Teeth problems

Alibear

Visit site
Have been searching about but seems no luck so far I can find information on all sorts of lamess/digestive problems but not write ups of any problems with teeth, eg broken or missing teeth effects they might have long term and abseccess etc etc.

Anyone suggest any sites?

Thanks

Alibear

Visit site
Have looked at Rossadales and Liphook. Any others I could try? Apparently there's somewhere in Edinburgh that does a lot of research into this but all I get is links to go to conferences for vets.

Alibear

Visit site
Thanks Amy am trying those now, so far just getting info on how to apply to go there but will keep trying.

Ah now I'm getting some where should have realised I needed to be looking for
The Royal Disck Veterinary Centre. (Why was I worried about typing that name into Google to
blush.gif
)

spaniel

Visit site
My first port of call would be my own very good equine dentist, presume you have done this already though.

fairhill

Visit site
Have you tried a google scholar search? Brings up some academic papers that might be relevant... this is the first one on a search for "horse tooth abscess"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...p;dopt=Abstract

[ QUOTE ]
The ventral part of the levator nasolabialis muscle was transposed to the alveolar defect after sinusotomy and tooth extraction in five normal horses and six horses with a tooth root abscess and sinusitis. In the normal horses at weeks 6, 10, 14 and 18, the transposed muscles remained viable and were incorporated into the recipient sites, and orosinus fistulae did not form. Histologically, there was a progressive transition from muscle to fibrous tissue. There was no facial deformity or loss of nasal function at the donor site. A localized abscess was associated with incomplete removal of tooth root fragments in one horse. After 1 year or more, five horses treated for dental disease had complete resolution of clinical signs. One horse continued to have intermittent mild nasal discharge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alibear

Visit site
Yes spans took some photo's on a mobile phone to show him but as he says looks awful in the pictures but without him acutally seeing it he can't really say whats going on.
Have a vet who is apparently good with these things looking at it on Monday but since I don't know him it's always a bit of a gamble. I also like to read up so I know the right questions to ask and can understand a bit more about what I'm being told.

spaniel

Visit site
Good on you for researching and I suspect your dentist is right....until he actually sees the mouth he cant be very helpful.