Tell me its going to be ok now...please

wodger_woo

Visit site
I was worried about my lovely titchy pony not doing enough so I offered to another woman on my yard as a 'share' for her 6 year old daughter along with my son.
Basically they have taken the p*ss. The pony has been worked hard (for over an hour) every day since August 20th. On 3 occasions now I have asked them to let her have a day off....which has been ignored.
Yesterday I said she was to be left on her paddock as I didn't want my horse to bstart being a idiot when she was taken away (he had just had a shoe put back on and was a little foot sore) but the Father decided to ignore me and still got her in to be ridden.
mad.gif

The poor thing is bloody knackered and this morning I called and said in no uncertain terms that under no circumstances was she to be ridden.
I haven't received any of the money they were supposed to be contributing towards her keep.
Its really stressed me out but its my fault for thinking that we could handle things as adults - so today I've knocked up a rough draft of a share agreement.
Basically I've said that they can ride her Monday, Wednesday and Saturday unless I give permission for more. They are to pay £10 a week and if they don't I will terminate the agreement. amongst other things.
I've left this in hte tackroom with a nice note saying that I think for everyones benefit we should have an agreement.
So basically they sign or forget about my pony.
I feel like a weight has been lifted but I need reassurance I am being reasonable aren't I?

jumpthemoon

Visit site
OMG of course you are being reasonable! poor little ponio! Some people are sooo selfish! I suppose next time you will forget about the 'acting like adults' business and plough straight in with a contract!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Dont blame you. I have to admit I have been looking for ages for sharers for 2 of my horses, but all I seem to get is people that want me to fund they're hobbey. All I have been asking is £10 p/w for as much riding as they like with no work - and that seems to much to ask? Both are nice horses that go reasonably well. I just dont get it.

Porkie

Visit site
You've definitely done the right thing !! I am on the other side of the fence, so to speak - I loan my boy from a very nice lady. She is a good friend now but I didn't know her before - our paths crossed through a friend at the yard and we got talking and she asked if I wanted to try riding her 'old chap' (he's 26) who had no rider. I agreed and 18 months down the line I have him full time !! Admittedly she has never drawn up any kind of agreement, probably more because me loaning him just 'came about' rather than advertising.

I have mentioned it but she has said I have never given her any reason to feel she needs one!
smile.gif
But I would never do anything she wasn't happy with, if she asks me to do/not to do something I always respect her wishes, and in return I get to treat him as my own 24/7, and I adore him and probably worry more about him than anyone! I can't believe your sharers have ignored your requests, some people just don't appreciate a good thing when they have one - poor pony!
mad.gif

Personally, I pay a contribution towards his livery for riding him, and although I was never asked to and had to fight to get her to take the extra money (she said she was just happy he was back in work and much happier & healthier for it!!) I now pay for all his feed and bedding (& the supplements I have put him on) and I pay for his farrier trim (he is barefoot). she only wanted £10 p/wk but I spend every evening there and love him to bits ad would feel I was taking the pee if I only paid that small amount!

Luckily in my case both owner and loaner are very happy with the situation and i guess I have proved I am more than trustworthy - but having heard many horror stories in my time if I were an owner puting my horse/pony out to share or loan I would definitely have an agreement drawn up.

You def did a good thing!

poops

Visit site
You are definitely being reasonable.
These people are getting a good deal from you and your pony.
Hope it turns out ok.

kerilli

Visit site
they've been very unreasonable so far, and if they don't pay you what they owe you to date, i'd terminate the agreement now. if they wreck the pony, physically or mentally, by working her so hard and ignoring you (let alone if your horse crocks itself because they've ignored your request) they don't sound the sort to pay vets bills.
bin them. get new sharers, if necessary. seriously. they sound awful.

Tinypony

Visit site
I think you're being too reasonable. They've already knackered your pony and deliberately ignored your specific request that she wasn't to be ridden. I think you'll spend all your time worrying about keeping an eye on them to make sure they keep to the agreement.

wodger_woo

Visit site
Many thanks everyone! I certainly would never be so naive again.

Basically the agreement says that I'm responsible for all of the basic care of the pony unless they want to help (they have a chushy number here)
They can ride her on the 3 days unless I say that they can ride more.
That they are responsible for any additional vet or shoeing costs that might occur as a result of their using her.
That if the payment falls into arrears I can terminate the agreement.
That I'm not resposible for anything that might go wrong (very important I think!!)

I've actually taken the loan agreement from the BHS website and tweaked it to make it suitable.

A few people that know her say there is no way she will sign it , which I'm actually hoping now that is what she will say, because hopefully this has given me a get out of a situation which hasn't been what I thought it would be.

wodger_woo

Visit site
This is very true. Yesterday I was all ready for just marching up to her and telling her it was finished.
HOWEVER we are on the same yard, with stables near each other and mutual friends. It would have caused more trouble than it was worth. Our yard is very rare in that there is no bitching, back biting or politics (I know vv lucky) quite frankly it is best left that way.

This contract I've drawn up also gives me the option of withdrawing from the agreement (provided I give them 30 days notice)

As I've said before people have said that there is no way she will agree to the contract. For a start she has been heard making plans for the pony on both Saturday and Sunday next week and hey she is already 3 weeks in arrears with her payments. Quite frankly I'm just waiting for the phone call saying that she is not happy with it so that I can say "fine obviously this agreement isn't going to work for us so may be you should find another pony"

I think she has got confused about a 'share' and a 'take the total piss' agreement

Tinypony

Visit site
Honestly, if you really want out of the situation just ring them and tell them you've changed your mind and you don't want them to share her. It seems to me that you are hoping she won't sign the agreement and therefore it will let you off the hook. But as they've already betrayed your trust and you aren't happy then why leave it to chance? I'd just say that I had decided not to have them share her, because they obviously need a pony that is able to do more work. And if they argued or protested I'd just stick to my guns and say I've made the decision, I'm not going to change it.
If you loan or share you need people who you can trust, and it would help if they at least started out taking notice of your instructions, which this lot haven't. I'd look for another share and in fact I'd include them having to do some work in the contract. That way you would be more likely to get someone who is actually interested in your pony as a creature to be cared from, not some vehicle for entertainment only.
p.s. 30 days notice - a lot can happen in 30 days if they aren't treating your pony kindly.