Tell me about sweet itch?

hobgoblin

Visit site
It seems that the lovely little companion pony I took on last autumn has sweet itch :( I've spoken to his old owner and he's never suffered with it before ( and didn't show any signs when I went to look at him)
When I first got him here in September I did notice that he did a lot of 'tail swishing'
Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago he has been getting more and more itchy I thought it was maybe his coat changing at first however he has become more and more itchy he now has a bald tail and today has started on his neck. Due to having no history I re wormed him in case of pin worm and frontlined him in case of lice ( my two horses are fine) I thought maybe he was getting too hot but he has only been clammy once and I'm loathed to clip him as this will only make it easier for him to be bitten?
I bathed him on Saturday with dermaline (sp?) but he's no better, friend with sweet itch pony said hers hasn't shown any signs yet ( but about 5 miles away)
He's still stabled at night but quite grumpy/distressed/itchy/swishy so.....
Reccomendations for best course of action lotions, potions and rugs to keep the midge at bay??
I don't think it could possibly be anything else as my 2 tbs are fine they all share t/o and brushes
Thanks in advance x

stargirl88

Visit site
If he has never shown signs before, it could be to do with something else. May be worth getting him tested, you don't want to start forking out for sweet-itch goodies when it's non-related, it's not cheap!