Tell me about thermatex (or the likes) leg wraps

McW

Visit site
I'm about to have my first winter with a horse who wears brushing and overreach all round in the fieldfor about 12 hours. When he comes in, I ride. But I have noticed a ring of mud gathering on his hoof under the overreach so I've been swapping these over to dry ones before I ride, and pushing off the mud I can. However I am thinking the constant wet against his legs won't be that great for him, and I'm concerned about mud fever. I currently don't hose but am thinking should I hose and put these on?

Does anyone use these stable wraps? I may not leave them on all night but perhaps put them on after hosing, and before riding. I just feel he's contstantly wearing wet boots or in the morning having wet overreach put on.

He can't go out naked sadly - silly horse.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
I use the thermatex ones when it gets really cold on my arthritic horse. I find they are great and stay on all night and come up lovely when cleaned. Would buy the shiney ones next time as shavings stick to mine.

be positive

Visit site
I have one horse out in over reach boots, he gets a layer of mud under them round the coronet, I always give a quick hose off before putting clean boots on to work in, the dirty boots also get washed and are dry and clean to put on when needed.
I have used wraps overnight, the thematex ones are good but I feel that until it gets cold they are better left without, the legs dry quickly enough at this time of year and I do not think it is good for their tendons to be wrapped up 24 hours a day, unless absolutely no other choice.

Izzwizz

Visit site
I have one horse out in over reach boots, he gets a layer of mud under them round the coronet, I always give a quick hose off before putting clean boots on to work in, the dirty boots also get washed and are dry and clean to put on when needed.
I have used wraps overnight, the thematex ones are good but I feel that until it gets cold they are better left without, the legs dry quickly enough at this time of year and I do not think it is good for their tendons to be wrapped up 24 hours a day, unless absolutely no other choice.

^This^ I used the Thermatex wraps to dry out my mares legs when she had a bit of mud fever, after hosing off. Dried them out well. Also used them when a different mare was on box rest when it was very very cold. Wouldnt use them otherwise as it isnt good for tendons to get them too warm.

Ouch05

Visit site
Yes I use them on my old boy in the winter when he comes in. If his legs are really muddy I hose off and out wraps on but if they aren't I just brush off. They come up lovely when washed and I have been using them for 3 winters so far.

Taisypops

Visit site
My mare wears them overnight partly to help dry her legs off after hosing the mud off and partly to help keep her legs warm, I love them :) x

McW

Visit site
Thanks all, something to consider for the colder nights then. Yes sadly he does need them all the time, he has vented ones which help. I wish he didn't there is nothing more gross than slimey boots to take off. Thanks!

rowy

Visit site
^This^ I used the Thermatex wraps to dry out my mares legs when she had a bit of mud fever, after hosing off. Dried them out well. Also used them when a different mare was on box rest when it was very very cold. Wouldnt use them otherwise as it isnt good for tendons to get them too warm.

Tendons won't get too warm unless the horse is exercising in them or has them on directly after exercise before the tendons get a chance to cool. They have to get to roughly 40degrees before the tendons start breaking down.

I use equilibrium leg wraps as soon as my older mare comes in at night. They really keep her filled legs down and they stop her stepping on herself in the stable which she has done once lol.

wiglet

Visit site
I use Thermatex leg wraps on my old mare overnight in the stable when it's a chilly night. She really seems to appreciate the extra warmth.