Tell me about Irish draughts

blitznbobs

Visit site
So my new boy is a ISH and he’s more draughty looking than thoroughbredy iyswim. And for many years I’ve been toying with the idea of breeding again. I bred welshies a long time in the past but I am thinking about doing some research into possibly, maybe breeding some pure IDs. I love the fact that the breed is a) beautiful and b) so utilitarian. I know breeding is a mug’s game. I know I will have heart break and make no money but if I were Looking to research blood lines where would I start to look?

Bernster

Visit site
Not a clue but janetgeorge on here breeds em so might be able to point you in the right direction. I ideally wanted an Irish horse when I last went searching and very glad I did. Got a pure ID with decent breeding, by huntingfield Rebel, an ‘outcross’ pairing (think that’s the term), trying to introduce something different into the lines. He’s a fab all rounder for an amateur but doesn’t have perfect conformation through his front legs, not that it’s created an issue for us so far.

ponies4ever

Visit site
I don't know a lot about ID breeding but I have an (approx) IDxSF. dam sire is flagmount diamond. Positives she's pretty versatile and is intelligent, BOLD, not sharp or quirky to ride, moves well and can really jump. Downsides she has mild KS (but I think that's environmental rather than conformation) and is a very strong character IE she knows exactly how big she is and therefore she will do as she pleases!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I love ID's they are by far the best amatuer all round horse you can buy. I bred a filly by Amorous Archie out of an unregistered mare so can't grade her. She has done well as a small. I also had a HW pure ID by Embla George x Colman mare. He was a stunning show horse, 18h and floated like a dressage horse

24ph2wy.jpg

Abi90

Visit site
I have a full ID, Dam’s Breeding is unknown but her Sire is a Huntingfield Rebel son and a Ginger Dick grandson and she is fabulous. She’s 6 this year so some filling out to do but she impresses every instructor we have with the way she moves and jumps.

I949053EB-5F57-4F00-A446-DFFA0B255E3C.jpeg9F743879-2A44-439A-A2C1-A115EF82D78F.jpeg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
AA - wow!

Thanks, she is a sweet girl, just too small. This one on the other hand, was massive and pure ID. Colic took him at just 13 and a few days after he had qualified for RIHS and done his first Medium BD. Broke my heart, I had him at 6 months and broke/produced him myself. He was a true gentle giant.

24ph2wy.jpg

No idea why the mare appeared again

Last edited:

Kaylum

Visit site
Used to breed them many years ago. Easy to do had a few brood mares from the Beeston and Parnel line and stallion was kod related straight over from Ireland from their stud. I even traced the groom who foaled him.

Very easy to do and the mares foaled outside. Easy to back although we never backed them until they were well into 3 years. They would make 5 to 7k and that was over 20 years ago.

buddylove

Visit site
My ID mare is 6 this time and is a definite slow grower (i though they had sent me a Connie pony when she stepped off the lorry)!! Probably max out around 16.1hh bred in Ireland, and a very pretty face. She has some nice horses in her pedigree including Cappa Cochise and Golden Warrior.
FB_IMG_1556828877421.jpg

Mule

Visit site
My ID mare is 6 this time and is a definite slow grower (i though they had sent me a Connie pony when she stepped off the lorry)!! Probably max out around 16.1hh bred in Ireland, and a very pretty face. She has some nice horses in her pedigree including Cappa Cochise and Golden Warrior.
View attachment 32095
She's very pretty. She has Irish draught ears.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Used to breed them many years ago. Easy to do had a few brood mares from the Beeston and Parnel line and stallion was kod related straight over from Ireland from their stud. I even traced the groom who foaled him.

Very easy to do and the mares foaled outside. Easy to back although we never backed them until they were well into 3 years. They would make 5 to 7k and that was over 20 years ago.

I paid £1500 for weanling in 1994, (Embla George x Colman mare) was offered 10k in 2003 at the breed show from an american couple who wanted to ship him to USA. I loved that horse and would never have sold him.

Old Speckled Hen

Visit site
give in photo's are not working.

AA - can you please post a pic of your filly! I remember when you were looking to breed her (a few years back, I've been away for a long time on Mumsnet :oops::oops:) I'd love to see her now!!! Sorry to read the lovely big bay is no longer around XX

ID are THE best! I have a wonderful 3/4 IDxTB (by Clover Echo out of an IDxTB mare)
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/tell-me-about-irish-draughts.775539/#KM0PzQ4ikW5kg1L1.99

Orchard14

Visit site
Ireland breed the best horses. Fact. Period. The end. The only thing in the world better than an ID is an ISH. Of course there is no bias whatsoever in my opinion regardless of the fact that I have a yard full of traditional Irish Sport Horses and they are all magnificent ;). I have one European Warmblood and while sweet she is a pain in the a** and I will be sticking with the Irish horses from now on.

be positive

Visit site
AA - can you please post a pic of your filly! I remember when you were looking to breed her (a few years back, I've been away for a long time on Mumsnet :oops::oops:) I'd love to see her now!!! Sorry to read the lovely big bay is no longer around XX

ID are THE best! I have a wonderful 3/4 IDxTB (by Clover Echo out of an IDxTB mare)
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/tell-me-about-irish-draughts.775539/#KM0PzQ4ikW5kg1L1.99

Just in case AA misses this, the photo is of the filly she bred all grown up and looking fab.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Ireland breed the best horses. Fact. Period. The end. The only thing in the world better than an ID is an ISH. Of course there is no bias whatsoever in my opinion regardless of the fact that I have a yard full of traditional Irish Sport Horses and they are all magnificent ;). I have one European Warmblood and while sweet she is a pain in the a** and I will be sticking with the Irish horses from now on.
Erm, that rather depends on what you want to do with the horses you own though, doesn't it? I live in Ireland, don't do Irish-y things with my horses and wouldn't have any use at all for an Irish Draught. If I wanted to hunt and do gallopy jumpy things for fun and entertainment, then yes a good Irish horse would be wonderful for that. Personally I find them a bit.....thick.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

plenty of other breeds of horses other than IDs or WBs-they arent for me (and one of my bf's loves them so we spend many hours arguing about it)-like Cortez I also find them a bit thick -I prefer a pony/arab/Iberian brain.

Follysmum

Visit site
I had a beautiful gelding yearling from mrs symonds at the snowford stud in the 80,s by skippy. He was such a gentle giant, I so regret selling him.

Asha

Visit site
My favourite breed. Started with my ole girl Asha, shes 3/4 ID with Hangon Johhny as the sire ( Powerswood purple x mary jane ) x Diamond jake. Shes a tiddler at 15.2, but boy have we had some fun. No nonsense, just blessed to have had her in my life. Then my daughters Finn is such a dude, came over from Ireland, hes by Carrickrock closeshave. Then my girl Pip.who is by Archie out of a mare by Ladys Trajlee x Grey macha. All 3 are easy to do in every way, all have/had a good pop in them . Pip has the most bone and is the biggest. She stands at a smidge over 16.1, Finn 16.0.
None of them has a bad bone in them, always happy and want to please. If your looking for broodmares speak to janet George, shes cutting down. One day I will breed from Pip, just having too much fun at the minute.

Asha

Visit site
Pip is the dark grey, Asha the chestnut and Finn the light grey 😍

Attachments

• 0A3BB13A-86B8-40C8-AB1B-8DE7A1283C14.jpeg
    0A3BB13A-86B8-40C8-AB1B-8DE7A1283C14.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 30
  • ED63896A-30DD-4753-9D66-5FDFA7623927.jpeg
    ED63896A-30DD-4753-9D66-5FDFA7623927.jpeg
    791.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 127D112A-67C9-42FB-B2C2-2988EC759FFD.jpeg
    127D112A-67C9-42FB-B2C2-2988EC759FFD.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 25

Orchard14

Visit site
Erm, that rather depends on what you want to do with the horses you own though, doesn't it? I live in Ireland, don't do Irish-y things with my horses and wouldn't have any use at all for an Irish Draught. If I wanted to hunt and do gallopy jumpy things for fun and entertainment, then yes a good Irish horse would be wonderful for that. Personally I find them a bit.....thick.
plenty of other breeds of horses other than IDs or WBs-they arent for me (and one of my bf's loves them so we spend many hours arguing about it)-like Cortez I also find them a bit thick -I prefer a pony/arab/Iberian brain.

I think you missed the joke 😉
Point was that I actually am very biased. My ISH’s will take me around a 2* course, do an Advanced dressage test, gallop and hack all day long and yet are still quiet enough that I’m comfortable letting my neice handle and ride them. FOR ME you can’t get better than that.

Last edited:

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I have bred about 130 IDs now (and a few x-breds too). Obviously, individual bloodlines carry influence but I haven't had ONE that hasn't worked out pretty well, although I confess I've had a few screwed up by 1st new owners - hell, one I took home twice. My home-bred babies out in the world now are doing Sport Endurance, dressage, eventing, happy hacking and hunting. They come in many shapes and sizes - my smallest 15.2 - biggest 18.3!! Some are quite fast. Some tend to prefer slow. But never a 'nasty' one.

Dawn with Lightly.jpg

FNC

Visit site
I have a pure bred ID mare who I’ve had for almost 20 years. Bought at 6 and she has done everything asked of her and more. Couldn’t have asked for anything better. Perfect riding club horse. Could be picked up and put down as required, did a decent elementary test, and jumped a good 3ft 3 course. Broken to harness too. She was never the fastest but jumped everything she was faced with. She’s elderly now retired and arthritic but I’d have another in a heartbeat