Tell me about hoof boots please.

millikins

Visit site
Hi, thinking of trying them so would value other people's experiences, good or bad.

Two ponies in mind, both have been unshod over winter and both coped fine but they've done very little.
Pony 1, Connie, 19, mainly hacks but a bit of jumping too. Fit and well, lives out, good hooves, very forward going. My hacking is good but flinty.
Pony 2, Small driving pony, has had 2 serious bouts of lami in past 5 years. Restricted grazing by day, in with soaked hay at night. Again, good hard hooves but tiny and hinds tend to be very boxy. I need to up her workload now winter over to keep her weight steady.

Any ideas which brand might be good?
The farrier is due, if I go for boots should I measure now or when they're trimmed?
Do they stay on or will I be traipsing round the woods trying to find lost boots?
Anyone drive in them?

Thanks in advance.

meleeka

Visit site
Yes modern boots do stay on well. I’d phone or email Hoof Bootique or The Saddlery Shop. Both have experts who will help you decide on a brand based on hoof shape and also help with sizing. You don’t even have to buy from them If you find them cheaper elsewhere. Different brands suit different feet shape so there’s no ‘best brand’ that fits all.

millikins

Visit site
Thanks Meleeka. I'll try the Saddlery shop tomorrow, Hoof Bootique are one of those annoying companies that don't have a customer service phone no. So they are 2nd choice.

Kat

Visit site
Take measurements carefully and see what is going to fit best. Like our own shoes what fits one may not work for another.

I use cavallo simples. They aren't really the first choice for many people as they are a but bulky but I had very limited choice due to the shape of my horse's feet. I also needed something easy to get on.

They are a great first boot for transitioning as they are easy to use forgiving on fit and will take a pad.

I have also used Renegades on a different horse they are much less bulky and more lightweight but they won't take pads and are expensive if your horse's feet are changing.

The Saddlery shop should be able to help you.

Oh and for easy accurate measurements stand your horse on a bit of card and draw around their foot then measure the outline

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Fit is key, all the shops are very helpful, take photos with a tape measure of width and length so they can advise if inbetween measurements.

So including those mentioned: cannock chase, urban horse and equine podiatry supplies.

Secondly you want to look at the work you are doing and the terrain. I prefer a low profile sports boot for faster work so that break over is not compromised (this was particularly important for mine though) personally I use easyboot gloves and have done for years, occasionally lost one at speed in mud (I think he over reaches them) and they are a pain to get to stay on a wet muddy hoof as they rely a bit on the hoof grip but generally very happy with them. I would use scoots and renegades and the new swiss galoppers look interesting, I would also consider fusions but never seen them in the flesh.

A consideration you may have, especially for your lami pony is whether you want anything you can put a gel pad in or not, most are absolutely fine without though. I actually have a pair of cavallo simples for when I needed to poultice and pad as they are cheap enough seccond hand to keep a pair for the purpose.

I don't know of anyone on here that drives in them but know people do without issue.

Kat

Visit site
Oh and you asked about driving in them, my friend uses hoof boots on all four feet for driving with no issues. She has Renegades but has also used Boa boots.

supsup

Visit site
To answer part of the original question: Yes, you should measure and take pictures after a recent trim. But it might also be helpful to take a set of measurements before and after the trim, so you know how much variation there is throughout a trimming cycle. Some boots are better at accommodating a slight change in hoof size than others. If yours grow hoof very quickly, it might be worth mentioning that to whoever you talk to about boot fit.
Most of the online sites selling them will have instructions on how to measure and take good pictures.
For Pony 2, your options will probably be more limited because not all models go down to smaller sizes. And with a history of lami, having a boot that would take a pad (if necessary) might not be a bad idea. I think Equine Fusions and Easyboot Epics go down below 100mm width/length (smallest size Scoots just barely below at 90mm) and would take pads. I also know of someone who drives in Epics. Easyboot Minis and Cavallos Cute Little Boot area aimed at super small mini hooves, but that might be too small.

millikins

Visit site
Many thanks, this is all really helpful and encouraging and I am certainly going to give it a try. Supsup, very sensible suggestion to measure before and after, hadn't occurred to me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Many thanks, this is all really helpful and encouraging and I am certainly going to give it a try. Supsup, very sensible suggestion to measure before and after, hadn't occurred to me.

I think it is the reason some owners start to pick up a rasp to maintain good boot fit, especially with the closer fitting ones if you have a wonky hoof wearer (I do!)

Cecile

Visit site
If you live anywhere near Newbury and think Easyboot mini or Equine Fusion All Terrain will be a good fit you are welcome to come have a close look, prod about and bounce them :)

Don't worry I'm used to it, so far I have had 2 farriers and 2 apprentices giving them a good going over, they were more impressed with the Equine Fusion but both have done the job well

I had to also tell the retailer if they grew a flair or grew upright, I sent in masses of photo's before purchase, length, width and angles, everyone was incredibly helpful before and after purchase as I wasn't sure what I was doing (Novice boot buyer.com)

spugs

Visit site
I use easy boot gloves on mine, we’ve never lost one or had one rub. I measured but she fitted a size smaller better, I’ve found urban horse to be very helpful.

millikins

Visit site
If you live anywhere near Newbury and think Easyboot mini or Equine Fusion All Terrain will be a good fit you are welcome to come have a close look, prod about and bounce them :)

Don't worry I'm used to it, so far I have had 2 farriers and 2 apprentices giving them a good going over, they were more impressed with the Equine Fusion but both have done the job well

I had to also tell the retailer if they grew a flair or grew upright, I sent in masses of photo's before purchase, length, width and angles, everyone was incredibly helpful before and after purchase as I wasn't sure what I was doing (Novice boot buyer.com)

Thank you Cecile, that's very kind but unfortunately I'm too far away for it to be practical. I like the look of the Equine Fusion AT but they are expensive, if I can find a cheaper brand that fits to start out with, see how we get on. I've drawn round their hooves today, try and get trim early next week then photos, measure and make some calls :)

Cecile

Visit site
Thank you Cecile, that's very kind but unfortunately I'm too far away for it to be practical. I like the look of the Equine Fusion AT but they are expensive, if I can find a cheaper brand that fits to start out with, see how we get on. I've drawn round their hooves today, try and get trim early next week then photos, measure and make some calls :)

The others I bought was Easyboot Mini size 3 as the fitting/size was correct, I now wish I had seen this ad first but I had no idea that people sold boots, you live and learn :)

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/117633795/hoof-boots-easyboot-mini-size-3.html