tell me about arabs/youngsters?

CalllyH

Visit site
They are fabulous, if I was buying now I would definatley consider one. The only thing I found was although fab under saddle could be bolshy on the ground when they don't get there own way. However I'm now in love with the breed and I think the Arabs can't jump think is a bit of a myth. Maybe not huge but they definatley can!

mandwhy

Visit site
Lovely pictures, I really really like Arabs, I don't think I know anyone else who likes them though haha. Trouble is most of the ones I have seen are rather small, out of interest what saddle widths do all yours tend to take? I always assumed they were narrowish but I think looks may be deceiving?

My friend's uncle used to breed them in south Africa, we hope to go over there one day and I am looking forward to seeing some lovely endurance horses :) he must be 6ft 5 riding not over 15hh so maybe I wouldn't squish one as much as I think!

HashRouge

Visit site
My mare is fantastic :D
I got told she was a star to back and I can easily believe it, as she's such a sweetie even when she's in a silly mood! She's nearly 20 now - trust me, they're hard to get rid of :p. My parents bought her for me when she was 8 and I was 11, and we're still going strong all these years later! Her health isn't quite what it was, but you wouldn't know it to look at her and she's still the same lively, bouncy pony to ride that she's always been. You won't regret buying this filly for one second :D

EstherYoung

Visit site
Saddle size = wiiiiiiiide. Even the 'narrow' ones.

Ease of starting = horses are all individuals. H was dead easy to break to both ride and drive. He is very much a workaholic. Spud if anything is a bit too laid back to ride (he will only put effort in if it was either his idea, or if he can see the point...). Wolf has so far been dead easy.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Count me in as an adoring minion for Spud! Just what I had in mind when I was looking for an Arab, I badly wanted a grey! He is so beautiful! The photo of your old boy is just lovely EY. Gorgeous gorgeous horses, all of them.

Thanks SadKen. I really do keep pinching myself.

The other pics on this thread are beautiful too. You can never have too many arab pics on a thread. Any more for any more?

Suelin

Visit site
Oh alright then! Here is my old boy (18) doing a bit of schooling

11-5-08003.jpg

Clean

2012_0528Joe-at-Bishops0023.jpg

Not so clean!!!!

2010_1228newcamera0024.jpg

Don't you just adore greys???

Charla

Visit site
Mine takes a cob version saddle! Very wide!! And only 16inch due to being short backed!

Suelin, I have a grey too, nightmare haha!

haras

Visit site
My mare has an extra wide 17 inch ideal ramsay. Arabs are wide!

I should also add, my yearling has been wonderful to work with. She takes everything in her stride and learns fast. So far, I've found nothing she's frightened of. We went for our first walk down the lanes last weekend and she loved it. Everything I ask her to do, she does. Having a youngster is so rewarding and I'm loving every minute!

My yearling will be a tall arab too. I think she'll make 15.2/3.

RLS

Visit site
I have a home bred 15hh arab, who is my BABY (hehehe). His mother was just a darling, too.
He was no trouble to back at all, he'd been handled, walked, generally poked about by me since the day he was born. When I finally got on his back I don't think he could give a damn - was far more interested in following my friend around the school as he knew she had sweeties in her pocket! He's now 7yrs and we've had a go at various things, although I'm not hugely competitive. He'll easily jump 75/80cm course of showjumps (and would do more, it's me that's chicken!), will do a decent prelim dressage test, intro jumpcross (including the water jump - that did take a little encouragement!) and he just loves his endurance rides (as do I - think that is our favourite).
He is still a cheecky sod and can be very sharp at times, but he will also totally look after my novice friend when she rides him, and even her 5yr son when being led around the field.
He takes a med-wide 16.5 in saddle.

Victoria25

Visit site
Im the worst person to ask ... just buy :D

I bought my arab as a 3 year old - she's now 11 and is carrying my new baby arab x han in her belly as we speak - amazing horse, she's just like an oversized dog :rolleyes:

I also have a TB ... :D

RLS

Visit site
^^^ yes! I had some one the other day say to me "that horse is just like a big dog". He does sometimes fetch his bucket, if he thinks you should be feeding him!

Lulup

Visit site
Where do you all find your Arabs? I rarely ever see any advertised on the usual horse sites any more and even when I googled I didn't find much - is there a secret website for beautiful, well bred, modern performance type arabs that I haven't discovered yet?! :)))

Victoria25

Visit site
I know, I know …. Pm me if you want his details – it’s where I bought my arab from – buys and sells all over the world so Im sure he’d find you something … he’s a very good friend too … xx

Polotash

Visit site
This guy has some stunning ones if you want to show, but they are pricey... we went and looked at a couple of 3 and 4 year olds years ago, but they were all small and in the end we found one privately.

www.combefarmarabians.com/

There are lots of arab studs around, just google your county and keep searching.

I grew up with them and they have the most fantastic temperaments and real people-horses - love to be with you and love to please you. They have all been totally easy to start and none have been nappy - they are naturally very willing. They do however have an "on" switch, and some take longer than others to switch off again. Even our 21 year old home bred will start snorting and prancing if he sees horses off in front of him. He's also a very wimpy jumper, although I've had two others who were very bold and I competed up to 1m on (I'm a wimp so that's huge for me!).

Hippona

Visit site
You lot are bad.

I've seen my boys full brother for sale at weaning.....I so want, but I don't have the space.:(

Love my arab.....he was 4 when I got him, bit of a project, and has surpassed my expectations. I would love a baby one to totally do myself....

Enfys

Visit site
Where do you all find your Arabs? ))

I have never set out to find arabs, mine have always just kind of fallen into my hands, the poor devils are then forced to stay with me for life.

The first one belonged to my then boyfriend at a racing yard (arabs) she broke down and my brother bought her, in foal (to a Ben Rabba son) for pennies, for my birthday. I had her for 12 years.

The second I wasn't even looking, a friend had been to see him for someone else, he didn't suit, but she phoned me and announced that she had found my next horse. I had him for 5 years.

The current mare was at a stockyard where I was looking at another horse, bullied, starving, in dreadful condition, and in foal - I bought her on sight. I have had her for 6 years now.

They have all been very different personalities, very vocal, very affectionate and very much one person horses, but all incredibly sparky, bouncy and fun to ride and be around.

If I was looking for arabs I would just go to an online sales site and search for arabs. Arabian Lines would also be a port of call.

KVH

Visit site
I must stop clicking on Arab threads.. it makes me turn an envious shade of green every time! :D
Absolutely stunning photos.

AshTay

Visit site
Some very beautiful horses above!
Posted these on another thread very recently but... the best irresponsible decision I ever made was buying this mare...
Last year:
bea_jul11_2.jpg

This year:
545122_10150795936571212_597101211_12067705_1245503540_n.jpg

SadKen

Visit site
Found some photos of my Rob when he was younger!

picture.php

This one was taken when he was a baby.

picture.php

He's two and a half in this one.

picture.php

This was him at the beginning of September. He's quite woolly compared to this now but still doesn't need a clip.

Abbeygale

Visit site
I went to see this pathetic little 2yo a few years ago, who I had only found out about through a friend of a friend...
DSC01839.jpg

He was a nightmare, hardly handled, scared of his own shadow, skinny didn't cover the half of it. Turned out he had been abandoned with 2 other colts, as the (rather wealthy owner) just wasn't interested :(. After much time spent with him, I eventually got him backed, which was rather interesting... And ended up with this
DSC02680.jpg

Unfortunately as he was starting to come really good, starting to finally build up from being such a skinny min, and settle down into ridden work he got kicked in the field and had to be pts :(

Roll on 12 months, and this creature found me (again 2yo)
d6ff75ad.jpg

She initially was on loan to me, and again was a tad on the poor side, but nothing like Roo was. After a few months of being with me, and getting to know each other, she has turned into this
0a59700d.jpg

ba5b230c.jpg

I would love to say that she is fluffy, but she is waaaay more than fluffy now. She's like a wooly mammoth ;).

Roo appeared a moderate width to look at, but had an XW gullet in his saddle. Lola is yet wider still :O. Roo was a really lovely horse to ride, responsive and rewarding. Lola is a calmer horse than Roo was, but not without her moments that's for sure lol. Both of them are /were horses that learn incredibly fast, but you have to be cool, clear and calm in your direction, as if they get their knickers in a twist, all hell can break loose!!! ;)

And yes - buy the Arab!!!

texenstar

Visit site
I don't have any baby pictures of my Arab as I bought him when he was 14 but he has seriously been the best horse I have ever had and I still have him. I even flew him with me when I moved back to England. Honestly, I have met very few 'bad' Arabs. :) Some photos which people may have seen before -

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

He also does some lovely dressage but I have no pictures :)

hackedoff

Visit site
Some lovely horses on this thread! I wanted an Arab for years and did a lot of research pre my old boy having to be pts in August as I had planned to buy a youngster to bring on as he retired. Sadly he died before I got the planned youngster. I found Arabian lines folk very helpful, here's my new girl

http://pbr25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/brychen/575963_10151987903275401_972228067_n_zps1fae7d22.jpg

Which just goes to show how far researching and day dreaming can get you! ;-)
Good luck with your filly she sounds lovely, I'm still on Arabian lines forum they are nice folk.

ecrozier

Visit site
If you search back through my old threads you will find some pictures of my J. He's been the horse of a lifetime for me for last 10 years, taught me masses, been all over the country doing all sorts of things from national RC champs to beach rides etc etc. he's the easiest soul in the world to look after, so well mannered. He's fairly hardy and has great legs/feet. Purely due to time an finances he's on loan to a friend at the moment but at same yard as my other horse and in same field etc so I still see him twice a day every day! Couldn't be without him that's for sure.

mandwhy

Visit site
Ooh there are some lovely ones at that combe farm place! All the ones on horsemart are rather older (17-22 one of which was the subject of a thread about selling on oldies t'other day), but I get the*impression their ridden career can stretch quite a long way in a lot of cases?