Tell me about Fells

Fjord

Visit site
So now I'm totally in love with the Small Hairy Tank, tell me about your Fells, or those you have met or ridden. How big were they and what was their personality like? I've got quite a good handle on the Fjord mindset, but know very little about Fells apart from the fact that they are gorgeous.

Pictures would be good too. 😊

tda

Visit site
I have personally had two different types, I had a fell gelding as a young teen who had previously been driven who was an absolute saint, my dad just plonked me on him bareback and I rode him a couple of miles home. I only bumbled around the village and tracks but he was never naughty .

when I was about 30, already had two dales ponies, bought a rising 3yr old fell filly from a local dealer, she was thin and in very poor condition, we started walking her out in harness, my Oh sat on her, she started putting weight on, big tummy, I was not overly concerned until one morning went to the field and she had given birth to a huge (for her)colt. Sadly he never made it out of the bag. 😐
I had her started the following year, but she was just too quick for me, I've only fallen off 4 times and 3 were from her. I sent her to a friend to sell and a girl at the yard fell in love with her, sold her connemara and bought the fell. She still owns her and has done everything with her hunting, xc, beach rides, everything . Right home for that pony

I absolutely love Dales and Fell ponies 😍😍

southerncomfort

Visit site
I had a Fell type a few years ago. I didn't know his background and he was clearly carrying some baggage. Very affectionate but far to hot and quirky for me.

Then 3 years ago, when I'd pretty much decided to give up horses after losing my old welsh cob, I saw Bo (unbacked 4 year old Fell gelding) advertised by his breeder. For reasons I can't explain I messaged his breeder viewed him the next day and collected him a couple of days later. Sometimes you just know!

He was so easy to train, and the easiest ever to back and ride away.

I absolutely love the bones of him. He is so much fun, will turn his hoof to anything. Absolutely loves his hacking, pretty much bombproof in traffic. He is the pony I dreamed of having when I was a girl.

He is very in your face and doesn't seem to understand the concept of personal space. Presents his muzzle for kissing to anyone visiting the yard.

Leave anything lying around and he'll pick it up and run away with it, including my husband's hammer when he's trying to fix the fence!

He is hilarious and endlessly entertaining. Honestly, he is just brilliant!

ArklePig

Visit site
I have only ever ridden one. He was class. Sure footed as a mountain goat and very comfortable without being boring. I'd love one if I ever get properly back into riding and I lose some weight. I'm just here for the pics I hope people post :p

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
My favourite subject!

Mine is 13.2 and built like a vertically challenged tank, he's 4 now and should hopefully be backed by the end of summer.
He's a fantastic pony, he's so clever and learns so quickly and will try and do anything you ask of him if you ask nicely, if you're rude or unnecessarily forceful he will get offended and tell you to get lost till you can be polite about it! Once you've got him onside he will try his little heart for you!
He's also the most friendly and nosy pony ever, he loves to be involved in everything and watches everything, if he was human he'd be the worst curtain twitching busybody! He also likes to entertain himself by turning on taps, moving water troughs and stealing the short piece of hosepipe on the field tap and chasing his friends round with it.
He is the best pony and so much fun!

Screenshot_20230812_143842_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230812_152936_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230812_152850_Gallery.jpg

melle

Visit site
Our Fell was bought on a whim from a facebook post as an unbacked 4 year old. She has been the most genuine pony to back and bring on. Despite being incredibly strong at times, she has been 2nd pony to both children moving off their Shetland pony. I would have another in a heartbeat. We have done PC, showjumped, xc and endurance and she tackles everything with gusto. Sometimes the kids have to hang on and just enjoy the ride!

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I had a Fell type a few years ago. I didn't know his background and he was clearly carrying some baggage. Very affectionate but far to hot and quirky for me.

Then 3 years ago, when I'd pretty much decided to give up horses after losing my old welsh cob, I saw Bo (unbacked 4 year old Fell gelding) advertised by his breeder. For reasons I can't explain I messaged his breeder viewed him the next day and collected him a couple of days later. Sometimes you just know!

He was so easy to train, and the easiest ever to back and ride away.

I absolutely love the bones of him. He is so much fun, will turn his hoof to anything. Absolutely loves his hacking, pretty much bombproof in traffic. He is the pony I dreamed of having when I was a girl.

He is very in your face and doesn't seem to understand the concept of personal space. Presents his muzzle for kissing to anyone visiting the yard.

Leave anything lying around and he'll pick it up and run away with it, including my husband's hammer when he's trying to fix the fence!

He is hilarious and endlessly entertaining. Honestly, he is just brilliant!

Mine also struggles with personal space, he also picks up anything he can reach and runs off with it, more than once I've forgotten when I've changed his friend rug and he's picked it up and dragged it off.

So far he's been fab to back he is just not concerned by any of it, hopefully in a few weeks I'll be boring everyone to death with ridden photos of him 🤣

Visit site
Fells are just overgrown shetland ponies 😂

They are brilliant. Some of the very best ponies you will ever meet in your life! I got a Fell pony when I was 15yo, Jasper. I got him as freshly broken 5yo who had lived on the fells til he was 3yo then the person who had him from 3 to 5 let him grow up to mature before sending him to be backed. To ride he was forward going but safe as houses! He could jump the moon. We mainly did showing but I did hunt him the odd time. I lost him to colic at 18yo.

One day I will get myself another fell pony to ride.

Visit site
Jasper J was a Lownthwaite pony. The jumping pic went around the world on a Samsung ad when they were releasing a new phone about a decade ago.

The Highland Show pic was when I persuaded Magnus to ride him as it would be the only chance anyone had of beating the Kilmannan Dale's pony. Instead the pair wrong legged it numerous times 😂 the last pic is from his first HOYS class at the Scottish Horse Show - with the Kilmannan Stud owner in the background, total coincidence! These pics were taken 2004/5/6/7 ish.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230812-161114_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812-161114_Facebook.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20230812-161103_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812-161103_Facebook.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20230812-160917_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812-160917_Facebook.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 47

Kunoichi73

Visit site
I occasionally ride one at my RS. He's only part Fell though, the other part is Friesian. He's brilliant on hacks, loves beach rides but is a b****r in the school - doesn't cooperate, likes going backwards etc. He's gorgeous to look at though.

Of all the breeds I would like to own, the 2 I always come back to are Fells and Arabs.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I occasionally ride one at my RS. He's only part Fell though, the other part is Friesian. He's brilliant on hacks, loves beach rides but is a b****r in the school - doesn't cooperate, likes going backwards etc. He's gorgeous to look at though.

Of all the breeds I would like to own, the 2 I always come back to are Fells and Arabs.

Bo hates the school, so we rarely go in mine, but we have polework/TREC lessons elsewhere which he actually seems to enjoy.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've had a good number since my 1st one arrived in 82. I say a good number as I used to back them for various breeders as well as having my own. They have shown, done PC and RC, hunted, hacking, stressage, sj and even gymkhana games etc.

My current mare is very intuitive, adores jumping and 'doing things'. Together we won the FPS pony performance award the last 2 years as we turn a hoof to everything

They are very trainable and retain all they have learned, so the main advice I can give, is to install buttons the best way you can.

I hope you have a great partnership.

Cloball

Visit site
Screenshot_20230709-163956-748.pngScreenshot_20230712-194131-849.pngThis is a 16hh TB in leg warmers shrunk to 13.2hh. She outwalks horses on hacks and is far too clever 😂 she's being so much fun to school now we've worked out the legs don't have to go 100mph at all times. She's totally bombproof to traffic and jets and shoves her head into her bridle to go out exploring. She's wrapped everyone around her fluffy toes.

gallopingby

Visit site
Nicola Evans sometimes is looking for people who want to learn more about fell ponies and usually has a few looking for new homes. They only go to the right home and after a proper assessment. Have you tried looking on the Fell Pony Society website or one of the FB pages rekated to the breed? Not all fell ponies are suitable for children, they can be strong and need correct handling when young. As in all breeds some bloodlines are possibly more suited to children than others and they’re no longer the cheap £150 foal from the sales.

FAYEFUDGE

Visit site
Jasper J was a Lownthwaite pony. The jumping pic went around the world on a Samsung ad when they were releasing a new phone about a decade ago.

The Highland Show pic was when I persuaded Magnus to ride him as it would be the only chance anyone had of beating the Kilmannan Dale's pony. Instead the pair wrong legged it numerous times 😂 the last pic is from his first HOYS class at the Scottish Horse Show - with the Kilmannan Stud owner in the background, total coincidence! These pics were taken 2004/5/6/7 ish.
I didn’t realise they could carry a man!!! Always worry about being too heavy on a pony

Visit site
I didn’t realise they could carry a man!!! Always worry about being too heavy on a pony

Native ponies are strong and sturdy. Big boned, well sprung ribs, deep chests and short coupled - it makes them the ideal weight carriers within reason. A 13.2hh Fell pony will be able to carry far more weight than a 13.2hh show pony.

RHM

Visit site
LOVE fell ponies! I grew up riding them as we lived next door to a stud farm. My non horsey parents just left me to it as did the breeder and they didn’t kill 10 year old me! In general I could choose the direction they went in, they chose the speed!
I have one still to this day and wouldn’t be without them. Mine is as others mentioned FULL of character and is absolutely the love of my life. (Don’t tell the OH).

He had to semi retire early due to a bad field injury but before that he was the easiest horse to back. Could have hacked him down a duel carriage way he was so bombproof. Now he spends his days ambling about on the moors with small people in tow.

Most of the ones I have met are extremely kind and patient with kids. But certainly know how to step it up a gear for adults!