Tell me about your Highlands...

Jemma7967

Visit site
Hi, I am looking for some more info about highlands as we have always have finer Thoroughbred type horses and in the future will be looking for something different.

Daft question but do you find the majority to be quite sane and sensible?

I would be looking to show so looking for advice, so what makes a good highland? What would we be looking for when viewing and can anyone recommend any breeders?

Thanks in advance :)

pennandh

Visit site
I'm not sure I count as an authority, having only had the one Highland, but hey-ho. What follows is based on 11 years of owning a lovely gelding bought from the trekking centre attached to Dykes Hill Stud in North Yorkshire (which is my recommendation for a breeder of fabulous Western Isles type ponies).

Highlands, as a whole, are possessed of a strong self-preservation instinct. They will not tend to do anything that is likely to cause them harm. So, in that sense, yes, they're sane and sensible. However, they do have individual opinions, and a particular sense of humour, which not everybody gets on with - it tends to be a little bit of a marmite thing. Mr H (my lovely boy) is the safest thing ever when you put a beginner on him, but if he thinks whoever's on top knows what they're doing, he brings out the book of tricks. Nothing nasty, and he always seems horrified if his rider comes off (you get concerned snuffles until you get up and reassure him nothing's broken), but he's a lot more straightforward for those he considers need a straightforward ride.

Highland Ponies are very, very bright. You can train them to do pretty much anything (Mr H does jousting; barrel-racing; some minor stunt stuff; dressage; and working hunter, all on a semi-regular basis), so long as you're prepared to let them have a think about it whilst they're learning, because the high self-preservation instinct does mean they're often a tad cautious of new things until they've had a good shufti (riding in chainmail took us a few weeks of desensitising).

They are not, as a rule, built for jumping; so don't expect them to take you over 5' hedges on a regular basis. I don't mean to imply that they can't jump - indeed, those I've ridden have always been very tidy, careful jumpers, but they aren't as naturally scopey as, say, a Connie of the same size. Similarly, most Highlands need to be schooled the Classical way and learn to collect before they can extend well. However, being short-coupled and possessed of very strong hindquarters, most Highlands can do a much more correct piaffe than your average 'dressage-bred' warmblood (Mr H likes to do 'school trot' - a gait between collected trot and piaffe - on hacks, which is quite funny to watch because he looks like he's escaped from the Spanish Riding School).

There are multiple different sorts of Highland to choose from, all of which should fall into the breed description laid out here - http://www.highlandponysociety.com/index.php?id=88

Personally, I like the Western Isles variety, but it's very much a case of personal preference, and you're probably as well to see if you can try a few different types before you settle on buying one. Both the Highland Pony Society and the Highland Pony Enthusiasts Club are brilliant sources of info if you're not quite sure what you're after, and the people involved are generally very friendly; so don't be afraid of asking daft questions.

hlb93

Visit site
we have two lovely Highlands and they are very similar to look at but very different in personality! One is often moody and lazy but easy to work with, the other is friendly but bolshy and opinionated. Highlands are lovely, "easy" ponies to keep. They can do just about anything with the right background/training and are usually willing to please if they can see a point to it!

Mister Ted

Visit site
Have shared a field with a pure Highland.The first thing to remember is they are independant spirits and very strong.If they decide to go through a boundary fence nothing will stop them.! Their nature is very gentle and kind. The Royal Highland show in Edinburgh have a wonderful turnout each year from respected breeders.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Go to a reputable Highland pony stud and meet the ponies. Most owners are more than willing to flaunt what they have. The only way to learn about them and their unique nature is from one to one contact, preferably by riding a good one.

Oh, and read the thread at the link in my previous post, especially the warnings from JFTD! :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh, and read the thread at the link in my previous post, especially the warnings from JFTD! :)

He's only saying that because he's responsible for unleashing the Daemon that is Morrich Darach on the world...

Sane and sensible? Maybe. Depends on what you go for, and what type you like, if you pick something established or take a punt on a youngster. Both mine are pretty "safe" in that they're never nasty. One of them is sane. I wouldn't classify either as particularly sensible - but I don't entirely encourage them to be! My younger one particularly bucks the "sane and sensible", won't do anything to harm himself trend - he'd dance in the fast lane of the M1 if you dared him. He's probably a bit unusual though.

There are photos of mine on the previous thread, and about a million on their facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Hotbloodedhighland/), but they're an interesting pair in some ways as they're polar opposites in terms of conformation and, therefore, job.

My 10 year old looks like this:
12963421_458970904311961_5792482701084713370_n.jpg

And as such, is a total dressage diva. He's more highlandy in conformation - he's very upright and it's completely unnatural for him to gallop in any real sense (other than the showring sense). He's pretty successful in the show ring, when he's in late summer condition and I let his mane grow. I prefer to keep him leaner and do dressage though. He does, and can jump cleanly, to a reasonable height, but it's not natural to him and he doesn't enjoy it so we don't do much anymore. He's been pretty successful at TREC and played horseball willingly (if not enthusiastically!), and happily does arms work, trick work and gymkhana games.

My 6 year old is completely different. He's much flatter and he's lighter built. He has a much more open stride and, although I've yet to push him for it under saddle, has a gallop that tears strips off his brother. He covers the ground more and is much less workmanlike in his paces - he floats quite a lot! He's also pretty scopey over a fence (for a highland anyway), most importantly making horse strides quite well through combinations. I don't have any decent photos of him jumping anything decent sized (he's happy up to about 85-90cm square, but I don't push it much as he's only recently started to look really mature), but this was part of a small grid, up to 80cm upright, which he cruised through easily on horse distances.

13116332_470347476507637_664105227188216235_o.jpg

There are also smaller, stockier strains of highlands which are popular with some people (useless for me - I'm 5'8 with long legs!). I can't produce photos of those, but you would see many if you went on the highland pony facebook group.

I should add, both of mine came from DryRot's stud...

Last edited:

pansymouse

Visit site
I've recently come across them is numbers and that's because the therapy yard next to ours use them. They obviously select ones that are calm and fit for their purposes but they have at least four both young and old and have had the breed for a number of years. I also have friend who has one that she and her son ride and they are both bold forward going riders and seem to have a lot of fun on their mare.

If I was advising a novice on choosing a breed to look at I would certainly guide them away from cobs towards Highlands - I've met far more nice mannered, sensible ones than I have cobs.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Not sure if it's the same in the horse world but they do say dogs get like their owners, or vice versa.

I won't point the finger but both of JFTD's ponies were completely sane when they left here...:D Has it really been ten years?

But, seriously, there are different types of Highlands and the strains/lines seem to have been interbred so not so distinct any more. More's the pity. I don't know anyone who seriously line breeds so to a certain extent what you get is pot luck -- which adds to the interest of breeding, of course, but a bit of a culture shock when you come from line breeding working dogs for almost half a century. But please do decide what you want from a pony and do your research. I know mine do vary, other than all the youngsters being sired by the same stallion and sharing all the important characteristics.

The one thing that has impressed me over the last ten years is how tough they are. They are literally never sick or sorry in spite of being out 24/7 in the Highlands. And born outside too. I can't speak for other's as I occasionally hear, "Oh, Highlands are prone to *****". But they don't seem prone to anything much here, except giving me enormous pleasure and a lot of satisfaction when I see what owners like JFTD have done with them.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I won't point the finger but both of JFTD's ponies were completely sane when they left here...:D Has it really been ten years?

Need I remind you of "Darach gate-gate"? :D

7 years since I bought Fergus near enough. He'll be 10 on Sunday.

windand rain

Visit site
I have two mother and daughter both are as different as chalk and cheese. Mum is sane sensible up to a point. Takes care of her rider and can be used to teach a baby or your granny to ride but once you can she will up the game and will go eventing can jump like a stag hence having a 5.6 foot fence round her field has wonderful open easy to ride paces and is a small but beautifully put together pony who has won and been placed at all levels and all disciplines.
Her 7 year old daughter is a pocket rocket goes everywhere at 90 mph, jumps anything in front of her and could be a scary ride as she seems to have missed the sensible bit in the genetic make up. She is like a dead donkey when you are on the floor though meanders around is polite and not pushy except if you put a headcollar or bridle on she doesnt seem to like anything on her head so will rub like mad on you She always reminds me of Eeyore as she tends to stand about with her head hanging a lot.
They are easy keepers and as long as have been taught not to barge about are easy to deal with too. I am fortunate in mine have an off button when it comes to eating so they do stop when full many dont so I do have to feed mine year round on a low sugar, high fibre diet. Never been sick or sorry, have been brilliant to care for only vets visits have been for jabs and accidents.
My only issue is keeping them in the old one jumps the younger one will go through a non electrified fence by leaning on it and for no apparent reason. I love mares, so cannot tell you what a gelding would be like the mares are resourceful, kind and gentle with wonderful ability to learn and pretty unflappable demeanour
Should add that neither bucks, rears or would do anything to hurt anyone deliberately but I daresay they could be taught to should you feel the need

Last edited:

Pigeon

Visit site
Our first pony was a Highland! Hilarious horse, and a big character.

He didn't jump. He COULD jump, but anything non solid he would just amble through - didn't see the point of lifting up his legs any higher than absolutely necessary. He was THE most stubborn horse I have ever met but solid as a rock and he put up with small children climbing all over him and always had a smile on his face. He was always the one in charge, and often made much more sensible decisions than us! A real childminder pony haha.

Highlands

Visit site
They don't suffer fools, don't think they are cute! We have four. Three are sane and sensible and the other is 99% time! You can do everything on them!