Tell me about Exmoors for adults

Finlib

Visit site
I am getting a lot older and bouncing less well as well as getting on and off big horses so thinking about an Exmoor as a riding prospect.Got 2 elderly(1 T/B retired and 1 arab semi retired Also have a Pre/T/B (nearly 16HH) which I love schooling and doing liberty work with(We have an outdoor and an indoor school) but thinking it would be nice to have a sure footed pony to just go off on the hills .Bridleways around us aren't terrible but a lot have several gates which it in impossible to open and shut mounted (yes I have reported them to no avail) so need to get off several times in a ride also the going is tussocks and narrow in width.Rode ponies in my youth .
I am 5ft 3 and about 58 Kilo.
Any adults here ride Exmoors

sky1000

Visit site
Have a look at the Exmoor Pony Centre Website. They are the Moorland Mousie Trust charity and they love talking about Exmoors.

Maybe?

Visit site
I do!

My mare is technically oversized at 13.2hh but I also ride another 12.2 with no trouble (I'm 5'7'' 8st)

Im generalising here but they do have a very.. Unique temperament and tend to be very independent and stubborn. They are also highly intelligent strong little ponies and often know it ;)

I'm yet to meet an 'easy' exmoor - I am regularly in contact with about 6 at the moment!! Though I know plenty that with patient handling have gone on to do fabulous things :)

It did take a long time for me to bond with my mare. To start with she was very skittish and would plant and/or try to run from any situations that she was unsure of (so literally any situation she met outside of her stable...) but now that we have worked each other out I don't think I've ever met such a responsive, loyal, and sure footed little creature.. Definitely the perfect hacking pony! :)

Hipo

Visit site
Yes, I'm 5'2" and 9 stone. Our Exmoor is 12.2. She is supposed to be my daughters pony, she is taller than me, but she's gone to university.
Pony is very sensible and brave hacking and as sure footed as a mountain goat!
Will agree that they can have a quirky personality, ours took a little while to get used to us and she can still be a bit iffy with new people, but she has a very relaxed outlook on life.

Last edited:

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I am 45, 5'3" & 8 stone. I am owned by an unbacked rising 5 Exmoor & also ride my friend's. They are fantastic ponies. Able to carry weight, speedy if needed & really can turn a hoof to anything (see my post about the Exmoor Gallery).

They are hardy, robust, live on fresh air, but DO have a very quirky side.

As mentioned earlier, the Moorland Mousie Trust are fab. They often have ponies for sale / looking for homes / jobs.

Do yourself a huge favour & let one of these huge charactered "Horses on little legs" into your life!

Finlib

Visit site
Based in West Wales only a couple of hours from Exmoor .Going to Exmoor in August for 10 days for a holiday thought I might head over to the mousie moorland trust and ride one just to bet a feel for them

DanceswithCows

Visit site
I'm 5ft7 and I, er, weigh more than you guys. I didn't want to ride an exmoor because I thought I'd squish him but I was urged to have a go by his owner who weighed the same - wow! I was so impressed at how I didn't feel undersized on such a ridiculously small animal;they are so broad they take up the leg amazingly. He didn't seem to have any problems carrying my weight, he was super forward and responsive and being so close to the ground, I felt safer anyway. I was instantly convinced! If you want a plod I'd maybe look elsewhere perhaps but no doubt lazy exmoors exist if you search long enough....I like forward though!

Finlib

Visit site
Not looking for a plod just something sure footed and easier to get on and off .I have ridden mostly ex racing T\B and Arabs since leaving ponies as a 20 year old but now in my 60's need something closer to the ground forward going is fine.

sky1000

Visit site
This is great. I reckon, from what you are used to, and are looking for, you will like at least one of them and probably far more than that. Do get in touch with Moorland Mousie Trust before you go so that they know you are looking and what for. Linzi is very sensitive to and knowledgeable about the ponies. The only thing about them that seems small, in my opinion, is that their ears are nearer than usual.

Last edited: