Tell me about Fells

Ratface

Visit site
Fells are just overgrown shetland ponies 😂

They are brilliant. Some of the very best ponies you will ever meet in your life! I got a Fell pony when I was 15yo, Jasper. I got him as freshly broken 5yo who had lived on the fells til he was 3yo then the person who had him from 3 to 5 let him grow up to mature before sending him to be backed. To ride he was forward going but safe as houses! He could jump the moon. We mainly did showing but I did hunt him the odd time. I lost him to colic at 18yo.

One day I will get myself another fell pony to ride.
Pretty much what has been written above! My Fell pony mare, Molly, was bought after my retired polo pony was pts due to what was probably kissing spines.
She was a bold and brilliant creature who took me hunting, show jumping, gymkhana games, cross country adventures, long county wide rides to stay with school friends and cousins in the summer holidays.
She was 4yrs old when I bought her and 18yrs old when she was pts due to an unmanageable episode of colic.
She was opinionated, safety conscious, nosey and willing to have a go at everything that I asked of her.

dominobrown

Visit site
I have probably broken in around 20+ fell ponies, or had a lot to do with them.
They are not everyones cup of tea. They are generally not small 'numb' cob types but quite often a bit more switched on, some people think they should be very quiet, which they can be, however, especially the hill bred types are very clever and have good self preservation. They often give the impression they don't need a 'stupid' human! Basically I have never met a Fell that is 'brain dead', they are thinking ponies so some people do struggle. They are a lot of fun though. I won the performance trials at linnel woods on one (amazing cross country/ hunting ponies) and had a brilliant time and although not world beaters (compared to horse specifically bred to jump) have a nice little jump and can be quite talented. They are very strong and will carry a surprising amount of weight. Also they are the most sure footed thing you will ever sit on, I remember being on a fell (hill/ mountain) and needing to get back to the road quickly (it was an emergency) and literally cantering down a steep rough slope off road and the pony never faltered, not sure any other breed a horse would of coped.

Cloball

Visit site
I have probably broken in around 20+ fell ponies, or had a lot to do with them.
They are not everyones cup of tea. They are generally not small 'numb' cob types but quite often a bit more switched on, some people think they should be very quiet, which they can be, however, especially the hill bred types are very clever and have good self preservation. They often give the impression they don't need a 'stupid' human! Basically I have never met a Fell that is 'brain dead', they are thinking ponies so some people do struggle. They are a lot of fun though. I won the performance trials at linnel woods on one (amazing cross country/ hunting ponies) and had a brilliant time and although not world beaters (compared to horse specifically bred to jump) have a nice little jump and can be quite talented. They are very strong and will carry a surprising amount of weight. Also they are the most sure footed thing you will ever sit on, I remember being on a fell (hill/ mountain) and needing to get back to the road quickly (it was an emergency) and literally cantering down a steep rough slope off road and the pony never faltered, not sure any other breed a horse would of coped.
I used to ride another fell when I was younger (she's still going somewhere) we had a disagreement about direction so we went up and onto half a dry stone wall and along the top like a goat🤦 Current pony sees no issues going down steep forest paths at speeds I find quite alarming. They are second only to the Mongolian ponies I rode on holiday.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
I used to ride another fell when I was younger (she's still going somewhere) we had a disagreement about direction so we went up and onto half a dry stone wall and along the top like a goat🤦 Current pony sees no issues going down steep forest paths at speeds I find quite alarming. They are second only to the Mongolian ponies I rode on holiday.
Oh god that brings back memories

My darling girl once jumped ON TOP, all four feet, of a wrapped haylege bale in order to have a nosey over the hedge beside it. That was a 😳oh sh*t f*ck😳 moment!

Another time we encountered an enormous soil heap while out riding, a good 20 feet high. She decided she was going to climb it and I had no say in the matter.
She got most of the way up before sinking in and falling on her side. I managed to kick my stirrups out and literally surfed down on her shoulder as she slid back down.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Loved my fell. Bought her at 3. She had been born on the hill and not brought down till 2 and halter trained and friendly but otherwise a blank canvas. She was incredibly sure-footed. She was fab. Very easy to back and my then 11 year old hacked her out and took her to PC. I evented her unaff at 70.

She is one of the few ponies I have lost touch with as the young adult I sold her to could not manage her (no idea what went wrong) and sought advice from a NH trainer who declared her 'dangerous and unrideable'. She she was sold on again as a project and I have no idea what happened to her. I left my phone number and email address in her passport with an 'if this pony ever needs a home' message (as I do with all my sold on horses) and have not heard. So i hope she landed on her hooves somewhere.
Picture1.jpg2E_0044(2).jpgCally.png2E_0052.JPG2S_0126.JPG

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Today my Fell pony has learnt things that I wish he hadn't! After watching/helping me move the electric fence he has realised he can grab the post without getting a shock, luckily the ground is really hard so the posts don't come out easily at the moment so hopefully he gets bored of that game before the ground gets soft.
He's also discovered a new trick of just lying down when he's had enough of working. I think he figured it out last week when I genuinely thought there was something very wrong with him and was thinking of calling the vet, so let him stop for roll, turned out he had a fly on his boy parts that he needed to itch off and was fine after. Unfortunately he's remembered this and realised that while he was on the floor I stopped asking him to do anything, today we had a repeat performance because I wouldn't let him stop for a snack. He acted uncomfortable for a few seconds and while I was wondering if there really was something wrong he just lay down and started casually snacking on the grass around him. As funny as it was I won't be falling for it again, my pony is definitely more clever than I am. 🤦‍♀️

Fjord

Visit site
I'm loving these stories, thank you! The photos are beautiful, they really are the most stunning looking little beasts.

The Small Hairy Tank does have a few issues, nothing nasty, but she really takes confidence from her handler. She gets very anxious away from other horses, so there's work to do! I do think she is very smart so should be fun to work with. Clicker training maybe?

tb gal

Visit site
Bought my Fell pony 11 years ago to replace much loved but deranged welsh D. After a sticky first year as she had only been of fell 6 months discovered trec and was 3rd level 1 Nat champs 2 years later, moved onto dressage and qualified area regionals and BD native champs, high point Fell pony society pleasure rides 2021 plus did a bit of showing. She is a fab hack and likes discovering new things so enjoys horse agility as well. Basically I have done all the things as I kid I played at with my model horses but with a real one . She is very kind and clever and has taught me a lot. I think people sometime think Fells are stubborn but in my experience they shut down or turn off if they don’t understand or are bored. Fell pony society and regional groups are fab as supportive and not just geared up for show people.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3444.jpeg
    IMG_3444.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1969.jpeg
    IMG_1969.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 31

southerncomfort

Visit site
Today my Fell pony has learnt things that I wish he hadn't! After watching/helping me move the electric fence he has realised he can grab the post without getting a shock, luckily the ground is really hard so the posts don't come out easily at the moment so hopefully he gets bored of that game before the ground gets soft.
He's also discovered a new trick of just lying down when he's had enough of working. I think he figured it out last week when I genuinely thought there was something very wrong with him and was thinking of calling the vet, so let him stop for roll, turned out he had a fly on his boy parts that he needed to itch off and was fine after. Unfortunately he's remembered this and realised that while he was on the floor I stopped asking him to do anything, today we had a repeat performance because I wouldn't let him stop for a snack. He acted uncomfortable for a few seconds and while I was wondering if there really was something wrong he just lay down and started casually snacking on the grass around him. As funny as it was I won't be falling for it again, my pony is definitely more clever than I am. 🤦‍♀️

Sorry but that made me laugh so much. 😆 They are far too clever!

My boy has discovered 5th gear recently, and today when I asked for a nice sedate canter I got a flat out gallop complete with yee haw bucks! Luckily we were going uphill and his brakes were still in full working order!

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Sorry but that made me laugh so much. 😆 They are far too clever!

My boy has discovered 5th gear recently, and today when I asked for a nice sedate canter I got a flat out gallop complete with yee haw bucks! Luckily we were going uphill and his brakes were still in full working order!

They are so clever, I thought I was quite prepared for clever natives having had welsh ponies and a shetland for the past 20 years but I clearly wasn't prepared for a clever Fell pony! 🤣

Its made worse because I was talking to someone this week who was telling me about a horse on their yard who could take the electric fence posts out by grabbing them and I even said ohh I couldn't turn mine out with something that does that, he'd watch and learn how to do it him self. Then days later, like an idiot I unwittingly go and show him how to do it myself. Luckily for me he's a generous soul and doesn't normally use his superior brainpower against me!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well.. I couldn’t take it any more, I needed a little black horse in my life again so this evening I put a deposit down on this beautiful girl
PS can anyone edit it so it doesn’t chop off her head?

The madness is spreading...!! 😆

She looks a lovely sort.

Well done LBM, can't wait to hear all about your adventures together.

Visit site
Being a highland addict I thought I would like fell ponies sadly not for me as the paces are too choppy and a fell pony is the only one ever to intentionally try to kill me so perhaps a jaded view

The only Highland I have sat on was such a boring, lazy plod so I have probably been biased against them ever since 😂

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Being a highland addict I thought I would like fell ponies sadly not for me as the paces are too choppy and a fell pony is the only one ever to intentionally try to kill me so perhaps a jaded view

Sorry I'm nosey and have to ask what did the Fell pony do when it tried to kill you.

Cloball

Visit site
Well.. I couldn’t take it any more, I needed a little black horse in my life again so this evening I put a deposit down on this beautiful girl
Oh she's gorgeous 🥰

A highland tried to run me over on multiple occasions (the same one) and used to nap.to the corner and rear so I'm biased again Highlands 😜 in my experience Fell ponies look choppy but are actually quite comfortable and horse like.

D went through an anxious phase a couple of months after she arrived but since we've been working on teaching her more and engaging her brain she's thriving.

SO1

Visit site
That is just wonderful your happiness shone through in the photo of you riding your previous Fell.