tell me about STOVIES :)

alfiesmum

Visit site
hey people, i have one very very very dirty wet foal! seriously he is a seriously wet boy! currently lives out with access 24/7 to his stable. his bed needs changed every 2nd day! the other boys are fine and need done once every other week as they are nice and clean :)

use shavings at the moment but i really need something else as my whole stable block stinks! someone has suggested stovies? are they really going to make a difference? please give me your input
many thanks

smokey

Visit site
I was well confused at this post... i always ate stovies... never imagined i would use it anywhere near a stable! :p

As above, I was going to give you a recipe!:D. I use Verdo wood pellets, and they are fantastic, if stovies are the same I would recommend them.
PM me for my secret recipe!:D

Last edited:

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I use Stovies (as well as eat the other stovies!)

They are great - I think they are a high quality wood pellet from my experience. I use them both alone and mixed with a quarter hemp. The pellets (if you properly dampen the bags you put in to make up the original bed) are very absorbant and the bed takes less than half the time to muck out than a conventional straw or shavings bed, plus they dont stick to rugs/horse/your clothes.

Altho the bed doesnt look as deep and thick as a straw one, I think my horses prefer it, its more like a forest floor, all nice smelling and dry and flat - which is after all more what they would sleep on in the wild.

They alse tuck into small spaces for storage, so altho they do need to be kept somewhere completely dry, its amazing how little space they take up.

I also like the eco aspect that they come from the same county that I live in.

They are great - I would recommend trying them. Not sure about costs in comparisons to other makes but they've certainly saved me a lot of cash compared with shavings etc.

threeponies

Visit site
They are great, I used them for the whole of last winter and into the spring this year for my 2. My mare is very wet and likes to pee in the same spot so I ended up taking out the 'pee mound' every weekend but there was still very little waste. My Shetland gelding is fantastic on them, very tidy and only needs about a bag a month. Downside would be cost of setting up an whole new bed, I like to use 13/14 bags over rubber mats to make a nice big bed. I'm looking at buying a pallet of Verdo for this winter so would be interested to know of anyone who has used Stovies and Verdo to see if the quality is comparable.
I've also used the Stable Yard brand of pellets but they weren't as absorbant as the Stovies

Mince Pie

Visit site
I was seriously confused as to what a thread about food was doing in SY!

I used them as the base layer for a deep litter bed, found them great but very heavy to clear out.

smokey

Visit site
They are great, I used them for the whole of last winter and into the spring this year for my 2. My mare is very wet and likes to pee in the same spot so I ended up taking out the 'pee mound' every weekend but there was still very little waste. My Shetland gelding is fantastic on them, very tidy and only needs about a bag a month. Downside would be cost of setting up an whole new bed, I like to use 13/14 bags over rubber mats to make a nice big bed. I'm looking at buying a pallet of Verdo for this winter so would be interested to know of anyone who has used Stovies and Verdo to see if the quality is comparable.
I've also used the Stable Yard brand of pellets but they weren't as absorbant as the Stovies

I use Verdo, and they are fab. Can't compare them to stovies as I haven't tried them. very easy to skip out, no waste. Only downside is their weight when wet, but no worse than a wet shavings bed. :)

AMW

Visit site
I use Stovies and rate them highly, we buy a pallet at a time. Make into a nice bed and cuts costs and mucking out time. I used Verdo pellets for a short time but moved onto Stovies. Verdo are dacker and a make into much shorter, harder bed, hard to describe but basically they don't fluff up as well.
We go & pick up a pallet direct as close to us, works out cheaper than individual bags and of course better still if you have a wood burning stove ;)

Mister Ted

Visit site
Used to use similar pellets to help save on bedding.Pony would pee in same places every day so put several handfuls on the specific areas then shavings on top.Worked great and just removed the soaked clumps.You need a deepish top bed ideally.Stovies are meant to be watered first and then fluffed up but cant see the difference apart from less storage room needed.Iused pellets straight but would not do that with a foal in case it ate some.

Ladydragon

Visit site
i honestly cannot believe that no one on this forum uses the wood pellets?

I do...:)

Liverpool wood pellets... We used the premium for our disgustingly dirty, pee like the proverbial racehorse, bed trashing TB as they are more absorbent... The others are on the budget range and they work just fine...

Sooooo much easier than shavings and way less smelly than straw... Added bonus of a much smaller muck heap too... :)

Scottish_Miss

Visit site
Hi - Have used these in past and love them. Great that they are from same country and very low maintenance. Easy to store - although must be dry. Excellent cust services and delivery time scales. Great for messy horses - quick easy to muck out as most wood pellets are.

Have used other too - like puffin, and now going to try Blue Ribbon.

Have seen others use Verdo - but TBH they look horrible - not as fluffy and don't break down as well from those I have seen use them.

I usually shop around between stovies and puffin for best price when ordering.

Had heard horror story's of LWP for delivery so never used them but know other who have done so and no issues.

Go for it i'm sure you will convert