Tell me about keeping ferrets...

ponyparty

Visit site
Anyone on here have them? I've been thinking of getting one (or two, if they do better in pairs) but I don't really know much about them. How large a run do they need? Do they prefer to be indoors or outside? We have a Manchester Terrier, is this a ridiculous idea altogether? Once he accepts something as "family" - e.g. cats - he leaves well alone, so might be ok? Do they smell - or rather, I'm sure they will have some smell but how does one keep that to a minimum - are females less smelly, or are neutered males your best bet?

I've read up on the basics on a few websites, but I want to know a whole lot more about them before I even think about actually getting any - including real life experiences from people who have them.

Or are they just going to be another source of stress when I'm trying to reduce stress in my life at the moment?! I just.... really want more pets! And think they could be fun, for our little one as well, provided they're well handled and friendly.

TPO

Visit site
I grew up with them as "working animals". Dad's were kept outside in big hutches he mostly had males but there was the odd female and I remember him breeding a litter at one point.

They stink! Dad kept his hutches really clean and they were fully cleaned out all the time. Dad's were working ferrets (used in falconry) so they ate what the birds were eating; chicks and rabbit mainly. I don't know if that contributed to the smell and if pet ones are fed more sanitised things?

They didn't really get baths but I have memories of a watering can, horse shampoo and not very happy ferrets!

During flying season they'd be out "working" most weekends so I don't know if that added to their scent.

They'd be the odd one that would bite but they were only really picked up when coming out of a rabbit hole and when in hunt mode so understandable. I've never been bitten by one but I've seen it happen to someone else and they do not let go! A couple of dads were really friendly and you could handle them the same as a guinea pig type pet; not that we really wanted to because of their smell. The young ones (kittens?) were really cute and easy to accustom to handling so I'd assume pet ones are just the same.

They were really clever but I think that they go out to "work" kept them stimulated and fit. Dad would take them rabbiting sometimes outwith flying season too; a locator collar and a good shovel was a must!

It is really alien to me to see them as pets and people keeping them as pets because I'm so used to them being "outside animals".

If you are looking for an easy to handle, clever pet for a child I'd recommend rats instead.

ponyparty

Visit site
I absolutely cannot do rats. Sorry to any rat fans but they make my skin crawl. I was looking at some in the pet shop earlier and thought they were quite cute... til one moved and I saw its tail. Irrational? Absolutely; just one of my “things” though. I know they’re really clever, and I’ve got friends who’ve had rats, but they’re just not for me.

Your talk of the pong is putting me off ferrets though ? I’ve read conflicting things about it from different sources so it’s good to hear real life experience!

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
My first husband and I kept ferrets and fitchets (ferret x polecat) working animals (rabbiting), and yes they have scent glands and they smell. A lot. I love them. The world is not big enough for a ferret, they want to explore everything and everywhere. We had outside pens and a huge netted run with pipes and stuff. I handled hundreds in my time and was never bitten, but as TPO says when they do they lock on and you have to choke them off. I knew one bloke who lost a hob down a rabbit hole, stuck his head in the hole and came out with the ferret dangling from his nose ?.
I believe the scent gland can be surgically removed to turn them into acceptable household pets but I’ve only ever known them as outdoor, working animals and am a bit biased towards thinking that’s the life they should have although I’m more than happy to be converted.

Last edited:

ponyparty

Visit site
Hmmmmm perhaps they're not the pet for us then! Shame, I really rather like them. I couldn't give them a working home, I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do. I'd love to SEE them being worked. Feels like maybe a run and coming out to be handled daily wouldn't be enough? I (vaguely) know someone who takes hers for walks on a lead...
Also I'm not sure about the ethics of removing a scent glad purely for my own convenience/nose. I hadn't heard you could do that; just that neutered ones smell less.

Rumtytum

Visit site
You could be correct about neutering, rather than scent gland removal, I’m not at all up on ferrets as pets. Perhaps have a look at some ferret societies? I don’t want to put you off! Ferrets might be far happier in a domestic environment than I imagine, I never knew them for anything else but working (which they loved!).

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
An uncle of mine used to keep a couple of ferrets, in two hutches in his garage. He used to shoot crows to feed to them. He used to have two hutches so that the ferrets would like in one, and he'd clean out the other, then move them to the cleaned hutch.

Well one day, moving the ferrets from one hutch to the other, one of the ferrets decided to not move in but to jump onto the bonnet of the car, its little claws skating and skidding on the bonnet leaving lots of scratches... it panicked and when my uncle went to try to help it out it jumped onto him like he was Richard Whitely... a ferret does not make good body furniture and my uncle reluctantly got rid of them.

I love them, though, polecats too... I've never owned one but I've handled dozens and never been bitten. And though I'm a Yorkshireman, I've never put one down my trouser leg.

ponyparty

Visit site
Taken from the British Ferret Club:
So, if you want to keep ferrets as pets and not for breeding the best way is to have, both the males and the females neutered, the smell that ferret gives off after neutering is minimal and has an almost pleasant, light musky scent. Much, much, less offensive than a wet dog smell.
I guess smells are subjective though! And I have a very non-smelly dog haha. I think maybe I need to meet some pet, neutered ferrets in real life... how does one go about doing that? Would have to be careful about advert wording, "Can I come and smell your ferret?" :eek:

I'm being silly of course - I think I'll get in touch with a local ferret welfare place and see if they can give me more info, or even better, put me in touch with someone who wouldn't mind showing me their ferrets. Not sure how feasible that'll be with Covid etc but we'll see.

The more I read about them, they're actually quite fascinating little things...

ponyparty

Visit site
Yerrrrrr guinea pigs not really my scene either... don’t know what it is, any rodents really, not a fan. But ferrets aren’t rodents, they’re mustelids ?

Maybe I don’t really like them?! Just like the idea of them? Think I definitely need to go and meet some and handle then (and sniff them) ?
And also check whether we’re “allowed” them on our estate, apparently there’s a clause about not having poultry/livestock in the garden - will need to check exactly what that includes.

Rumtytum

Visit site
Ferrets are highly intelligent, always happy, always curious, natural optimists, yes ponyparty you are going to have get up close and personal with a neutered one and see what you think! I many wonderful memories, including the jill with an abscess in her cheek which burst and needed to be washed out regularly with a hydrogen peroxide solution. She never struggled or objected, but seemed to know I was helping her ?

twiggy2

Visit site
I love them, they are like a lifelong kitten, yes they smell,they love lots of interaction, I would keep in neutered male groups of at least three, they love company and love to play.
There are usually lots in rescue, you need to meet and handle them.

forever broke

Visit site
I have two rescue ferrets (was four but down to two now). Three hobs and a jill, all neutered. They do have a smell but it's much less when they're neutered and they generally only skunk when scared or fighting. Mine have never drawn blood, even as kits, they can nip when playing but it's just like teaching a puppy or kitten not to bite. They're wonderful, affectionate, funny and curious pets. Mine live in a shed with outdoor hutch attached and they do need a lot of space or some good free running time each day, they're very playful when they're awake. Try contacting a local rescue to see if you can meet some of their ferrets and see how you get on, that's how I started.

twiggy2

Visit site
Housing is all important as forever broke touches on. They need lots of space both indoors and out.
They suffer with the heat so need shade and ours used to love to play in water.
In the winter they used to have a box full of fleeces as well as their usual hammock.
They all piled up one on top of the other if it was cold.
They had shelves and would lie flat out all over the shelves to keep cool in the summer.
They do much better and smell less on a raw diet and ours would be fed whole rabbits when they were avaliable and a raw complete dog mince when not, just be careful as if you put too much food in they will hide it.
We had ferrets as pets for well over ten years and most of them were rescues. Other half wants more now but I am saying no as we are so busy in a new job and they need time and handling.

millikins

Visit site
We had one, he was called Otis (Otis Ferret) and he was an absolute delight. He came from a pet shop so very people orientated, got on really well with the dog (standard poodle) although he did get a bit wary as the dog thought it amusing to pin him down under a paw. He had every intention of killing the cat who was terrified of him but she was a very wimpy cat. He lived in a large parrot cage but was free in the house if we were in. He also liked to travel in the car and would curl up on your lap. He stank until he was neutered, then as others say, just a slight musky smell. Sadly he was PTS at 6, vet diagnosed lymphoma which is apparently quite common. I wouldn't be averse to another but they need as much company as a dog if kept as a single pet.

Zero00000

Visit site
Absolutely stink, you need a strong stomach for their diet, but an absolute delight to own and watch.

I loved my little ferret, he was so playful, bathed him regularly, he always pooped in the bath ? I wouldn't get another though.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The caretaker at a school I taught at had pet ferrets, which he brought into school to show the children. He insisted that if they were kept properly they would not smell - he never mentioned neutering though!

Redders

Visit site
They are excellent critters, but they stink and nothing can prevent that. It’s illegal to remove scent glands in the U.K. as it’s classed as mutilation.
it’s inadvisable to neuter them due to the high risk of adrenal disease, so should have hormonal implants instead. Jills will go into persistent oestrous if not implanted or mated, which will mean a horrid and protracted death, or lots of babies.
They can be mated with a vasectomise hob which is a very common procedure to have done, but most pet owners choose the implant.
some may still neuter but most vets now advise against this due to the high risk of adrenal issues.
they require a heck of a lot of stimulation and space, they need whole prey food or specific ferret pellets (supreme are very good). Lymphoma is a very very common disease in these guys and often shortness life span, and can come on pretty young sadly. Also prone to dental disease (like cats).
They need distemper vaccinations
An aviary type enclosure with several levels, hides, tunnels etc included an indoor area would be the ideal set up for these creatures.

having said all that, they are great, and make great pets if you are aware of all their needs and weirdness! Love a ferret!