Tell me about Fells

wren123

Visit site
Well.. I couldn’t take it any more, I needed a little black horse in my life again so this evening I put a deposit down on this beautiful girl
PS can anyone edit it so it doesn’t chop off her head?
OMG she's beautiful, well done.
I was literally just admiring her ad on Horse Quest where I was looking at fell ponies after being inspired by the thread!

suestowford

Visit site
Bronked like a rodeo horse and while knocked out on the floor came back to stomp on me luckily the person riding my highland had a schooling whip in her hand
There's a story like that in one of the Fell pony books, and it didn't end well for the pony.
Fortunately most of them are not homicidal!

tb gal

Visit site
They tend to be event tempered not least as up to 1970s if they were not they went for meat. There is a slightly worrying trend imho to zizz them up for showing now , unlike a lot of natives that became more valuable for showing than work after the 1940s , Fells had to be sensible as no alternative for farmers to use to round up sheep on the Fells until quad bikes came in 1970s onwards. You don’t want to ride on a steep slope with a big drop on something that tits around. Also the “choppy” action is economical is they just whir those wheels faster - my mare has kept up at a trot with Arab advanced endurance horses who were cantering at the time .

windand rain

Visit site
That's not a Fell pony thing though is it?

It's not normal behaviour for any equine, regardless of breed.
It was a fell a pure bred one hence my comment about a jaded view. Unfortunately experience is what makes your views on things. I agree not normal for any particular breed just happened to be a fell mind you my best friend was airlifted to hospital with head injuries after being thrown from a different fell

wren123

Visit site
It was a fell a pure bred one hence my comment about a jaded view. Unfortunately experience is what makes your views on things. I agree not normal for any particular breed just happened to be a fell mind you my best friend was airlifted to hospital with head injuries after being thrown from a different fell
Blimmin heck, no wonder you're not a fan.

gallopingby

Visit site
I think there are quirky bloodlines in all the breeds. Not sure about the ‘choppy action’ of a fell pony, it’s not in the breed standard abd there legs certainly shouldn’t be moving up and down like pistons! Movement comes from the back end, remember that’s where the engine should be. Far too many don’t go forwards properly these days. Too much emphasis on hair and ankle socks and not enough on moving correctly. Remember they were the farmers all terrain vehicle and should have enough room to sling a ewe over the front of the saddle.

tb gal

Visit site
I kind of understand semie-irrational prejudice against breeds or types based on experience as I can’t ride palominos having been spattered by one as a teenager when it tried to canter along a wall in snow and ended up on top of me, plus another bit me! Probably not typical of all palominos but I’m not taking the chance!

Visit site
The person who went to try Jasps before me fell off him and broke their collar bone. It wasn't his fault. They asked him to canter, he was unbalanced and bucked going into canter (as quite a lot of freshly broken horses do!) And happened to do it going round a corner so the person fell off awkwardly.

I never once came off of him. Got tanked with once or twice 😂 including in a stubble field where I aimed him at a big round bale of straw thinking it would stop him or at the very least slow him down a bit. Nope! The bugger jumped it 😂😂😂

I personally can't stand spotteds. They rarely have halfway decent conformation, their eyes usually have the white showing and they just offend my eyes.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
One of my Fells, who was born and raised on the fells was the clumsiest pony I've ever owned 🤣. I've never had another that ended up on the floor so often.
I sometimes wondered if he got it from his sire who I was told broke his neck on the fells as a 3yo falling down a cliff.
My most agile ride was a Scottish mountain bred Icelandic that was like a mountain goat on the hills.

Julia0803

Visit site
Lovely photos from everyone.

Interesting about the comments about strength.

What would people suggest is a sensible weight limit for them?

I’m hoping it’s many many many years away yet, but when my cob retires I’d probably be looking for another off roading tank type pony, with a sensible brain and happy to have a go at most things without me needing to take out extra life insurance!

I’d read lovely things about dales and fells but assumed I’d be way too big for a fell as I think they’re max 14h?(I’m 5.4/5.5 and 10st but would want a bit of ‘give’ up to 10.5st just so I don’t need to panic if offered an extra slice of cake! I have a friend who is on the cusp of what she feels her pony’s comfortable limit is and so is regularly on a diet or unable to ride and that seems really quite stressful)

I’ve really enjoyed this thread, everyone has beautiful ponies!

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site

I’m hoping it’s many many many years away yet, but when my cob retires I’d probably be looking for another off roading tank type pony, with a sensible brain and happy to have a go at most things without me needing to take out extra life insurance!

I’d read lovely things about dales and fells but assumed I’d be way too big for a fell as I think they’re max 14h?(I’m 5.4/5.5 and 10st but would want a bit of ‘give’ up to 10.5st just so I don’t need to panic if offered an extra slice of cake! I have a friend who is on the cusp of what she feels her pony’s comfortable limit is and so is regularly on a diet or unable to ride and that seems really quite stressful)

On my post up thread I’m 5’4 on my fell who is 13.2 built like a tank

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site

I did 35 mile endurance rides at 12 stone and he never had any problems and always passed the vet at the end.

tb gal

Visit site
I’m 11 1/2 stone , 13.3 fell copes fine . Weighed on BhS weight scales with tack I’m under 20% and closer to 15% pony’s weight and she was endurance fit not fat at the time. They were bred to carry lead panniers up to 18 stone weight . TBH though mine looked better u set saddle when I weighed less.

Cloball

Visit site
I'm 5'6 and I've no idea how much I weigh D is probably slightly narrower than a lot of fells (still and extra wide) but she has a deep chest and manages fine keeping up with the big horses with me on board, we usually beat them home.

Reactions: tda