tell me about arabs/youngsters?

SeasonalSituation

Visit site
I may have a chance to buy a 6 month old filly, gorgeous little girl from the limited photos I have seen ... Also seen a photo of her dad.

I'm not going to lie, its the wrong time, but the owners are in no real rush to sell and I could financially afford it. I have enough experience with youngsters although this would be my first just mine. Lovely filly and if I went to view I'd be able to see both dam and sire. She also has serious show ring potential.

So this is my question could you possibly show me photos of your Arabs as goals and what they grew up into? What sort of things do you do with them? Did they differ from other breeds when starting? What are like keeping in comparison to say a tb cost wise and everyday? Any useful information.

Immy.C

Visit site
Amazing.

Friends where a little confused at why we got our Arab around 4 years ago as my mum wanted her for dressage/sponsored rides, I wanted her for showjumping/dressage and she was 7, enjoyed racing around with her head in the air and wasn't the breed we were really looking for.

I saw her advert though and there's just something about chestnut mares that I adore. But as she was only up at 14.2hh, mum said no, if she was 15hh... Maybe.

Me being me, rang anyway and funnily enough... A boy had been to see her and said there's no way she is 14.2, so they re-measured her at 15hh. This worked out to be one very beneficial sneaky phone call :D

We've now had 5 wonderful years with her and she's proven anyone’s negative concept about Arabs wrong.

Never fallen off her, she'll always look after you no matter how excitable she is feeling and she's taught me so much, gives everything her best and full of personality/presence to die for. Also does a lovely course of showjumps and beautiful dressage test, which is just an added bonus.

Below is most recent picture of her out competing with my mum on her:

431763_10152222658240113_1505380258_n.jpg

She's been easy to keep, but I would not put a novice on her when she is in season or just clipped. All though she can be excitable at times, she's the kind of mare that once you get to know her, you realise she may have a bark but never a bite. Also bred a foal as a 3yo before we had her. The girl that backed her for pony club was her first horse to back and all though we had to re-school, the basics where there and she’s always a snaffle mouth, even for XC.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
You asked, so you only have yourself to blame as I'm about to bore your socks off! :p

Here's my grey with her Dam, I also met her Sire.
Flossyeight.jpg

Yearling
Flosstrotthree.jpg

Two year old
Flossgrazing.jpg

Three
100_1787.jpg

Earlier this year (four years old)
100_2208.jpg

She's backed but is having the winter off. She will be a fun horse. I'm not competitive but I might get inspired as she's pretty keen and loves doing stuff. :)

She was so easy to back, I kept waiting for a 'moment' to happen, but not even dirt bikes roaring past the field distracted her from the work that she was being asked to do.

I also have a little two year old gelding. I met his Dam but not his sire as he was homebred rather than coming from a stud like the grey.

With my TB (Rising two in this photo).
100_1832.jpg

100_2203.jpg

100_2201.jpg

I find arabs very easy, partly because they wear their hearts on their sleeves. If they are calm/worried/excited/nervous/happy/whatever - you know about it. The main problem with them, is that they want to be in your pocket the whole time (the grey will be searching for treats, the gelding would like to actually get in your pocket and be carried around). The gelding had a bit of a rocky start as he was ear twitched as a foal and was very headshy and nippy. He's improved so much with calm and consistent handling. You can't really get cross with them as they get cross back, but they are so willing to get thing right for you, that correction is all that they need anyway.

The grey reared in-hand for a while as a yearling. I just sent her forwards everytime (mini lunging style). She decided that doing circles was boring and stopped rearing. She's only done it once since and I just said her name followed by 'walk on' and she did a circle round me. She knew exactly what she'd done wrong :eek: and if it's possible for a horse to look sheepish, she managed it that day.

All my horses live out, so there is no cost difference between them. Oh, their hooves are super. I seriously doubt that they'll ever need shoes, even with all the hacking around the hillside that I've got planned. :)

tankgirl1

Visit site
You asked, so you only have yourself to blame as I'm about to bore your socks off! :p

Flossyeight.jpg

Yearling
Flosstrotthree.jpg

Two year old
Flossgrazing.jpg

Three
100_1787.jpg

100_2208.jpg

She's backed but is having the winter off. She will be a fun horse. I'm not competitive but I might get inspired as she's pretty keen and loves doing stuff. :)

She was so easy to back, I kept waiting for a 'moment' to happen, but not even dirt bikes roaring past the field distracted her from the work that she was being asked to do.

I also have a little two year old gelding. I met his Dam but not his sire as he was homebred rather than coming from a stud like the grey.

100_1832.jpg

100_2203.jpg

100_2201.jpg

I find arabs very easy, partly because they wear their hearts on their sleeves. If they are calm/worried/excited/nervous/happy/whatever - you know about it. The main problem with them, is that they want to be in your pocket the whole time (the grey will be searching for treats, the gelding would like to actually get in your pocket and be carried around). The gelding had a bit of a rocky start as he was ear twitched as a foal and was very headshy and nippy. He's improved so much with calm and consistent handling. You can't really get cross with them as they get cross back, but they are so willing to get thing right for you, that correction is all that they need anyway.

The grey reared in-hand for a while as a yearling. I just sent her forwards everytime (mini lunging style). She decided that doing circles was boring and stopped rearing. She's only done it once since and I just said her name followed by 'walk on' and she did a circle round me. She knew exactly what she'd done wrong :eek: and if it's possible for a horse to look sheepish, she managed it that day.

All my horses live out, so there is no cost difference between them. Oh, their hooves are super. I seriously doubt that they'll ever need shoes, even with all the hacking around the hillside that I've got planned. :)

I'm not usually a fan of arabs, but they are 2 seriously gorgeous beasts!!

Especially like the one of your mare as a yearling :D

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thank you. :D

She's pretty special. Everyone loves her, which surprises some people as they haven't been keen on arabs before. She's just a nice horse and she has a lovely temperament.

Same photoshoot.
Flosstrotfour-1.jpg

Flosstrotfive.jpg

robden

Visit site
Make sure she is registered with the AHS, chipped & DNA'd, as this can be a lot of money to do further down the line if the breeder hasn't done it!

SadKen

Visit site
I can't post pics on my phone but there are some of my lad on my profile as he is now if you want to see! He is 5 and will be 6 in Jan. He is the first Arab that I've owned, although I rode two in the past that were the most wonderful horses.

I bought one because in my experience they are healthy, sound and willing. My lad came to me spooky and bossy having got away with murder. He now works with me very well, but as faracat says wears his heart on his sleeve! There is no point getting cross with him at all, deep breaths and patience. We've done loads of groundwork and have begun to form a bond now. His education is not as advanced as I'd thought so haven't ridden loads, but he will drop straight into an outline of his own accord bless him.

Cost wise... Not much! He's tough, has lovely feet and prefers hay to hard feed. I rug him but honestly think he would be fine without.

If your intended filly is a purebred you could check out her pedigree by looking on allbreedpedigree.com; there are sometimes photos of the horses that you can see. I hope you decide to go for it, good luck! Also... Photos above are all gorgeous!

SadKen

Visit site
Aw thanks, I am rather proud of the little fella! He's quite a bit woolier than those pics now tho! Oh yeah... Another plus... He may be woolier but he still doesn't need clipping :D

TrasaM

Visit site
My friend got a 4 year old in June. He looks a lot like Faracat's grey. He is the friendliest sweetest little chap. He's been no trouble to back and is hacking out with all the others and nothing much seems to bother him.
He likes to explore clothing too so any loose bits will get tugged and examined. Behaves like a big puppy at times :) However you have to beware of the 'use head like giraffe' movement and not get nutted. Love him :)

EstherYoung

Visit site
Arabs tend to find you..... And they get under your skin.

We've got three purebreds and a partbred. They're all very different.

My old guy, H, who is 27 next year is my soulmate:
600046_3905962168301_274880513_n.jpg

We've been everywhere together over the last 23 years and he's done everything the stupid humans have asked him to attempt and then some. He's absolutely bombproof and thinks he's indestructible.

Spud is 15 and knows he's special. If it were down to him he would have his own tent and adoring minions. He's the sort of horse that has you smiling and rolling your eyes in equal measure:
386948_3511385184123_776172925_n.jpg

There's a pic of him as a foal on his breeder's site, 11th row down on the far right (Ffortune)
http://www.peakland-arabians.com/#/gallery/4528924325

We've also got Spud's baby brother Felix who is 2. He's a very different character to Spud, a bit more studious and less flouncy. I think he may end up a similar stamp to his brother but maybe a bit taller, and he will certainly be a late maturer as he's a bit of a weed.
422947_3615226420089_937865635_n.jpg

Last but not least, Wolfie my partbred is 4 next year and has just been lightly backed:
155132_3712195364252_295025494_n.jpg

He is such an intelligent dude and I'm really looking forwards to the future in a non-plan kind of a way.

SadKen

Visit site
Count me in as an adoring minion for Spud! Just what I had in mind when I was looking for an Arab, I badly wanted a grey! He is so beautiful! The photo of your old boy is just lovely EY. Gorgeous gorgeous horses, all of them.

whirlwindhorses

www.whirlwindhorses.co.uk

Flossyeight.jpg

Yearling
Flosstrotthree.jpg

Two year old
Flossgrazing.jpg

Three
100_1787.jpg

100_2208.jpg

100_1832.jpg

100_2203.jpg

100_2201.jpg

Faracat is your chestnut Anya's foal? (bred by Tudor?)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes. :)

ETA, Tudor was furious with the Vet who ear twitched him when he was microchipped and said that he never used that Vet again.

^ Just wanted to make it clear that the breeder was in no way what so ever responsible for the incident.

Suelin

Visit site
Here is my chap at 9 weeks with his dam

Copyof007_7.jpg

As a yearling

4-5-08013.jpg

At 3 being backed

2011_0331JoeRidden0077.jpg

At 4 with me hacking about

Joe-homeagainMay2011-2.jpg

And last year at 5 being all grown up

2012_0519Joe-at-Bishops0030.jpg

He is far more challenging for me this year and has been a little tyke a lot of the time. I am praying for improvement in his attitude just now,.

SeasonalSituation

Visit site
All these are gorgeous.

I am so tempted by this little girl, shes a looker even now and her owners as I said seem in no rush to sell until they have found the right home. Any youngsters I've had experience with have all been relatively easy to do as such and I do have a soft spot for Arabs though have never found one for sale who I instantly thought I want you.

All of you are convincing me more now :D especially if they are less expensive then some breeds and easyish to do.

Last edited:

Charla

Visit site
I bought my Arab earlier on this year. Unbroken rising 8 year old stallion. He was gelding and I started work with him in the summer and he has been such a pleasure and so straight forward! He is so much fun to ride and his schooling is coming along so well now, almost ready to attempt our first walk and trot test. He is so level headed and sane, totally the opposite of my warmblood! And he is also much hardier than my warmblood. Doesn't need so much rugging and feeding. So all in all, I have myself a fantastic, fun horse! Even those who aren't fans of Arabs love him! I will post some photos when next on the computer.

Flame_

Visit site
My photobucket's gone all wrong so can't do pics, but they're all ancient and have been posted before anyway. I'd love to chat on about my arab though. :)

He's 14.2hh, rising seven, darkish chestnut and he's awesome. After the run of my last three horses (sports horses) and few years going...

1 Perfect horse, rarely sound
2 Terrible horse, sometimes sound
3 Super horse, and always sound but frustratingly traffic shy...

I wanted easy. Really, really easy, smaller, safe, fun and he's it. Arabs are genuine, I've never come across one that wasn't, they try to work with you and try not to hurt you. Some are hot and fizzy, I'd quite like another one like that one day. Flame was part bred and she was like that and sometimes its great and sometimes it does your head in. :D They aren't all fiesty, wired hot-heads at all though, my gelding can be so laid back sometimes I wonder if he's actually aware of anything while he's daydreaming.

I can throw him on the lorry and trundle off to wherever on our own with no worries or difficulties. He's just a dream. We do pleasure rides and hope to do some novice endurance next year.

But yeah, get an arab, you won't regret it.

Enfys

Visit site
Quote:
But yeah, get an arab, you won't regret it.

Wise words.

Ditto that.

I haven't been without an arab for over 20 years now and as long as I can have horses I always will have one. :D
I just love everything about them, current girl is getting on a bit and one of the few remaining Bask grand-daughters.

Tarte Au Citron

Visit site
Got to say what a lovely bunch of arabs that have been posted :D i love them, wish i could have one but sadly i think id squish it :eek: that and i have no time/money for another lol!

Just wanted to reiterate what everyone else has said really, in that they are genuine and lovable characters :). My parents bought a 3yr old unbacked chestnut crabbet arab for my then 9yr old (roughly) sister :eek::eek: and he was her 2nd pony ! But it worked out prefectly, he was a little gem who never put a toe out of line. Took a bit of work to get his nose pointing in the right direction (not up:rolleyes: ) but other than that progressed as any other horse might. Also, he was a little piggy who inflated on air and never needed shoes - so pretty cheap to run ;).

So basically what flame said: get an arab you won't regret it ;)

Immy.C

Visit site
I think they're very willing to work with you and are fast learners, so it will be important everything you do makes sense as if they can't justify it, they won't be fooled :) it's a good thing, honest !

haras

Visit site
Do it! I promise you won't regret it!

Arabs are very intelligent, so you need to make sure you start them properly. If you get it wrong, they will remember, but they'll remember if you get it right too.

Here are my girls. Mum and yearling daughter!

jazandchamp28thmay201042.jpg

newforestshow2012007.jpg

showjuly20121.jpg

showjuly0122.jpg

showjuly20125.jpg

Suelin

Visit site
They are very intelligent and you must ask, not tell them. Most are really easy to back. Like everything you have do things the right way with them and be consistent.

My boy is 16 hh so big for an Arab at the moment he is pushing boundaries I am hoping that this doesn't last forever LOL!