Tell me about events in the South East please

suzi

Visit site
So with our mixed runs over the past few weeks I am trying to plan our options. This being my first ever season eventing at any level I'd be grateful for any insight into courses, especially those that suit a fairly inexperienced combination.

I'm at Iping next weekend then the BRC champs. Iping we're entered for the 90 BRC champs will be at 80.

I was thinking as options Borde Hill (80), Milton Keynes (80 or 90), Firle (90) these three are all on consecutive weekends and while I am sure he needs exposure (it's the fence judges / spectators / whole competition experience that needs addressing) I'm not sure that running three weekends in a row is ok? I mean he's fit enough but.....

Are there any other options I could consider? Or any well run unaffs over BE courses?

All comments welcome!

my other alternative is to find someone more experienced to take him round a few....but then it's not my success when we get sorted :S

D

Deleted member 104317

There's an Unaffiliated at Tweseldown on the 16th of August which is usually nice. Personally I wouldn't run him three weeks in a row, but if he's fit then possibly do two with a weekend off in the middle? Really good luck with him and have lots of fun! Look forward to reading your reports! :)

almostthere

Visit site
Hi - I have run 2 weekends in a row - one at 8o and the next at 90 (which was a big one) but like you it was more to get her the exposure. I would normally not run more than every two weeks though. As to the ones you have asked about - Borde Hill is normally seen as a reasonable track (ie not the easiest) but, as with all of these, it depends on your horses preferences? It's a bold track for 90 and dressage is on a slope (mine went down sloping centre line, dropped on his forehand and stayed there ;)) and the warm up can be next to xc which can cause problems depending on the time of day you dressage. For some reason the sj seems to cause problems but I personally haven't had a problem with it although I only did the 80 there! Have not ridden at MK although walked the courses a couple of times and again a fair track. In terms of positioning, dressage is well away from xc which is good for a green horse. Again, not been to Firle but loads of people last year commented on the "big atmosphere" with a lot going on so not sure if that is what you want or not? I did Tweseldown two weeks ago...great track at 90 (if they keep it for unaffil) but BIG!! Good luck whatever you decide....

muffinmunsh

Visit site
Milton Keynes is a lovely, very professionally run event with good courses. Iping is a nice, hunting type of course with good ground (sandy and usually good even in dry or wet conditions). Do walk the course thoroughly though, as last year a few people got caught out on the hill, missing a fence or two. Firle is quite bold. Haven't been to Borde Hill. Brightling is bold and a proper fitness test for horse and rider. Chilham is one of my favourites but already full up for the BE in August. Brooksby Melton College (BRC champs) is also one of my favourites. It is a very fair course, with a good mix of bold & technical.