Tell me about owning mares :)

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Going to view a potential new horse next week that sounds ideal. Is a mare and have only had geldings.

What things would you expect to be different with mares? I know they are all different characters but any info appreciated

Elsiecat

Visit site
Just like having a gelding but more hormonal :D

I love my mares. For some reason I didn't look at geldings. Not sure why. I've seen/heard/read somewhere at some point a phrase like "once you have a mares heart you have their heart for life."

mandwhy

Visit site
I think mares are more loyal and you get more of a bond but you really have to respect them or you'll have fallouts. I often feel like a gelding is like a teenager as in 'we are doing this because I said so' whereas a mare you have to kind of convince them why they should do something. I have always felt greater attachment and connection with mares (you know that nice telepathic link feeling when you're riding and they just know), only when they feel like it though!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I had only ever had mares and always said I would never buy a gelding. They can be tempremental and they may be hormonaly moody, one of mine was awful to the point of being downright aggressive at certain times, not to people but other horses. She even attacked her field companion during one of her moody periods and bit her lip till it was hanging off and vet had to come and stitch it back on. Saying that they are very loyal but haven't had one that is very affectionate. Now have a gelding and he is so affectionate and he is always the same not moody at all. As you say though they all have their own personalities and they cannot all be judged the same. Don't think I would buy a mare again to ride.

Odd Socks

Visit site
I now have a mare after only having geldings, and a chestnut ex-racer at that, and she is an absolute dream - the best horse ever! Very affectionate, not touchy at all, and we have a great relationship - the strongest bond I have ever had. The only main difference I've noticed between her and previous geldings is that she's not overly fond of geldings getting in to her personal space whilst riding unless its on her terms. That's pretty much it - I don't particularly notice a behavior change during her seasons and no mood swings. As I said, she's fine with brushing on her sides, girth, and even touching her lady bits :O

I know the same can't be said for all, but its definitely worth a look.

HBM1

Visit site
I love my mares, they are intelligent, funny and have a real sense of humour. They know the very best ways to get food out of people and are incredibly affectionate. I have one gelding, who is equally affectionate, as is my colt. I really haven't had any moodyness from any of them, the only thing I have noticed over the years is that they can react to my own monthly moments, not in a bad way..but they definitely know. Oh and they know they are beautiful and woe betide me if I feed the males first!

Izzwizz

Visit site
I have owned 3 mares and all of them fabulous. All very different but the bond with the them as others have said is special. I have a gelding at the moment and he too is lovely and we do have a bond. There is something a little bit more special with the girls, cant pinpoint exactly what, but there is!

Blitzen

Visit site
They're brilliant :D
I adore my mare, even though I was convinced I didn't want one, we just have a fantastic connection. Its entirely down to the individual horse, I've known loads of lovely sweet mares, but I've known my fair share of b1tch-bags too! Again, this is down to personality more than gender, but my mare is much more independently minded than my gelding. She will happily go off on her own to graze, she doesn't always come to call straight away, and she thoroughly believes that she knows best over how fast is too fast out hunting :p She really tries her hardest and totally gives her all, especially with jumping. My gelding is a total poppet, very soppy and cuddly and loves to be so close to you he's almost sat on your lap. He's very eager and willing, and totally chilled. (My mums gelding on the other hand, is a grumpy old turd. I've never met such a mare-ish gelding :rolleyes: !)
L x

d_morrow

Visit site
To quote Carl Hester "You tell a gelding, ask a mare and discuss it with a stallion"
Mares, being 'entire' animals, are considered to have a bit more 'Oomph' than geldings. That is why most polo ponies are mares - they're fiesty and brave and not afraid to get into the thick of things. A few months ago, I was riding my arab mare through a field of young bullocks when they started to follow us. My little mare started to spin round and I thought she was going to 'leg it' but no - she was actually squaring up to them - and they were the ones who legged it! In a similar situation my friends' geldings were actually trying to hide behind one another...bless!

weebarney

Visit site
Best horse i had was a chestnut mare. Out of 6 horses i have/ had, 4 are mares 1 of which is difficult, i have 2 geldings one of them is difficult. So on average I have found mares much better behaved.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Thanks for those replies really helpful. This mare is a chestnut ex-racer but apparantly very nice so figured worth a look despite all the stereotypes x

Elsiecat

Visit site
Thanks for those replies really helpful. This mare is a chestnut ex-racer but apparantly very nice so figured worth a look despite all the stereotypes x

Not an ex-racer, but I have a chestnut thoroughbred mare.
The stereotypes are just an old wives tale. There is no way colour can impact on behaviour IMO. Go for it :D

Blitzen

Visit site
OH had a lovely old chestnut tb mare. She was an absolute saint, OH loved her to bits as he grew up with her. Sadly had her pts 3 years ago :( she lived to a grand old age though, and the pics of my OH with her when they were little/young are priceless

Holly Hocks

Visit site
After always having geldings I now have two mares.....hormonal, unpredictable, difficult and opinionated......wouldnt have anything else now, despite the ex-racer mare catapulting my confidence somewhere into the next field earlier tonight! I do think mares are more affectionate - both of mine are very cuddly (when they're calm)

miss_wilson

Visit site
I had always had gelding prior to my girl! never went out to buy a mare it just happened, guess we just found each other!
She is opinionated, stroppy at times, i need to ask her (she will kick off if told) but she is amazingly loyal, tries 110% at everything and i think she is fab!!
The only problem is that she tries to dismount any other rider!!! oooops

Javabb94

Visit site
I have generally always had geldings but I have had my new mare 7 weeks now and she is fab! She has been in season and I couldn't tell the difference, she is so relaxed and easy and I feel I already have a strong bond with her nearly as much as I do with my gelding who I have had 2 years. She really tries for me when ridden, if it's the right horse then to me it doesn't matter!

Tiffany

Visit site
I've only had mares :) I didn't go out specifically looking for mares that's just the way it worked out.

I think some mares can act a little differently when in season although I've never had a problem. :D

hoggedmane

Visit site
Of the 6 horses/ ponies I have had 4 have been mares and I would buy a mare by choice. None of them have been marish in that they are not different when in season. My current mare is fantastic - she tries so hard to please and we have a great bond. She reminds me of my second pony that was a chestnut mare and the most fun equine I have ever met. She tackled everything with enthusiasm (too much at times) and won the riding club cup for the horse through the year with the most points at the age of 23.
I did have a lovely gelding but he was a bit thick and had no sense of self preservation unlike mares who look after themselves (and me). The worst pony was a gelding - he was an ignorant yob!

emma.is

Visit site
I was apprehensive about buying my first horse, a big wide chestnut mare :') after only loaning little bay geldings I was worried I'd end up with a hormonal mare/snorting dragon but she's turned out to be really good and all I could ask for :)

You do need to 'convince' them a little more and the way I told my old loan pony 'no' just doesn't work with her. There's been one or two occasions where we've been in a bit of a stand off, but I tend to walk away and come back to it minutes, hours or days later and work through it calmly and we tend to get it eventually :)

A few weeks ago we were having problems with 20m circles at C, she would buck like bronco at the exact same point every single time so I worked her in other parts of the school and at the end just did the circle before she had chance to think about bucking and now we're working in the wind and the rain like she's been doing it for years (only a green 6yr old) and I'm chuffed.

Season wise she's been great too, I got her two months ago and she was very wet throughout her second and third week here but there was no change in her behaviour

Definitely a chestnut mare convert!

Last edited:

starryeyed

Visit site
I think mares are more loyal and you get more of a bond but you really have to respect them or you'll have fallouts. I often feel like a gelding is like a teenager as in 'we are doing this because I said so' whereas a mare you have to kind of convince them why they should do something.

Perfect description!
I'd always had geldings until recently, when I loaned an insane mare for a while and then bought another (even madder) mare after swearing I wouldn't! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say you have to treat them in a completely different way than you would a gelding, don't feel as if you have to tiptoe around them - but they do "size you up" a little more in my experience, and you do need to treat them with respect or they will walk all over you / not do a thing you ask of them. You cannot tell them to do anything or you will have the biggest disagreements! - it's hard to explain but once you've figured it out it comes easily... you just need to try and persuade them to do what you want to, without asking too directly!
I've found mares to be a lot more "with it" which is great if they're on side, but they're a lot faster at working things out and learning how to get away with things if you give them the opportunity. They're much more opinionated.

My two mares have been much higher maintenance than any of the boys, but it does keep life entertaining - i love my mare to bits, she's just so fun to have around. I also like that mares let you know what they're thinking - if they're unhappy about something you will know what it is immediately! I feel that geldings can sometimes keep things quieter and it can be more tricky to work out what isn't right.
Mares are also much braver imo, they like to take on a challenge and get this look of determination that I've never seen on a gelding :D

I've always felt more bonded to mares - they like you for being you, while geldings seem to fall in love with anyone holding a bucket of food ;) I think that it takes a lot longer to bond with a mare, but once you have that connection then they will try their hearts out for you.

Taisypops

Visit site
I own a very maresish mare and shes the best horse Ive ever owned, took me a long time to get her on my side but now she tries her heart out for me and will trust me to pass anything out hacking :) She is also most def "my" horse while I find most geldings seem to be "anyones" Although I wouldnt not consider geldings if I wanted a new horse but my heart always seem to be stolen by a mare..........x

blacksabbeth

Visit site
Ive owned my mare since she was 18 months old and is now 6 years old.I would not swap or sell her for the world.I have found shes always a dream to be around and ride and manners to die for,shes easier than my gelding who can at times be a sod.We have had our ups and downs but certainly more ups,i was told years ago if you can get a mare on your side you have a friend for life and im a firm believer of it as ive always dealt and mainly had mares.Like most horses always go in with your eyes wide open...she may be suitable for you and what your after and not some one elses cup of tea or vice versa.Not everyone likes my mare,but ive also had a lot of comments as to how well behaved she is,but my answer is " why shouldnt she be just because shes a mare doesnt make her any different to a gelding or stallion?".Anyway time for bed as im waffleing. :)

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
I have had great bonds with both. My first horse was a mare & she was so loyal & would whinny at me all the time..even from hearing me walking across the yard. She taught me to ride & she could be difficult at times but never malious. She was very loving & I miss her still even though she died 10 years ago. I have a gelding now but he appears to have been cut late! He is also very loyal loving & chatty!! He was only meant to be a project to bring on & sell....8 years later he's still here! So what Im trying to say through my waffle is that I think gender is irrelevant as its their personality & whether you

PingPongPony

Visit site
They're much more opinionated.
I also like that mares let you know what they're thinking - if they're unhappy about something you will know what it is immediately! I feel that geldings can sometimes keep things quieter and it can be more tricky to work out what isn't right.
Mares are also much braver imo, they like to take on a challenge and get this look of determination that I've never seen on a gelding :D

I've always felt more bonded to mares - they like you for being you, while geldings seem to fall in love with anyone holding a bucket of food ;) I think that it takes a lot longer to bond with a mare, but once you have that connection then they will try their hearts out for you.

Completely agree! I've also found that i can always tell when something is wrong, she always tells me. When she stoped liking her saddle because it needed re fitting, she was very clear about what was wrong! Also recently, she was fed up of being in the school and she also let me know (by being a bit of a git, and generally saying 'no' to anything that was asked of her), so i took her out for a good gallop and a nice hack then she had a day off and after that she was an angel in the school :)
One thing i have found with mares, although it may just be my mare, is that they're a lot more sensitive than geldings. If you're in a bad mood, the mare will feel it and either be wary or behave perfectly, also if i shout at her (very rare as she is so well behaved!) she gets easily upset and will be clearly in a mardy with me for the rest of the day. She won't do anything mean, but she won't be nice either, and she usually just turns around and walks off in the field if she's been shouted at that day.
Saying all this, i wouldn't want a gelding! I find that if i get us both in a pickle on a line to a fence she will just 'roll her eyes' at me and deal with it herself and try to get us out of it. She tries her little heart out for me and helps me out when i need it. My mare is a very private horse, only really cuddly when i'm on my own with her, not the public displays of affection type :) I know that she's miserable when she comes for a cuddle with everyone around as well.
Go look at the horse, see if you like her and if you get on with her, forget the fact that she's a mare etc, just try her out and see what you think, if its the right one, you'll know it :) Good luck!

Rose Folly

Visit site
Just been counting - a sobering thought - I've had 4 mares and 5 geldings over a very long riding life; and I realise that I've hardly noticed the difference in gender.

I really wouldn't want to generalise. None of the mares has been hormonal; they have been steady natured and loving, just like the geldings. Some people say a mare will give you that tiny bit more when the chips are down - but then one of my geldings did that anyway. My current mare, a cob, is the wise matriarch of our little mixed herd. She rules with dignity, firmness and good temper, and treats the mares and geldings just the same.

My only tought is that women and geldings do seem to get on together well, ditto men with mares. It's a bit like mothers and sons, fathers and daughters.

I'd say go for it. Look at the horse, not the sex, and hope you get something terrific....