Tell us why your dog is your hero...

HHO admin

Administrator
Visit site
At Guide Dogs for the Blind we believe that all dogs are heroes in their own unique way, so tell us why your dog is your hero?

puppies-walking.jpg

A leisurely walk is something many of us take for granted. However, for a blind or partially sighted person, it can be a huge challenge. Go Walkies for Guide Dogs is a series of sponsored walks where the dogs are the stars. In fact, it’s the only event of its kind where your dog gets sponsored to take part. Go Walkies events take place throughout the UK and every dog taking part is rewarded on the day with a special Go Walkies medal and goody bag.

Guide Dogs helps to transform the lives of over 5,000 people every year. The charity makes a lifetime promise to every one of their Guide Dog owners to provide them with a guide dog for as long as they need one

The lifetime cost of a guide dog is £50,000, and some guide dog owners may have up to seven dogs in their lifetime. By getting your four-legged friend involved, you can turn your everyday dog walk into a life-changing event, and raise funds to help train the guide dogs of the future.

Your dog may not be a guide dog but they can still be a hero for the day!

Visit www.gowalkies.org.uk to find out more.

Nickijem

Visit site
My 2 springers have been my heroes this last month. My husband has had a lengthy stay in hospital after being diagnosed with cancer. My friends have been very supportive and have said they feel sorry for me going home to an empty house after visiting time. Except - it isn't an empty house, I have 2 beautiful spaniels waiting for me to lick away tears and give me a cuddle. And there isn't a day go by when they don't make me smile!

lab

New User
myyellowlab.com
she is my hero becasuse she remind me every day that life is not that bad and puts a smile on my face without even trying...turning every day to a positive one :)

onieuk

New User
Visit site
my dog toby is my hero, we rescued him six months ago, he is two and a belgian shep cross we think, he has had a tough start in life, he was physically and mentally abused then spent a year in a rescue kennels. I lost my youngest daughter suddenly in november, she went to sleep and was gone in the morning she was eighteen, her bff was our border collie bingo, two days after aleisha passed, he went to sleep and followed her to rainbow bridge to keep her company as he had done for fourteen years, As you can imagine, we have been in a very dark place, but toby came into our life and rescued us, he gives me a reason to get up every morning, he is loving, loyal and loves to learn, he is never more than a few feet away from me and has licked away many tears.

Shantara

Visit site
Annie is 15 1/2yrs old. We've had her for almost 14.
While she has never done anything special or note worthy, she's always been my best friend. Always there for me when I've been sad and the horses are being a little too much. I know she's coming to the end of her days, but I feel so honoured that she's been a part of my life, and I've been a part of hers.

Here's a picture of her in her younger days <3
AnnieWoof.jpg

RaynerK

Visit site
My 2 springers have been my heroes this last month. My husband has had a lengthy stay in hospital after being diagnosed with cancer. My friends have been very supportive and have said they feel sorry for me going home to an empty house after visiting time. Except - it isn't an empty house, I have 2 beautiful spaniels waiting for me to lick away tears and give me a cuddle. And there isn't a day go by when they don't make me smile!
Wow your dogs really are heroes. I think they should have won this if it was a competition! Spaniels are always so happy and cheerful, it's infectious.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
This made me so sad to read. The true bond between owner and dog shown in the sadest way.
my dog toby is my hero, we rescued him six months ago, he is two and a belgian shep cross we think, he has had a tough start in life, he was physically and mentally abused then spent a year in a rescue kennels. I lost my youngest daughter suddenly in november, she went to sleep and was gone in the morning she was eighteen, her bff was our border collie bingo, two days after aleisha passed, he went to sleep and followed her to rainbow bridge to keep her company as he had done for fourteen years, As you can imagine, we have been in a very dark place, but toby came into our life and rescued us, he gives me a reason to get up every morning, he is loving, loyal and loves to learn, he is never more than a few feet away from me and has licked away many tears.

RaynerK

Visit site
This made me cry, I'm so glad you have Toby.

Nickijem

Visit site
Wow your dogs really are heroes. I think they should have won this if it was a competition! Spaniels are always so happy and cheerful, it's infectious.
Thank you RK! They are completely the best thing we could have right now and they continue to be real heroes. My husband is home now but quite poorly so spends his day lying on the sofa. His two girls curl up next to him and stay there with him all day without moving (which in itself can be a problem at times!). They are so good, not even asking to go out until I get home from work. They do have a good walk in the morning before I go to work and they know they'll get another walk when I get home but they provide so much comfort and company for my husband they are worth the world to me.

Hedwards

Visit site
NJ - I had no idea, but your girls are gorgeous. Hugs to you and hubby, let me know if you ever fancy meeting for a dog walk anytime! x

Nickijem

Visit site
Thanks H. Yes it has been a bit of a rubbish year, so much has changed since I last saw you! I would definitely love to meet up for a walk - I'll message you on facebook. My girls would love to see yours again although they are busy at the moment going shooting on Saturdays. x