Teensy bit of advice please - Could Patches....

Patches

Visit site

What's the likelihood of Patches ever being able to make a go of Endurance, not seriously, just as "our thing" to enjoy?

I really enjoyed the pleasure ride yesterday and it's got me thinking that it's my type of thing, more than jumping or showing. I can ride around looking a bit like John Wayne meets Barry Sheen and no one will laugh at me.

There were plenty of cobs there yesterday, surprised at the amount unclipped too.

So, we have to sort of stick to 5mph as a speed guideline...optimum. Which means a 10 mile ride should be completed in under 2 hours. I currently do an eight mile hack quite regularly that is all on the roads but that does take me just shy of two hours. No off road so nowhere to go hell for leather etc. Alot of twists and turns and plenty of A road riding too which we have to be wary of.

So, could we do it? What do you think...mad idea?

If the answer is yes, then it leads to other questions.....

What do I do about knee boots? I will trot in mine, but I will not canter as I worry they'll pull or move. She has been known to stumble so I really wouldn't be happy to remove them when road work is involved.

Last question (for now), would her feet problems prevent it? She drags her hind feet a bit (well more taps them down in the stride) which wears her shoes. She's already on 4 weekly re-shoeing. Could a horse that does this really be expected to do endurance?

I don't want to break her for the sake of finding a niche for us to enjoy.

meandmyself

Visit site
I think that so long as she was fit, you could do some of the shorter rides with no problem.

Knee boots- it might be worth having a play with diffrent brands until you find some that you trust to stay in place. Or even wrap tape/vet wrap around the top strap to hold them in place more securely.

I don't know really- if she's coping with eigth miles hacks, I'd think that you'd be okay. Best bet is to talk to your farrier/vet.

Hope this helps!

kirstyfk

Visit site
I think you should at least have a go at it and see what happens. I don't think much endurance is done on roads and up here there is quite a few endurance Highlands!

Patches

Visit site
Oooo yes...ask the professionals!

Vet is coming on Thursday anyway so I'll ask her opinion.

My knee boots aren't elasticated. I'm sure you can get some that have elastic straps that give better for faster work.

Bet there are hunters out there in knee boots.

Gingernags

Visit site
I can't see any reason why not. If you look up your area on the Endurance GB site, you can look at the pleasure and training rides they have scheduled and go and try!

Someone I know who does them regularly was getting me all fired up about them as you can still do distance awards and get rosettes and trophies, just doing the pleasure rides, if you can stick to the times.

Of course stupid here went on my own, driving to the middle of nowhere and did the 32k ride (just under 20 miles) and it took 4 hours. Well it would only have been 3.5 hours if some evil gits hadn't taken the tape off the trees and rubbed out the spray arrows so we all got lost! Swines!

I really enjoyed it though, but its not as relaxed as an ordinary pleasure ride as you do need a decent amount of trotting to keep you within the times. I think its 8-12 kph isn't it?

She should be fine if you keep her fitness up, there were a lot of cobs doing the one I did. The lady I rode round with on mine had a big built 16hh - kind of ID build (but not, he was a coloured and VERY nice!) and he did fine. Admittedly on the last few miles of railway lines he had to canter to keep up with the ginger ones flying trot!

I say go for it!!!
grin.gif

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Are you sure you haven't got my horse? Would be interested to hear what your vet says, as I, like you, aren't a great fan of showing and I can't jump. I absolutely love doing sponsored rides. Did 4 last year between 8 and 15 miles long. Dolly, like Patches, has a funny skating action on her hind legs, and I am also lucky to get more than 4 weeks out her shoes. If you do speak to your vet, would you let me know what he says please.

Patches

Visit site
Thanks Janine.

I asked them yesterday and they said the speed, as a guide, is 5mph.

They do quite a few locally and indeed yesterday was a pleasure/stroke endurance ride.

I don't want to go and be the last one around. What happens if you do go over time?

Patches

Visit site
Yes I will do.

The vet is coming at 1pm on Thursday. I'll keep you posted!

Some people would maybe think Patches was lame to watch her, but I've had a work up at the vets and indeed she passed a five stage vetting too. It's just her gait, her way of going.

fairhill

Visit site
I think any horse should be more than capable of doing endurance riding - so long as they've been fittened up properly beforehand!

RE your knee boots - my old mare had a broken knee, and we were unable to ride her without knee boots afterwards. We galloped, did WH, jumping etc in hers without them ever slipping. Hers were the leather ones with wool flocking, and the bottom strap was elasticated. Expensive, but highly recommended if you're going to be using them a lot.

Gingernags

Visit site
I think thats about the same, I usually think in mph but the endurance rides up here are kph so I gets easily confuzzled!

Nothing happens if you are over the time, other than you won't earn points/get points rosettes etc. I'm getting Christmas out of the way and my dressage series, then I'll be aiming at all the local pleasure and training rides in spring and intend on doing a lot of swotting up on what the does and don'ts are, and dropped a few hints to OH that I want an endurance book for Christmas, so whatever I find out I will gladly pass on!

When you get to the next one, or even beforehand, give the organiser a ring, explain what you want to do and what sort of speeds etc ie if you really want to avoid cantering too much because of the knee boots, and ask if there is someone experienced who would be prepared to "nanny" you round.

Alternatively, a tip I was given was to divide the route into 4 when you get your map of the ride, and from there work out what time you need to get to certain points on the route to make your time. Then you can ease off slightly if ahead, or speed up if you are getting behind. I want one of the stopwatch watches so I can really have a go at work out how fast we walk and trot etc.

Will keep you updated!

Oh and I've got 2 types of knee boots, one is neoprene, one is the wool and leather type. I can give both a pretty decent road test - canter up several banks on a decent hack - if you want me to test them out see how they perform for slipping etc? Good old Ginge won't flap or anything if they move so she's pretty good at testing things!

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
As for the knee boots in stone wall country they all wear knee boots out look in horse and hound, dont know how they stay on just wondering if it was worth geting some sort of tape on pad that can be put on with vet wrap ? enabling more movement ?

Patches

Visit site
That would be fabulous if you could do that for me J. Thanks.

I've never cantered in mine and have always been wary to. I do have some of those combined brushing and knee boots but they tend to slip around on her so that the knee pad is on the inside of her legs. Not much use if she did fall.

I don't mind investing in some new ones at all. Would be worth it.

The stop watch is a good idea. I wear a normal wristwatch when hacking just for reference. I could ask Santa to get me one!

I don't want to take it up seriously, in the sense of joining Endurance GB. It's more a pleasure ride with a purpose. Thought we'd enjoy that.

Good to know they won't all abandon us if we're over time. Who needs rosettes anyway! LOL

Patches

Visit site
I've got those combined knee and brushing boots from Westropp too, but they slip and turn on her so the knee bit is facing inside.

I think they do a newer version, the Dynamic knee/brushing boot. Might email them and ask their opinion.

dieseldog

Visit site
i used to use bog standard knee boots on one of mine and did everything in them, they never moved.

Don't forget that the World Le Trec champion one year was an enourmous cob which isn't that different to endurance

Gingernags

Visit site
Ah but if you join, the pleasure rides are cheaper!

Not worth it if you are only going to do 1 or 2 but I'll have to see what I can fit in before Asti goes to stud. I may still do some of the shorter ones afterwards until she gets too big, but I want to keep her fit.

Then (fingers crossed muchly) once we have a weaned foal, we'll have a proper go!

Can't wait, I cannot tell you how much I'm enjoying getting out and about just me on my own horse for once!

Patches

Visit site
I was really upset when my friend Sarah ( in the pics with me, in the gallery) moved away in September as she was my hacking partner.

However, I really feel like having to always ride alone has improved my riding and increased our bond. Instead of nattering to my friend, I'm not nattering to Patches. Not sure how much she takes on board!

I was going to join Sport Endurance, not GB Endurance. Again the rides work out cheaper and they still do a point scheme, rosettes and trophy. That's my starting point anyway.

Thank God my saddle is comfortable! lol

Good luck with your rides and fingers crossed for the stud! What are you putting Asti to?

Gingernags

Visit site
Arab I think! Then I'll have an anglo arab with a little dash of welsh! Should be perfect for endurance when its time to take over from the spacehopper.

I didn't realise there was another instead of Endurance GB - will have to have a look.

Usually I have my evil sister with me, but seeing as Ivy can't be left on her own, we've been going solo. I did a local pleasure ride for our Bridleways group, totally on my own, which I enjoyed as I knew the route really well and we flew round. The Durham one was a bit different as a real endurance pleasure ride, which was why I asked to ride with someone, but its nice to get talking to other like minded people.

Next year should be such fun! Not running round after ungrateful nasty brats, but me and my horsey playing nicely! Going to start visiting a few studs soon to see a couple of nice stallions. Pics will undoubtedly follow!

Oh and I hear you about the comfy saddle, though my SC one, the panels slide back slightly, think I need to move the knee blocks - but don't do what I did and forget chaps or long boots - my legs got really badly nipped as I rode in jod boots and forgot my chaps. Ouchies!

Patches

Visit site
Ouchies indeed!

I always ride in long boots, for that very reason. Brings back memories of my second lesson at the riding school three years ago! Huge bruises! Not nice! Mind you, back then I was more bothered about my bruised bum! lol

The Arabs yesterday all looked born to trot merrily all the way around! Tails up, snorting and prancing. Bless them!

Patches isn't anyone's idea of a typical endurance horse, hence why I'd rather do it at a lower, less intense, level to begin with.

pottamus

Visit site
Yes Patches could do endurance...get on and do it! I started my Welsh D in endurance this year doing up to 18 mile rides. We both love it although it has been tough as I needed to get him fit. You basically need to do 90% of the rides in an active but controlled trot pace, leaving the last mile or so to walk and cool down.
It has been fab because he is fitter than ever now and whilst when we started he was quite hard work to keep going in trot because he is lazy, he now has really got into it and wizzes round of his own accord! We did our first competitive ride earlier on this year - 14 miles in sherwood and we came 4th and we are complete novices to it!!!! we are gong to up our distance to 20 mile rides this year and see about a few competitive challenges! yikes!
Please feel free to pm me for more info on events, groups, training, what to do etc as it is a brilliant sport and great way to ride in fantastic areas with a friendly bunch of people!

Gingernags

Visit site
Long boots don't fit my chubby calves!!! Saying that, I've lost the fatty layer over the calf muscles and there is a lot more definition. If I keep up the heathy eating malarkey I might manage one of these days!

The ride I did, think it'll have been Sept/Oct ish, there were more non-arabs than arabs TBH. It was a mix of all sorts. Little chubby ponies, big cobs, ickle cobs, TB's and all sorts. Our local ride we even had an appaloosa strolling round side by side with a Welsh D!

I think any type can do it at the basic levels. I've been told for the serious levels, Arabs are good because of their heart rates and recovery rates for the vet checks. Just a good job they don't check my heart or recovery rates - I'd fail!!!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Chunky cobs can do it - Blaze who is shire x and built like a bricksh*t house did very well when she was younger - not fast but kept on going for miles.

She was full clipped to keep her cool, but managed to do well and was very fit.

Cobs can also do well at le trec.

Patches

Visit site
Eeek...trot 90% of the way around!

Not sure Patches is up to that! We need to start of small and build from there. Depends how much road work various rides have too with her wearing her shoes/feet down behind.

Will start trying to get around our local hacks quicker and see how we do on an average speed then. Will also have to see how my ankle holds up to lots of trotting as I tore ligaments in it at the start of September and it's still giving me grief now, especially when rising to the trot.

Certainly something to try though. Was going to join the hunt, but chickened out! This is far more my style.

rach1984horse

Visit site
I plan to give it a go with my 18 year old Highland next year. There are loads of people with cobs, natives and Highlands that do it up here. I'm just going to start off with the pleasure rides and have some fun.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Yes! both pairs of my Jeffreys knee pads are elasticated.

Most Endurance Rides have a pleasure ride section so you will have no problems.

There is also the Anglia Distance Ride group that put a lot of rides on in the Norfolk area. They are a nice friendly bunch of people.

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Eeek...trot 90% of the way around!

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true... the 32km I did - all but about 2km was trotting - I was wrecked by the end! I've got a dodgy ankle too, got kicked right on the ankle bone a few years ago when a horse I was riding alongside suddenly kicked out sideways. Of course I never got it checked out and its still swollen and hurts if I trot too much... I just had to go through the pain barrier!

By the end of it, I was practically on my knees - but Asti was still racing along showing the big gelding we rode round with, just who was the whizziest pony in the land. My god can that mare trot!!!! (16hh doing a fast canter to keep up with the ginger ones extended extended trot) I think she'd give a trotter a run for its money!