Tell me about your Quarter horses

TPO

Visit site
There used to be a stud (I think it's the people who make Pure Feeds) that started doing TB crosses. Pretty sure they closed their stud to concentrate on the feed if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm surprised that TB x QH haven't gained more popularity over here as it would be a very handy cross for someone looking for TBx but not wanting natives.

There seem to be quite a few Welsh x QHs out there for the past few years.

paddy555

Visit site
Yeah, when I was working at my uni's riding school (in the US), I was test riding the potential schoolies. A very cute QH mare came in. Such a lovely nature, but if you pushed her to do anything more physically taxing than light walking and trotting around the arena, she would tie up. That was like 2002, not sure how much they knew about PSSM then or if the testing existed. But that horse definitely had something like that. Shame, because she was nice. I've known a few others who had problems with tying up.

the link below suggests Valberg first found this in around 1992. This article is dated 2011 so if anyone reads it bear in mind there has been a lot more research since then. Doesn't alter the problem sadly.

https://ker.com/equinews/update-pssm-horses/

L&M

Visit site
We have a QH x ISH mare and she is awesome - we got her direct from the breeder and the stallion was a well known australian QH.

She is a real mix of character, she is amazing to handle and as gentle as a kitten. To ride she is very obedient and willing but can be sharp and massively powerful through her hind end. She is a fantastic jumper but can also put in a few bucks when excited, but has a mouth like butter and ridden in the mildest of snaffles. She is very brave and my partner Field Masters off her for our local trail hunting pack, with most of the field struggling to keep up as she is so fast!

Would be great to try her at gymkhana or barrel racing as can turn on a sixpence and is seriously competitive, but not sure if we would be brave enough to have a go!!!!!

cowgirl16

Visit site
There used to be a stud (I think it's the people who make Pure Feeds) that started doing TB crosses. Pretty sure they closed their stud to concentrate on the feed if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm surprised that TB x QH haven't gained more popularity over here as it would be a very handy cross for someone looking for TBx but not wanting natives.

There seem to be quite a few Welsh x QHs out there for the past few years.

That'll be the Mendip Stud at Axbridge. Used to be run by John and Lou. They closed quite a while ago. Think it's a riding school and livery yard now. I competed there years back. Loved the place.

TPO

Visit site
That'll be the Mendip Stud at Axbridge. Used to be run by John and Lou. They closed quite a while ago. Think it's a riding school and livery yard now. I competed there years back. Loved the place.

Thats them! Thanks

I remember original Pure Feed adverts on the back page of "Free Rein", the first UK western riding magazine. I'm sure the stud advertised in the magazine too.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes, the test is 'so unreliable' but again he fits the symptoms exactly.

Just because the test is unreliable doesn't mean your horses don't have PSSM, only that loads of horses that don't have it will test positive for it.

Most people with PSSM 2 horses are diagnosed on the symptoms anyway, just as you did.

It's a shame for buyers that the test isn't accurately predictive, but it would be a nightmare for sellers if the test was routinely demanded and they're unable to sell a horse testing positive when it doesn't have it.

I sorry i keep banging on about it, but the PSSM debate currently reminds me of the sarcoid situation, where Prof Knottenbelt issued a podcast saying "a horse with a sarcoid has no value", promptly decimating the value of any horse with a sarcoid.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I used to have a QH x mule. She was like a 16 hand dog. Unfortunately she had poor feet and legs so keeping her sound was problematic. If the farrier got the feet right the leg went astray so it was always a balancing act.

This did contribute to her not having a long life, lasting only just into her teens.

Alibear

Visit site
I have 2 1/2 from Sovereign Quarter horses as Daisy is in foal again :) Lovely horses are so easy to work with, relaxed about life but still forwards and responsive.
I spent a year having lessons, watching clinics and shows before I brought one and the UK ones are all pretty chilled, there are grades within that to suit peoples needs. Generally easy keepers as well. Definitely ask to see proof of a negative 5 panel though, so if it's through breeding you need to see the parents certs. These can be looked up online if you're an AQHA member which I am. There seems to still be some people in the UK breeding from carriers and creating youngstock that suffer as they mature. Friends have ones from other reputable UK studs and are out and about having just as much fun as me :)
If it's cheap there will be a reason, probably best to avoid. Sorry but that's the way it is.
If buying a purebred, ask to see the horse's AQHA registration and the seller's name needs to be on there as owner. If they're not they need to get that fixed before you buy or it can end costing £100s and sometimes can't be sorted if you can't track down the owner shown on the papers.

Last edited:

Billyandme

Visit site
I have had a pure QH who was a complete star - unless you took him hunting or a fun ride. When he came to me he was ridden jn a3 ring dutch gag, gracle noseband, standing and running martingale. I took the whole lot off and started from scratch. I normally hacked o
In a snaffle but upgraded to cherriy roller snaffle. H was a brilliant horse and very gentle unless hounds wer about.

The 2nd was a QH/arab cross or Quarab. This one was a nightmare. Beautiful to look at but rude, pushy, viscious both ends, bucked like hell and reared. Alsoran up huge vet bills. Eventually he smashedm yankle to bits whenhe reared and came down on me. As he was 19 I took the decision to pts. He had arthritis, PPID and ESM.