Tell me about mesh coolers

scruffyponies

Visit site
In need of a cooler rug for sweaty pony I picked up a nylon mesh rug the other day. Problem is I don't trust it to allow pony to dry. It just feels so... plastic.
Do they work, or should I bin it and get a cotton waffle one?

ihatework

Visit site
I generally think of them as summer ones.

For drying off a wet horse in winter I’d want something with more substance. Thermatex ideally, but a good fleece works too if you want something cheaper/lighter

eggs

Visit site
Not sure if I am looking at the right link as it says it is a fly rug. In the 'good old days' when all we had was the string vest type rug we would thatch the horses to dry off. This was putting a layer of straw over the horses back and then putting the rug on top.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I still thatch if I have to put a horse back in the field that is still a bit sweaty but needs a turnout. I figure the straw allows them to dry out without soaking the rug from the inside, and since it gradually falls out of the sides, I don't need to come back at midnight to change rug :D.

Have changed the mesh type rug for a cotton waffle one. For all the 'ultraphil' hi tech moisture management business in the blurb, I just wasn't happy with it.

ponynutz

Visit site
They're very good for summer, not so much in winter, but instead of buying a new one I just put straw under mine, or if there is none a summer sheet i dont mind getting a bit damp over the top.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
My mare is quite a hot horse and even in winter finds a thermatex a bit warm especially after work. I have just got a shires rug that has a thermatex type top and mesh sides which is working well for her.