Tell me about Wintec saddles

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Further to my thread a few weeks ago about my saddle problems, I’ve not ridden since properly but finally have a saddler out tomorrow to try and find a replacement that we care both happy with.
Now I know everything is going to be way over the budget I don’t even have for a new saddle (having only purchased the last one 6 months ago for an unplanned horse purchase, moneys tight!)
I know the saddler coming out stocks, probably amongst others Fairfax, Albions and Wintecs new. She then will bring any second hand stock that may fit the bill.
Now when first shopped for him I discounted Wintecs and Fairfax without even looking at them. Now I’m wondering if I should give the Wintec a try.
I bought a horse years ago that came with a wintec 2000 which I figured would be awful and I’d just replace but In reality was surprised how much I liked it.
They are very light and easy to care for, especially for a lazy tack cleaner like me.
Also pretty concerned that he may change shape again and I’ll be in the same situation this time next year, at least if a wintec suits it can be altered a bit with the seasons or work load.
Im not sure what type they are most suited too.
Does anyone use one? How do you rate them?
Anyone regret buying? I know the resale compared to new value is pretty poor.

spacefaer

Visit site
I've got one (2000) which is my young horse and/orwet weather saddle. It's got quite a curvy tree so fits in a similar way to my Stubben Siegfried. Most of our lot are Siegfried shaped. It's comfortable and fine for hacking. I can't jump particularly well in it (lower leg instability) and certainly nothing over 90cm. But it does its job just fine. I bought it as new but previously owned so can't comment on re/sale value

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ok thank you!
I knew one of either wintec or T’good had more of a curvy tree than the other. I hate Thorowgood or K&M saddle so was hoping it was the other way round!

Nasicus

Visit site
I like my Wintec AP 500 Cair. I like the utility of it, the ease of cleaning, and ease of adjusting and not having to worry about scuffing or scratching it like I would do with an expensive saddle.
That said, I do just hack. I wouldn't like to comment on their use/suitability for all disciplines and types of horse, but it's seen me through 3 chunky cob types, plenty of rough and wild hacking, and saved countless hours of meticulous tack cleaning.
Resale value is poor, by all means, but it does mean you can pick them up dirt cheap. I've had mine from new and certainly got my moneys worth out of it! Definitely worth getting the gullet measuring gauge so you can keep track of that in between saddle checks, and there's a insert set too that can be useful to have if adjustments need to be made on checks.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I like my Wintec AP 500 Cair. I like the utility of it, the ease of cleaning, and ease of adjusting and not having to worry about scuffing or scratching it like I would do with an expensive saddle.
That said, I do just hack. I wouldn't like to comment on their use/suitability for all disciplines and types of horse, but it's seen me through 3 chunky cob types, plenty of rough and wild hacking, and saved countless hours of meticulous tack cleaning.
Resale value is poor, by all means, but it does mean you can pick them up dirt cheap. I've had mine from new and certainly got my moneys worth out of it! Definitely worth getting the gullet measuring gauge so you can keep track of that in between saddle checks, and there's a insert set too that can be useful to have if adjustments need to be made on checks.
I think I have the gauge from previous horse. I also have a few bars but probably too narrow for this one.
I only hack him at the moment but plan lessons at least, maybe more ?‍♀️

Northern Hare

Visit site
When I first had my horse I had a budget for a GP and a dressage saddle. My saddler at the time came out to do the fitting and I decided to go for a made to order Albion dressage saddle, so that didn't leave much budget for the GP!

The saddler left me with a Wintec GP - I think the 2000 model. It was a fraction of the price of the dressage saddle, but my horse always went far better in it!

Later I changed it for a Thorowgood T5 (?) which was a great saddle as well and fitted him really well. I did keep meaning to upgrade it to a leather saddle but he was so comfortable in it so I figured that was the most important thing! ?

I liked that they're easy to adjust (although I always let the saddler do it for me so he could check the fit), and they're less likely to get pinched if you're storing your saddle in a shared tack room on a big yard! ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have a Wintec 500 wide cair, it's been used in emergency and wet days. I actually find it fine to ride in and 2 saddlers have said how well it fits B (one was a little astounded as she detests them).
It's still in good nick even now and I'd expect at least £200 for it.
The girth straps will eventually need replacing, as with all the synthetic saddles.

Tbh, it's a far better shape for me and B, than a t/good which I detest sitting on!

holeymoley

Visit site
I had a Wintec 500 when they first introduced the gullet system back in circa 2005 and I really liked it. My horse was a youngster at the time and it done us both fine. I tried the newer style Wintec 500 on him a few years ago and while the saddle itself was fine, I found it horrendously uncomfortable :(

Saying that, I have a Wintec Isabel Werth dressage saddle and I find it very comfy!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I had a Wintec 500 when they first introduced the gullet system back in circa 2005 and I really liked it. My horse was a youngster at the time and it done us both fine. I tried the newer style Wintec 500 on him a few years ago and while the saddle itself was fine, I found it horrendously uncomfortable :(

Saying that, I have a Wintec Isabel Werth dressage saddle and I find it very comfy!
I believe the older 500’s weren’t the best! I got a cheapo so my daughter could keep a new horse going until we got a saddle fitting appointment and although she was fine In it I found that awful to ride in.
I’m hoping the better newer models (as your dressage) to be better ?

Pippity

Visit site
I have a Wintec 500 Wide Cair. I really liked it but, sadly, despite two saddle fitters being sure it fitted, the horse was admant it didn't. I listened to the horse and it's been sitting in my tack room for two years now, waiting for me to get round to selling it. Sadly, with it being brown, it seems to be worth significantly less than a black one.

I replaced the synthetic girth straps with leather ones - easier to fasten and I just trust leather more.

cjwchez

Visit site
My personal opinion is that wintecs are generally better suited to rounder / wider type horses such as cobs and I have known them in a few cases to not properly fit horses of a narrower / slimmer build. Although the gullet bars can be adjusted they will often not fit a horse properly at the back due to the panels being so large and covering a wide surface area. I have often found that if a wintec is put on lighter / slimmer horses, even with the correct gullet bar in, the back of the saddle will lift off the horses back in canter or going over jumps etc

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I suspect from some of the above comments that they won’t be right anyway which pretty much answers that question!
Let’s hope she has something second hand affordable!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I thought the same about Thorowgoods, really didn’t get on with them. I have a kent and masters now, it’s lovely.
Only tried one. I was incredibly lucky to be given one.
I felt tilted forward in it. Since then a saddler said that was fairly common and rectified by a slightly larger seat. Too late as I already had it and couldn’t change it without looking super rude! It was 17” maybe I should give a 17.5 a try ?‍♀️
I like their price tags and the adjustability

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Who are you getting out tomorrow P? I am thinking of getting B a Wintec or similar as his saddle weighs a ton and I don’t find it very comfortable. Typically my MW 17 Jeffries is a tad to long for him but fits everywhere else.
You are more than welcome to try mine for as long as you want as its currently gathering dust in the spare room at present, it's a brown 17" (but fits more like 16.5) with a white gullet in and no offence taken if you dont want it xx

Palindrome

Visit site
I have a Wintec Lite and a pro dressage for a trotter and a warmblood, both saddles are newish models, the old panels used to be fairly banana shaped but the new ones are flatter.

The Wintec Lite is very versatile in fit, my friend who has worked for pro riders told me they use it in a lot of riding schools.

The pro dressage I like even better but I am biased as I tend to prefer dressage saddles.
It fits my horses well, they generally have the wide gullet (white). I prefer to fit a slightly wider gullet and add a polypad or a sheepskin pad underneath.

I also have a Thorowgood high wither and it wasn't as comfortable to me as the Wintec, I think the Wintec fits well people with wide hips but the Thorowgood not so much.

ETA: this is my trotter with the Wintec Lite (sorry for the odd angle, he was untied so I didn't want to venture too far away :D)
69726626_10218873948098323_5178315758093991936_n.jpg

Peglo

Visit site
I really like my wintec. I’m not sure if it’s the saddle or pony or both but I feel so safe and comfortable riding my pony in it. I also like how light and easy to look after it is. (Or lack of looking after it gets.)

Widgeon

Visit site
I have an old Pro Dressage on a cob and I quite like it. I spent hundreds of pounds searching for a suitable saddle, trialling saddles, having two saddlers out etc, and was startng to despair. Then a friend of a friend offered me this one on trial - £100 if I wanted it. Horse was happy with it (and it was leagues better than the horrible Wintec AP he had been in) so we've had it almost two years now, mostly used (like @Nasicus ) for "rough and wild" hacking!

xDundryx

Visit site
Another who has a wintec lite cair that has been perfect for young thoroughbreds, and super comfy to ride in. I also have a wintec isabelle wurth dressage saddle which is like an armchair comfy and safe. Both are easily adjusted and our saddler rates them for the tbs who change so much from coming off the track or newly backed.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I really did not like the cair for mine and my horse hated it. sold the saddle and randomly found out same saddle caused issues with the horse it was sold to. However that may have been one bad saddle. I liked that they are light but really didn’t like sitting in it for long. It made my bottom very hot. Not sweaty, just really really horribly hot! ?

oh and edit - it did not hold value and was reasonably hard to get rid off for anything like the amount I paid! I lost a lot of money (relatively given it was ‘cheap’ to start with) and practically gave it away. Original saddler did well out of me. My own fault as I didn’t investigate all adjustable options before going with the Wintec.

Palindrome

Visit site
I really did not like the cair for mine and my horse hated it. sold the saddle and randomly found out same saddle caused issues with the horse it was sold to. However that may have been one bad saddle. I liked that they are light but really didn’t like sitting in it for long. It made my bottom very hot. Not sweaty, just really really horribly hot! ?

oh and edit - it did not hold value and was reasonably hard to get rid off for anything like the amount I paid! I lost a lot of money (relatively given it was ‘cheap’ to start with) and practically gave it away. Original saddler did well out of me. My own fault as I didn’t investigate all adjustable options before going with the Wintec.

I think the cair can be removed and replaced with wool flocking if needed/wanted. There are stories of the air coming out of the cair and the insert needs replaced so it's worth to keep in mind when buying second hand or if the saddle feels wrong (not your case as you bought from a saddler but it seems to be a problem that pops up regularly).
My Wintec lite doesn't have cair but some sort of soft foam instead.
My mum has a Wintec Lite too (after much praise singing from me) but said the seat is a bit too hard (she previously had a CWD with more cushioning and Devoucoux but not as good fit for the pony). This can be sorted with a seat saver but perhaps another con.

There is also Tekna in the budget adjustable saddle range. I had a Tekna dressage but it is for very flat backed horses and I felt the seat was a bit tight/shallow for me.

Landcruiser

Visit site
The place in Crete where I went last year used them on the trecking horses. I was a bit concerned because I ride western, and was expecting to feel uncomfortable in an english saddle over long distances on rugged ground. I was incredibly impressed with the wintecs. I was comfortable, nothing rubbed. The saddle was light, rugged (to an extreme - they were stored overnight under tarpaulins in a pile on the ground, checked in the back of trucks, soaked through...it was a fairly extreme 250km). I would definitely consider them, and am thinking about the western version for my youngster.

Palindrome

Visit site
The place in Crete where I went last year used them on the trecking horses. I was a bit concerned because I ride western, and was expecting to feel uncomfortable in an english saddle over long distances on rugged ground. I was incredibly impressed with the wintecs. I was comfortable, nothing rubbed. The saddle was light, rugged (to an extreme - they were stored overnight under tarpaulins in a pile on the ground, checked in the back of trucks, soaked through...it was a fairly extreme 250km). I would definitely consider them, and am thinking about the western version for my youngster.

I tried the western for a western lesson on a quarter horse and really wasn't impressed. The seat felt massive and the saddle was very unstable from side to side. It might work for you and your horse but I would try first if possible. I had previously ridden in a barrel racing Circle Y and it had felt fab.

Widgeon

Visit site
I tried the western for a western lesson on a quarter horse and really wasn't impressed. The seat felt massive and the saddle was very unstable from side to side. It might work for you and your horse but I would try first if possible. I had previously ridden in a barrel racing Circle Y and it had felt fab.

I think the general consensus seems to be that Wintec westerns aren't much good. Their English saddles are much better.

Widgeon

Visit site
My mum has a Wintec Lite too (after much praise singing from me) but said the seat is a bit too hard (she previously had a CWD with more cushioning and Devoucoux but not as good fit for the pony). This can be sorted with a seat saver but perhaps another con.

This is true, my old Pro dressage has a seat like a wooden board. I use a seat saver on it.