Teensy bit of advice please - Could Patches....

hussar

Visit site
Definitely go for it. As lots of the others have said (mostly Scots I'm interested to see - go SERC!), any reasonably fit and sound horse can make a go of the shorter distances and many cobby types scale the dizzy heights of 40 and 50 miles too. So long as you fitten her slowly and try to ride to a steady rhythm rather than walk/canter, you should both have a ball. Don't worry too much about being too slow - the worst that can happen is you don't get a rosette. I was chief steward once at a ride where the two last riders went round the 16mile pleasure route at the dignified speed of 2.38mph ... I wouldn't recommend being that slow as the people waiting for you get really hacked off!

Re boots, you won't see many endurance horses with boots of any kind in case they rub (you get penalty points for sores and abrasions occurring on the ride). Try and pick rides with minimal roadwork if you're concerned about her tripping.

Patches

Visit site
Have to say the risk of bots rubbing do worry me too. At yesterday's ride we made a conscious decision not to wear brushing boots etc as we knew that we'd be getting muddy. We were concerned of mud getting under the boots and rubbing.

I just really couldn't forgive myself if she did go down on her knees. When she trips, it's not a little stumble, it's almost to her knees. Happens very rarely since having feet re-balanced, but happens all the same.

Working out my usual hacks at the moment...which are taken at a leisurely pace...ie real steady hack and not a thought of completing in a set time, I'm already riding just shy of 4 mph which is just an active walk and short bursts of trot. Working that out, I'm pretty sure I can achieve 5 mph

debonhorse

Visit site
has anyone got a website address for pleasure rides? I reckon I could really enjoy that, and a good excuse to get horsey really fit. I dont know much (if anything) about it but am more than willing to find out.

Tia

Visit site
Oh I would go for it if I was you! How wonderful. Both you and Patches are very fit and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
smile.gif