Teeth

Cobland

Visit site
Can anyone help me tell a horses age by its teeth.

I had several people check my horses teeth and ive had ages from 4 to 10!

StrawberryFish

Visit site
can't help but my horse has been aged from between 8 and 12 (that was 2 yrs ago so either 10 or 14 now)

I couldn't be bothered as I didn't care and was never going to sell him - the nicest dentist I had said 12 and so I went with that
tongue.gif

tiggersdad

Visit site
Ive been looking at horses teeth for nearly fifty years. To age a horse there are many factors to take in. All horses should have passports giving you one clue. Most have vacination papers another clue also many have been vetted. I look at the horse to see whether it looks young or old looking for saddle sores, rug rubs, scars and bumps on the legs. I pay particular attention to the feet and shoes. Having looked at all these factors I would then decide the age and only then look at its teeth. The ageing charts are widely published and are on many sites on the web. At four a horse would still have baby teeth the corners.I can age a horse 100% accurate to the charts but experience shows a horse with ten year old teeth can be 14 years as the food nowadays is softer than when the charts were compiled and do not wear down as much. My oldest horse is 30 years but his teeth make him about 22!

kevH

www.equinedentist4u.co.uk
Hi, Have you had him aged by a qualified dentist, at his age you should be able to get it down to six months, provided it is done by someone who knows what they are doing. Do you know how to open his mouth without getting bitten? If not then we can chat about how to do it if you want to. I can tell you how to do it but if you get it wrong you could get bitten and he might not let you do it anyway. If you want to know more just let me know. KJH