Team Reggie: PC area eventing, tears, frillies and poles galore!

Lolo

Visit site
Reg and Al were at the Area 8 eventing qualifiers today, and it was an undeniable semi-triumph.

They were in the B team, which consisted of them, a girl on a pony who makes Reg look careful SJ, and a horse who has never gone XC before (and the rider can count on one hand the times they've XC'd at 1m). So expectations were low, the pressure was off and there was a lot of laughter!

Reg warmed up really well for the dressage, and went in and the test started well with all 7s and 8s. And then Al had a moment... To put this moment into context, this test is the only test used for PC intermediate eventing for the past 4 years. Al has been doing this test for this entire time almost exclusively. And somehow, she forgot it :confused: Al decided she couldn't be wrong so improvised... The judge booped, and Al ended her freestyle (which was very nice), for a quick discussion in the middle. Unfortunately, Reg went a bit off the boil and the 7s and 8s turned into 6s :( They scored a 37, which while mid-field, was a bit disappointing.

1001703_10201592596243838_854587231_n.jpg

944256_10201592596003832_615093546_n.jpg

Onto the SJ, where they had plastic poles in very shallow cups... Not Reg's best thing. He tapped the first, it tumbled and he proceeded to take out another 5. Of them, 2 were acceptable. The rest were him being a careless monster! He actually jumped well though and made a nice shape over the fences. If they'd been deeper cups or wooden poles then maybe things would be different. Al's not bothered, as she feels she rode him well and if you ignore the poles the round was nice to watch.

1002867_10201592598843903_1803627032_n.jpg

1005653_10201592598883904_1005143525_n.jpg

999651_10201592599043908_124721245_n.jpg

970120_10201592599843928_191499666_n.jpg

(if your horse isn't lifting his feet, it's worth trying to lift them for him)

This attitude is quite an odd one, I suppose, for 99% of you. But I think when you have a horse like Reg your goals are a bit different!!

Finally, they were onto the best bit. Al walked it with her team, and came back and reported that it was 'beefy'. She then went a bit quiet, and elaborated with "and quite technical". We asked if there was anything in particular that was a challenge, and she described the entire course... However, the pressure was off and they were keen :D

He set off with his usual happy lollop, and began motoring after fence 1.

988621_10201592600163936_632447137_n.jpg

Took his own stride to the second, before jumping the first question of a hanging log into space then through the dip to another log well. Then a 'let up fence' (every let up fence was bang up to height!) and back on themselves through the coffin easily. They flew down to the first water, which was a big ask. Bear in mind this is a BE100 equivalent...

969540_10201592600803952_1008209423_n.jpg

1002866_10201592601363966_274647646_n.jpg

Reg, of course, said this was very easy and locked on as soon as he saw it. They jumped another let up fence, and then onto the first corner. Reg was bang on into it, a skinny then the big corner then another skinny on a curved line, and then stormed down to the trakehner.

999987_10201592603164011_844738684_n.jpg

("I think we might get time, I just let him canter between fences"... Yeah, when your horse has a stride like that it's unlikely!)

1013153_10201592604124035_1395255362_n.jpg

He flew it easily and then the big skinny hedge with ease. They then had another big test, with going up and down a mound to a skinny flowerbed with a slight drop, then a very tight 'C' turn to a big, narrow, corner and then 3 strides to a full up skinny. Reg said this was easy peasy :D

They then jumped the pipes, and met this horror:

BPokLbBCMAAKN7g.jpg:large

Al used the kick and sit back technique here, and Reg flew it like a pro :D

Then a big old hut thing, a tight turn to another big fence, and then another skinny to a spooky palisade. Reg was high on life by this point and could have probably made it home alone. Al tested this theory at the next fence... Up a mound, a hayrack into space with a steep slope down, and then quickly back up to a bright pink wedge fence on a curved line. Reg slipped as they started going towards the wedge fence, and Al was left with no reins and at an unfortunate angle to the saddle. Reg had locked on though, and scrambled over- he was so honest to go! Al managed to heave herself back into the plate and they went onto the second water- another hanging log onto a steep slope, with a tight turn to a big log coming out. Reg was awesome again, and they flew the last two fences with ear-to-ear grins :D :D :D

[video=youtube;OfN0fKakGcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfN0fKakGcI[/video]
Please watch the video, he is so awesome in it and they've never looked like a better partnership :)

Al grinned for pretty much 3 hours straight after that!

Her team had faired ok- one had a stop, and the other managed to get round with some learners and some stops, which isn't bad considering. They had a lovely debrief afterwards laughing about their respectively rubbish scores.

Only the XC caused such total carnage that despite the awful SJ score, Reg and Al came 8th!! Icing on the cake, as Al was already over the moon with her boy :D I know it sounds awful to most of you, but I never thought we'd be here seeing Al and Reg place at area eventing. He is the product of her endless hard work and determination and although he'll never be a DC machine, or win big, he's taught her so much and is an utter pleasure to know. As his owner said when Al texted her the news, some day Al might be doing something bigger and better than this and it won't be with Reg, but it will undeniably be because of him. Such a special boy, we're lucky to have him.

A very proud big sister here, they might not have won (our branch's A team did though!) but they achieved an awful lot more than we ever thought possible. Thank you for reading :)

Carefreegirl

Visit site
:D Go Reggie (and Al :eek:) They both look fab and as for 'lifting' him off the ground SJ I hope she also shouted 'hup' like I seem to of started doing for some unknown reason :rolleyes:

That skinny in the water looks a tricky fence and as for the palisade ditch thing......I'd of had to of gone home for a clean pair of knickers.

What a great day out. What's next ?

BeckyC

Visit site
What a brilliant day out, very very well done!!! He really is a fab xc horse! That looked a ridiculous 100, more novicey!! love the lifting photo, cant say she isnt doing all thats possible to leave the jumps up :p

Nicnac

Visit site
Well done Al & Reg! XC looked horrible; really twisty and busy with peeps & ponies everywhere (oh and BIG!) Love how chilled he is before going into start box :D

EveningStar

Visit site
Well done Al and Reg!
The dressage really sounds like it is getting there and they look like they were storming around the xc course.
What an achievement, Al has done so well with Reg :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
Very well done both. Reggie is such a nice looking horse, and he really looked to be enjoying the xc. Agree about the twisty bits, very confusing.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Awesome, team Reg and Al! Well done Al for staying on after he slipped. It sounds like a meaty BE100 equivalent.

Firewell

Visit site
Ah yay I'm ao glad they got placed! It's a shame he's not careful SJ as it sounds like she has cracked the dressage and he's a machine XC! She has done amazingly well with him, despite the pole bashing he's a brave horse and he's safe for her XC and there's a lot to be said for that :).

Rosiefan

Visit site
Oh dear for the dressage hiccup and commiserations on the stoopid poles obeying the laws of gravity but the XC is awesome! Ex-racers are amazing cross country so I'm told and the trick apparently is to do events where hardly anyone gets the time so the falling SJ poles don't matter so much ;)
I love Reg's owner's comments and I bet she's right - well done Al and Reg and well done the A team :)

Thistle

Visit site
I was FJ at the ditch pallisade at 14 (13 for the 90) and yellow corner and ditch for the 110.

It caused no end of problems due to the most part by it being over ridden with lots of rein flapping and squealing going on. Amazingly we only had 1 fall (refusal and rider plopped over the shoulder). It needed positive riding but most were being so over active the horses were wary and looking, propping and then going. Only 2 took the L direct and another 2 after refusals. Says much about the wonderfully honest ponies and horses that were there.

NOW TIME FOR A BIT OF A MOAN

My friend Nicky and I gave up our day so the kids could compete. All day people walked past us, close by mostly, for the most part accompanied by team manager and/or parents. NOT ONE PERSON SPOKE TO US, THANKED US OR EVEN SMILED AT US!!!!!!! It was like we were invisible, some even patted the dogs whilst ignoring us.

How are these children ever going to learn manners if the adults (particularly the team managers) don't bother to thank or even smile at the fence judges who are giving up their time so the kids can compete?

Please anyone reading this remember that FJ's are people too and a smile of thank you or good morning, goes a long way!

Bubblegum

Visit site
Lovely report! Great pics. Well done Team Reggie :)
Now, keep the brave pants on and enter that Novice - you will never know if you don't give it a go! x

Lolo

Visit site
Well done Reg and Al! Great result! That xc course seemed quite 'busy', at points it was hard to tell which jump they were aiming for, not the riding, just the quantity of obstacles. :)

It was, lots of very clever lines and twists and turns to catch people out- last year, the XC hardly caused any problems so it was nice to have a real XC competition this year! I think having Tina Ure design it was extra perfect because she knows pretty much all the u18 riders in the region so could really test them :D

:D Go Reggie (and Al :eek:) They both look fab and as for 'lifting' him off the ground SJ I hope she also shouted 'hup' like I seem to of started doing for some unknown reason :rolleyes:

That skinny in the water looks a tricky fence and as for the palisade ditch thing......I'd of had to of gone home for a clean pair of knickers.

What a great day out. What's next ?

No hups, but growling XC :D It was one question after another, and even the let up fences required positive riding. Reg was so amazing, Al was worried he was losing his love for it after the last two outings where they had silly stops, but looking back she thinks she was way too complacent as she knew it was easy for him. What's next? Novices have been spoken of, because he might not be a good SJ horse, but he is confident now and is so good XC that Al would like to be able to learn with him knowing she can trust him to help and he can trust her to do the same.

What a brilliant day out, very very well done!!! He really is a fab xc horse! That looked a ridiculous 100, more novicey!! love the lifting photo, cant say she isnt doing all thats possible to leave the jumps up :p

He loves his XC so much, he warms up like he's half asleep and then suddenly is out on course and is on a mission! It was such a test, it seemed like an underheight novice- perfect for areas where 90% of the horses/ ponies will have so many BE points they aren't allowed to do normal novices... This course made you really ride, even if your horse was amazing, because they couldn't tell where to go next without you!

Lolo

Visit site
Well done Al & Reg! XC looked horrible; really twisty and busy with peeps & ponies everywhere (oh and BIG!) Love how chilled he is before going into start box :D

It was manic there, especially as they were only 4th team out so everyone was trying to see how it rode... Think she was one of the first clears back in too :D Reg has never been a buzzy horse about start boxes, because Al really doesn't like them doing the whole half-rear/ spin/ jog thing as it can make them hard to settle. You can tell he's excited because he has that look about him, but aside from that he could be setting off on a gentle hack!

Very well done both. Reggie is such a nice looking horse, and he really looked to be enjoying the xc. Agree about the twisty bits, very confusing.

He loves being told he's handsome- he did a lot of fairly hardcore posing yesterday in the lorry park as people kept admiring him. So vain! He could also see the trains going past so did a lot of trainspotting... He is hilarious just to watch existing really :D

Al refused to let me and mum walk the course before she rode it. Once she'd done, she made us walk the entire thing backwards to see how horrible it was!

Awesome, team Reg and Al! Well done Al for staying on after he slipped. It sounds like a meaty BE100 equivalent.

She was so nearly home and dry by that point that I think she could have been on his ears and she'd have clung on :D It was, the perfect stepping stone to move up a level really...

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
Well done Al and Reg - and that course does look meaty. I reckon the SJ was Reg having revenge for Al spoiling his dressage diva-ing though :O

That was one theory :D The other amongst the rest of the team (one who had the same SJ) was it was because it was a free ODE and they're just getting all the poles out the way now so when they go DC the rest of the season they won't be missing out on bashing them... Optimistic?! Nah...!

Reg looks soo happy in the video, ears pricked and loving every minute :)

Well done sounds like a good day bet you're all well chuffed

Over the moon with him, and Al. She's worked hard for him, and he has for her so to get some recognition in whatever form is a big achievement.

Ah yay I'm ao glad they got placed! It's a shame he's not careful SJ as it sounds like she has cracked the dressage and he's a machine XC! She has done amazingly well with him, despite the pole bashing he's a brave horse and he's safe for her XC and there's a lot to be said for that :).

Al thinks the SJ was just unlucky really, as he was jumping nicely. The big problem is they always have the first down, and once he'd had this first down he knew he could bash and nothing would hurt! We love Reg but he isn't careful SJ because he doesn't need to be, and that's a mindset that is hard to alter. This season he has been so much better, with only 1 or 2 poles each time out, so he is improving. Just not today :D

And exactly. He looks after her, and goes the extra mile and that is worth hundreds of poles down :)

Lolo

Visit site
Oh dear for the dressage hiccup and commiserations on the stoopid poles obeying the laws of gravity but the XC is awesome! Ex-racers are amazing cross country so I'm told and the trick apparently is to do events where hardly anyone gets the time so the falling SJ poles don't matter so much ;)
I love Reg's owner's comments and I bet she's right - well done Al and Reg and well done the A team :)

He used to be a bit rubbish really, with ditches, skinnies, corners and other spooky fences providing cause for problems. But as Al learnt more about how to ride them and how to ride him, and he learnt more about being a normal horse, things got a low easier :D As he flew the corners, all I could remember was 18 months ago Al spent nearly 40 minutes there trying to get him to jump it. It seems like a lifetime ago, but it's not.

And yep :D That's the new tactic! She probably not doing PC next year (although wants to still teach and be involved- just not as a riding member) so hopefully she'll be against horses appropriate for the level (Rosie's Hector was doing Al's class and looked lovely) and picking events that she thinks her gang can learn from.

I was FJ at the ditch pallisade at 14 (13 for the 90) and yellow corner and ditch for the 110.

It caused no end of problems due to the most part by it being over ridden with lots of rein flapping and squealing going on. Amazingly we only had 1 fall (refusal and rider plopped over the shoulder). It needed positive riding but most were being so over active the horses were wary and looking, propping and then going. Only 2 took the L direct and another 2 after refusals. Says much about the wonderfully honest ponies and horses that were there.

NOW TIME FOR A BIT OF A MOAN

My friend Nicky and I gave up our day so the kids could compete. All day people walked past us, close by mostly, for the most part accompanied by team manager and/or parents. NOT ONE PERSON SPOKE TO US, THANKED US OR EVEN SMILED AT US!!!!!!! It was like we were invisible, some even patted the dogs whilst ignoring us.

How are these children ever going to learn manners if the adults (particularly the team managers) don't bother to thank or even smile at the fence judges who are giving up their time so the kids can compete?

Please anyone reading this remember that FJ's are people too and a smile of thank you or good morning, goes a long way!

I think Al's team may have been too green for much more than vomiting into the ditch on their coursewalk, but when we walked back I think we had a chat with one of you and said we hoped your day hadn't been too horrible. Thank you so much for giving up your time for the PC, especially as I think your daughter is no longer a member, and without you the day wouldn't have been able to run.

We watched several jump it and it was done universally badly. Al was pleased with how Reg jumped it, and felt like she rode it well considering she was wetting herself a little bit, but she is lucky in that Reg isn't a spooky horse and he does go when he's told. We know the team member before Al thought she was doing subconscious screaming 2 strides away, but was actually doing conscious screaming... Sorry about that!

Lovely report! Great pics. Well done Team Reggie :)
Now, keep the brave pants on and enter that Novice - you will never know if you don't give it a go! x

Eeek! I think it'll be more mum and me having to don brave pants than Al, who appears to permanently be wearing them :D

Thistle

Visit site
Al rode our fence well, I did make a positive comment to control (one of the few) you could tell which kids hunted! They just quietly kicked on and did the job!

I remember you coming up after, it was more the big official course walk groups and generally people walking the course. We had you 'labelled' more as spectators!

Cazzah

Visit site
Great result! I sympathise with the pesky SJ - my exracer is more than capable but sometimes just can't be a*sed. Other times he gives them all a foot. Horses eh?! The XC looked challenging enough ;-) for that level and for those of us without a dressage diva/SJ supremo those kind of courses give the true XC horses chance to shine! Reggie clearly agreed and looks fab!

Lolo

Visit site
Al rode our fence well, I did make a positive comment to control (one of the few) you could tell which kids hunted! They just quietly kicked on and did the job!

I remember you coming up after, it was more the big official course walk groups and generally people walking the course. We had you 'labelled' more as spectators!

We saw lots of heart attack jumps over it (and helped catch the loose pony!), at least your day was interesting!

Al is so in the zone walking a course a bomb could go off and she'd not notice so we do the loop afterwards to thank judges :)

Well done Al and Reg!

Looking a great partnership!

Thank you, he's very pleased with himself today- letting the whole yard know how special he is!

Great result! I sympathise with the pesky SJ - my exracer is more than capable but sometimes just can't be a*sed. Other times he gives them all a foot. Horses eh?! The XC looked challenging enough ;-) for that level and for those of us without a dressage diva/SJ supremo those kind of courses give the true XC horses chance to shine! Reggie clearly agreed and looks fab!

Glad it's not just Reg! Things are easier now she's riding other horses properly and so has proof it's not her riding badly because her other youngsters all jump nicely. It's just Reg not really being fussed- his style is improving and that's what matters :D He loved every second, the pro photos are adorable!

Lolo

Visit site
Well done! Xc looks tough although sounds like Al breezed it! :D

They loved it, Al said she felt the fact the course was more challenging made her ride a lot better, and so he went better and it became a really positive feedback loop :D

Fabby! The XC looked most daunting in parts - no probs to an XC meachine like Reg though!

He was so cute- he got back from the XC and was so pleased with himself! He kept snuffling at Al and being all happy and adorable. So much Reggie love :D

Well done! That's amazing, I would be proud if I had a day like that :D

It's taken nearly 4 years but he is such a cool horse now. He's one people actually like rather than do the o_O face at :D Al is over the moon with it- it may not be a win, but it was a huge achievement nonetheless!