Tell me about Arabs....

foxy1

Visit site
I've been thinking about the future, when I'm able to buy another, and a friend suggested an Arab or PBA.

I have a long standing back condition which is aggravated by the rolling/lumpy canter of a cob, (the ones I've ridden anyway) so I'm specifically looking for a small horse with comfortable, level paces.

I also like to hack so would like a fairly sensible sort, although I like forward-going, and I like low level jumping, BE 90/ 100 ish.
What can people tell me about Arabs and part-breds?

Last edited:

Wishfilly

Visit site
I've been thinking about the future, when I'm able to buy another, and a friend suggested an Arab or PBA.

I have a long standing back condition which is aggravated by the rolling/lumpy canter of a cob, (the one's I've ridden anyway) so I'm specifically looking for a small horse with comfortable, level paces.

I also like to hack so would like a fairly sensible sort, although I like forward-going, and I like low level jumping, BE 90/ 100 ish.
What can people tell me about Arabs and part-breds?

I used to work for a lady who bred arabs, and so I have experience of quite a few! I wouldn't describe their paces as comfortable or level- particular the trot can be quite elevated and bouncy- the canter is obviously smoother but there can still be quite a lot of energy going upwards. I'm probably not explaining this very well, but there is a typical arab way of going and I'm not sure it would suit you!

The PBAs/Anglos I know have much smoother paces.

Most of the ones I know are pretty brave out hacking, and reasonably sensible in most situations- but obviously there is a lot of variation between individuals, some are much spookier than others, and the ones that are spooky can be very sharp! Definitely forward, and they will quickly learn where you canter etc, often a lot of jogging etc if you hold them back, which may not be the most comfortable for you! Most are pretty intelligent and can get themselves out of trouble, which is a plus for me!

I do know a few people who've evented arabs and part breds, up to 90cm at least, and done well. You'd need the right one for this, but it's definitely possible.

This sounds really negative, and to be clear, I really loved all the arabs I got to ride at work- they were amazing horses and definitely fit the definition of a nice, forwards going allrounder. But I just wouldn't describe their paces as comfortable as such.

If that's a priority, I'd definitely look at part breds first- for eventing a nice anglo-arab can make a really lovely low level eventer- but I don't see them around very much!

foxy1

Visit site
Wishfilly, Thank you for your comprehensive reply, that's really interesting and helpful!
Maybe I should start another thread- What is the most comfortable (pace-wise) horse you have ridden?! ?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My first horse after my spinal injury was an anglo-arab (50/50) and she's wonderful. I had owned an anglo-arab previously who was also wonderful, so I had specifically looked for arabs and their part breds (minimum 50% arab). I also now own two purebred arabs too.

Of course there are differences within the breed and individuals will have their own quirks and personalities, but that is the same with all breeds. However lumping them together, they are wonderful horses. I do like their paces and their friendly temperaments. They are very much heart-on-their-sleeve types and flag their tails when exciting stuff is happening. Just a joy to be around IMO.

Going into their paces further. I find that a 'rolling' action really sets my back pain off. The horses I have ridden with that action have mainly been cobs. My gelding (arab) who is very typey with a seahorse head is wonderfully smooth, he just floats.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Wishfilly, Thank you for your comprehensive reply, that's really interesting and helpful!
Maybe I should start another thread- What is the most comfortable (pace-wise) horse you have ridden?! ?

It might not be a bad idea! FWIW, some of the part breds I have ridden had lovely comfortable paces, but I wouldn't describe any of the pure breds as having comfortable paces as such- they all also would jog when excited, which a lot of people find hurts their back, even if riding doesn't hurt otherwise.

But I'd maybe see if you could find one to ride- because it might be their way of going is okay for you- it's obvious very different to a cob!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
This is my anglo-arab. Before my physical issues got worse I could take her out for hours and not have back pain. I cannot express how amazing she has been as a disabled owner/rider. She's a sweetheart too.

Attachments

• Carrie_buttercups.jpg
    Carrie_buttercups.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 26

Wishfilly

Visit site
This is my anglo-arab. Before my physical issues got worse I could take her out for hours and not have back pain. I cannot express how amazing she has been as a disabled owner/rider. She's a sweetheart too.

She is gorgeous. I think anglos are lovely, and are really suited to the job of "all-rounder for small adults/teens"- but people don't seem to breed them, which is a real shame!

HashRouge

Visit site
I love Arabs, and as with any breed you do get all sorts of different temperaments. That said, bearing in mind your requirements, I would perhaps try a few (if you can) before you decide if an Arab would be right for you. Just because they can be sharper/ spookier, and I can't imagine that would be great for your back condition! I think they generally have lovely paces, but they can be pretty bouncy, so again it might be a bit hit and miss as to whether you get on with them or not. I'm just thinking neither my share horse nor my own mare, who is retired, would be ideal for what you describe (they are both purebreds). My share horse is very sharp and spooky, and on his more dramatic days is prone to the sort of spooks that really jar your back! He also has an extraordinarily bouncy trot with a lot of upward movement. I mean, I think it's super comfortable, but it is quite a *lot*, so might aggravate your back more. My retired mare was never quite so spooky, though she could levitate sideways with the best of them, but she was prone to jogging quite a lot, and is also the only horse I have ever come across who would do what was essentially a completely untrained passage under saddle when she got over-excited. She had her jogging, which was quite common, and then her "passage", which she didn't do very often but was always accompanied by a great deal of very loud snorting.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I haven't ridden an arab that has a rolling motion and that includes my high % Crabbet who is a small tank compared to say an Egyptian bred arab. I don't personally have issues with horses that have a pause (or what feels like one) in their trot. I've ridden some big moving warmbloods with that kind of pause and it didn't set my back pain off. It is a personal thing. Maybe the OP needs to ride a few different horses to work out what suits them?

Wishfilly

Visit site
It's a great shame. They would suit a lot of people and it's about time they came back into fashion.

It really is. In my experience of them, they are the sort of horse that really can have a go at just about anything and usually be competitive, whilst still being ridable by just about anyone. As well as being relatively straightforward to keep, a nice size and usually pretty to look at!

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think the arab blood can bring a bit of toughness too. I wish I'd bred from mine but I've missed that boat as she's now in her 20's.

Agreed, all the arabs I have known have never really been sick or sorry (bar the occasional injury) and tend to have good feet- which I think really helps the TB side of anglos.

I think there's a reason so many breeds have benefitted from a bit of arab blood over the years, too!

planete

Visit site
A Western trained quarter horse is the smoothest I have ridden. I have had pure and part-bred Arabs. They were fun, sharp but sensible, but I would not have chosen them for a bad back as too big striding. Icelandics can be very smooth if gaited but probably too small and not known for jumping.

pistolpete

Visit site
Funnily we were talking about Arabs this morning my friend has one. I got thrown from one as a youngster and never really liked them after that. Did ride a part bred for a while who was the sweetest kindest easiest horse to ride.his name was Classic and he was a sweetheart.

cariadbach10

Visit site
I’ve had Arabs over fifteen years and hadn’t even thought about how comfortable they are as you just get used to what you’re used to. I also had a QH for a year and he was also smooth and comfy. What highlighted for me how comfortable both these breeds actually are was riding a Clydesdale last weekend. I felt like every bone in my body had been shattered and put back for a week afterwards! You forget that centuries of selective breeding went into creating riding horses you can ride for miles on- until you ride a horse designed to plough fields!

TPO

Visit site
I had a Crabbet Arabian mare. He paces were smooth but I wouldn't say she was a relaxing ride!

A (well trained) western trained QH all day long if you want ease, smooth paces and comfort

paddy555

Visit site
I’ve had Arabs over fifteen years and hadn’t even thought about how comfortable they are as you just get used to what you’re used to. I also had a QH for a year and he was also smooth and comfy. What highlighted for me how comfortable both these breeds actually are was riding a Clydesdale last weekend. I felt like every bone in my body had been shattered and put back for a week afterwards! You forget that centuries of selective breeding went into creating riding horses you can ride for miles on- until you ride a horse designed to plough fields!

that's interesting. There is a Clyde riding place near us and I was watching their ride yesterday.. They all set off to canter up a hill and I wondered what it felt like.

foxy1

Visit site
I haven't ridden an arab that has a rolling motion and that includes my high % Crabbet who is a small tank compared to say an Egyptian bred arab. I don't personally have issues with horses that have a pause (or what feels like one) in their trot. I've ridden some big moving warmbloods with that kind of pause and it didn't set my back pain off. It is a personal thing. Maybe the OP needs to ride a few different horses to work out what suits them?
A "pause" in the trot is fine - I have ridden a Friesian which had a very up and down trot which was uncomfortable, and the canter was dreadful ( for me)

I have ridden full TBs that had lovely level paces, and others that were not so comfy. I thought that the" level" feeling was due to the longer, daisy cutting type action. But maybe that's not the case

Ratface

Visit site
My first horse after my spinal injury was an anglo-arab (50/50) and she's wonderful. I had owned an anglo-arab previously who was also wonderful, so I had specifically looked for arabs and their part breds (minimum 50% arab). I also now own two purebred arabs too.

Of course there are differences within the breed and individuals will have their own quirks and personalities, but that is the same with all breeds. However lumping them together, they are wonderful horses. I do like their paces and their friendly temperaments. They are very much heart-on-their-sleeve types and flag their tails when exciting stuff is happening. Just a joy to be around IMO.

Going into their paces further. I find that a 'rolling' action really sets my back pain off. The horses I have ridden with that action have mainly been cobs. My gelding (arab) who is very typey with a seahorse head is wonderfully smooth, he just floats.
Fifty-six years ago, I had a big young TB rear up and fall backwards on top of me. My pelvis was fractured in three places. When it mended, I was left with one leg three inches shorter than the other, but it's never stopped me taking part in a wide range of competitive sports.
I've had Arabs for the last thirty years. I love them, quirks and all! Mine have been a beautiful purebred Crabbet, a Polish, an Egyptian and my current Crabbet/Polish.
I love their fire, kindness and determination. They're brave, fast and comfortable. Sometimes, the brakes fade . . .
Although my current chap is a tad "Don't You Know Who I Am?" I know he'll look after me when the chips are down.
Other horses always feel a bit stodgy in comparison. I can (usually!) control mine by breathing and weight aids. He knows when I'm feeling a bit fragile and dials down his flounce quotient accordingly.
He's 29 now and will be my last horse. Last one - Best one!

Flame_

Visit site
Oh thank you, I love to go on about my arabs...

Flame, unregistered part bred, presumed arab x section d. She was super uphill, bouncy, nuts (spooked and napped all the way out, plunged and went sideways all the way home) but almost impossible to come off (we actually landed at the bottom of a drainage ditch once with me still on board. She jumped out and we bounced on). She was comfy, thinking back, and just bloody marvelous. She really could jump but I was about 13 and shite, and she had navic and arthritis so we didn't manage a lot.

My 2 purebred geldings, past and present, are/were comfy, but in fact not as comfy as the ISH mare I had before them (who I bought because her paces, particularly canter, were just wonderfully smooth. I hope she's ended up a hunter, if she has someone will be smug to be sat on her). They are also not jumpers. Last gelding had a low set neck and current horse is markedly croup high, neither showed enthusiasm or aptitude for it, not helped by the fact that, at 42, I'm still pretty shite :p I gave up jumping more than the occasional log or cross-pole in the first place because it aggravates an old back injury and I know I can't ride big moving horses, but for hacking and flatwork the arabs are plenty comfy enough. What I find great about them is that they have really entertaining, endearing personalities to work with. Riding is generally safe but never dull. :cool:

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
The two best horses I've ever had were 50% Arab (one TBX and one NFX) and they were the comfiest, most talented, most trainable, bravest, excellent to handle in all situations and generally the most deightful horses ever. They were both 'sensitive' or 'hot' which suited me as I think I must have the opposite to the 'hot seat' and generally bore most horses to death and can't be doing with anything that has to be nagged into working with me. I love their sensitivity to the subtilest of aids, their generous nature and intellegance, their toughness and their flambouant beauty. Can't beat them in my experience. But I might be biased.....

palo1

Visit site
My half bred Arab (Egyptian) is exceptionally intelligent, kind, fast and opinionated. NOTHING escapes his notice, little escapes from comment. He makes me feel like a better human and a better rider. I would never have thought I could have a horse that was so, in every way...I dunno, spectacular?! I respect him hugely but he drives me nuts with his drama, opinions and quirks. I love him unconditionally and he has given me some extraordinary experiences. I hope I am never without some Arab 'magic' in my life.

ETA - I might have had less of the 'drama' if I had had more of a Crabbet or Bahraini strain...Egyptians are notoriously 'bot'!! Our 1/2 Bahraini arab is also a spectacular horse but soooo laid back bless him!

Last edited:

cauda equina

Visit site
My Crabbet is interested, polite, tells me what he thinks but listens too and although he can get anxious about stuff he doesn't go out of his way to be dramatic

I love him to bits and he's super to hack but I guess there's a reason you don't see many Arabs eventing

palo1

Visit site
My Crabbet is interested, polite, tells me what he thinks but listens too and although he can get anxious about stuff he doesn't go out of his way to be dramatic

I love him to bits and he's super to hack but I guess there's a reason you don't see many Arabs eventing

It might be something to do with the constant 'discusssion' about the best way to do things lol!! Also, whilst most Arabs are enormously athletic and with considerable scope I fear they can't quite see the point of some 'disciplines'. Once mine has done 10 minutes of lovely schooling he is like 'I've done what you ask nicely, now what are we up to?'!! Jumping is something that he thinks is a waste of his wonderful length of stride - after all, he can go round much more efficiently than waste time in the air though he does jump nicely. Mine just likes to go places, gallop, keep going, going, going hahahaha!!

HashRouge

Visit site
It might be something to do with the constant 'discusssion' about the best way to do things lol!! Also, whilst most Arabs are enormously athletic and with considerable scope I fear they can't quite see the point of some 'disciplines'. Once mine has done 10 minutes of lovely schooling he is like 'I've done what you ask nicely, now what are we up to?'!! Jumping is something that he thinks is a waste of his wonderful length of stride - after all, he can go round much more efficiently than waste time in the air though he does jump nicely. Mine just likes to go places, gallop, keep going, going, going hahahaha!!
Mine never had much time for jumping either! I mean, she could do it, but she would start refusing after a couple of goes. Like yours though, she could gallop and gallop! I remember riding out with a new lady on our yard, on her young OTTB, when I was about 14. We got to a good canter spot and she said to me, "oh, don't be surprised if he really leaves you behind as he's super fast"...you should have seen her face when we got to the end and I was right behind her. She's still the fastest horse I've ever ridden, and she's only 14.2hh! It's like having wings. My share horse isn't as good, because he's so spooky that I'm scared to really let him stride out and gallop, as he's always on the look out for dragons and monsters and thinks nothing of slamming the brakes on in a split second. I fell off him once when we were cantering and a bird flew out and spooked him. Little toad legged it and ended up on the road, so I absolutely don't trust him not to knob off if he ditches me. He's Egyptian and halter bred though, whereas my retired mare is a lovely Crabbet/ Russian mix, so maybe that makes some of the difference.

paddy555

Visit site
It might be something to do with the constant 'discusssion' about the best way to do things lol!! Also, whilst most Arabs are enormously athletic and with considerable scope I fear they can't quite see the point of some 'disciplines'. !

my arab stallion would happily have gone round hunter trail type jumps because we were going somewhere and they impeded his progress. As for show jumps when you've jumped one then what's the point of keep repeating the exercise. :D

Jango

Visit site
I like a part bred Arab, welsh D cross or TB but honestly I've not got any time for mostly/full arabs. Maybe I've been hugely unlucky, but the majority of the ones I've had dealings with through friends/other liveries over 20 years have been spooky, hysterical and generally a pain to deal with. Honestly I would think the number of purebred Arabs at BE100 is vanishingly small. I go to a lot of events and I have hardly seen any. Some are able to jump, but often like a stag rather than a decent bascule. Theres a reason a lot of decent amateur horses are ID/connie and crosses, they are generally comfortable, level headed horses with a good brain and jump. With your back issues I'd take the breed out of the equation and go and see some horses already doing well at 80/90 and see if you can find one where their action suits your physical issues. Arabs tend to be quite marmite (it's clear which side I'm on! ?), Good luck!