex-racer she is loaning can compete in the same section as the best riders in the country is brilliant. He's no world beater, but he's fun and safe and kind and just the perfect family horse. Thank you :)

Lolo

Visit site
what a lovely video. thanks for sharing.
xx

Thank you :)

What an inspirational video ... encourages us all to keep going through trial and tribulation ...

It was close at times- 2012 was a very difficult year for them both and I'm always amazed at how Al kept going. Butthey made it through, and 2013 was great fun. And 2014 he was placed almost every time out- perfect way to finish his eventing career!

Aw, I'm glad Reggie has found a lovely home :) Al has done a super job with him. I hope she is very proud, because she should be! Ooo so exciting about little Smokes, what a dude!

I hope she is too :) I think she thinks anyone could have done it though! Smokes is a dude, although he possibly knows it just a little too much... I'm surprised his ego fits on the lorry!

Aww by Reg! He is the coolest horse - I hope his new loaner has the best time with him

I hope so too, thank you :)

Here's to Reggie's retirement .

Indeed! Long and happy one, he's earnt it.

Lolo

Visit site
What a lucky loaner! I do adore that video of Al and Reggie - they certainly came a long way together. He's such a legend.

Dope about the missed fence, but all very positive sounding - I expect big things to come from Smokes. They're going to be on fire when they've ironed out all the silly errors (like missing fences :p ) :D

Thank you for all your help with it! He is a total legend, one of those horses who'll never not be the top of the 'Five I won't forget" lists despite no grand prizes or titles to his name.

Dope indeed! She has a vague excuse- a fairly traumatic journey to Carlton where she had to map read (dyslexia makes this nearly mission impossible for her) and they arrived tired and stressed, without much time to course walk. But she's still so cross. Got a point to prove at Keysoe now!

omg what a fab post - made me cry!!! I hope that whoever is loaning Reg is on the forum keeps everyone updated... by far my most favourite HHO horse

Not a forum user, but I'll do updates in reports when they go and visit :) Thank you! Your little dun is my favourite :D

A very fitting tribute to an awesome horse who has really made Al as a rider! Best of luck to him in his new home :D

And sounds like Smokes is coming on awesomely - need pics!!!! :D

Thank you, he's very special and I really struggled to do him justice.

http://www.everybodysmile.biz/cgi-bin/public.cgi?form_status=order_image&event_id=209104&img=slide_002548{Saturday%20Show%20Jumping%20-%20a_BE_90_before_9_55.jpg&anc=p85_0052_es&ss=52&imgcat=Saturday%20Show%20Jumping%20-%20a_BE_90_before_9_55
Here onwards is his SJ round, and there are videos on Al's youtube of all three phases now :)

Fab video - it really shows how far they've come. Al rides beautifully.
Very lucky loaner, and lucky Reg to have been given such a brilliant (re)start in life.

Reg has had a fairly lovely life- he's had the same owner since he was 2, who only wanted the best for him and absolutely adores him. Not many horses are that lucky! Al works so hard- she says she's very average, but she compares herself to people at the very top of the sport so she's got lots to work towards!

Glad you have found him a lovely home!

It took a long old time- so many people who were hopelessly inappropriate! We ended up putting that we only wanted people who could provide 2 references, and had experience caring for TBs, just to try and weed them out pre-phonecall.

What a lovely post and the video is inspiring. Wishing Reg all the best in his new home

Thank you :)

So happy Reg has found a fabulous new home. His story has been a bit of inspiration to me. You posted a reply on the forum after I wrote about my disastrous first XC clinic with my ex racer. You told me not to give up and that Reg had been exactly the same. It gave me confidence. We have now done 3 unaff.ODE's, each time getting better and a DC could even be on the cards one day, but it will take a lot of time and patience. Reg and Al have demonstrated what is possible if you don't give up. I have a soft spot for Reg, not least because he looks a lot like my boy.

I'm so glad things are going well for you now! Reg was, as Al would put it, a bare nutter at his first outings. And now he barely bothers to wake up until he's in the start box (possibly why he has so many poles down!).