Template for Equine Onesie

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Hear me out :D

I am planning on doing a Pas Seul dressage class in July, and I have a theme in mind and need a onsie type outfit (no hood) for the ponio. I am reasonably okay at sewing, so was going to attempt to make one. I have looked at buying a lycra show body number and adding the legs, but again, not quite sure how to so looking for instructions!

Unless someone could make me one :D

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
IIRC there's an American crafting company with "horserug" designs which include onesies or separate leggings. Can't remember which by google may well help you.

minkara

Visit site
best to google the name of any company you are considering purchasing from, the internet is a wonderful thing, this applies to dealers too!! might save an awful lot of grief cheers

LaMooch

Visit site
best to google the name of any company you are considering purchasing from, the internet is a wonderful thing, this applies to dealers too!! might save an awful lot of grief cheers

fully agree especially when lots of money involved

FubsyMog

Visit site
I wonder could you use a rug (something like a fleece) to make your own pattern from? Legs might take a bit more creativity but I would think if you take circumference measurements at various points down the leg, as well as the overall length, you should be doing rightly. Back legs would be more difficult because of getting the shaping over the hock. Maybe get some cheapy fabric (something like thin calico) that you could sketch the shape onto and make a mock-up?

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Rather keep ready made ones out of the mix.

FubsyMog - this was the direction I was heading in I think. But possibly more along the lines of really long leg warmers attached with velcro :D

FubsyMog

Visit site
Rather keep ready made ones out of the mix.

FubsyMog - this was the direction I was heading in I think. But possibly more along the lines of really long leg warmers attached with velcro :D

Just wondering, could you use a set of travel boots to get the general shape? Are you planning on doing stretchy or non-stretchy fabric?

Horseymom

Visit site
Hear me out :D

I am planning on doing a Pas Seul dressage class in July, and I have a theme in mind and need a onsie type outfit (no hood) for the ponio. I am reasonably okay at sewing, so was going to attempt to make one. I have looked at buying a lycra show body number and adding the legs, but again, not quite sure how to so looking for instructions!

Unless someone could make me one :D

A company called Suitability makes patterns for anything horse related you would want to make. They have a stretch sheet pattern and a hood pattern as well. I used those to make a onesie. I just added legs. I sewed my legs on but you could just attach with Velcro and then have a show sheet and hood for later. If you do attach with Velcro, I would make sure that if you put the Velcro on where it won't rub the skin if you leave the legs off.

*hic*

Visit site
I'm sure I'm going to regret saying this but . . .

Many moons ago I made an outfit for my daughter's pony involving two pairs of stockings and two suspender belts. At the time I remember thinking how much easier it would have been to buy to cheap pairs of opaque tights in the right colour, split them "up the divide", pull each resultant leg and tab over the hoof and up to the join with the body and then use velcro or poppers to attach to the rug.

FubsyMog

Visit site

Many moons ago I made an outfit for my daughter's pony involving two pairs of stockings and two suspender belts. At the time I remember thinking how much easier it would have been to buy to cheap pairs of opaque tights in the right colour, split them "up the divide", pull each resultant leg and tab over the hoof and up to the join with the body and then use velcro or poppers to attach to the rug.

I was wondering whether opaque tights would do the trick but wasn't sure if you'd be able to get them over the hoof without shredding them. Presumably you can! Maybe cheap leggings (Primark has loads of colours and go right down to mega skinny-leg sizes) would also do the trick.

*hic*

Visit site
If you get the real heavy duty ones they go over easily, obviously exercise a little bit of caution but you don't have to go as far as double plastic bagging the foot first.

Horseymom

Visit site
I was wondering whether opaque tights would do the trick but wasn't sure if you'd be able to get them over the hoof without shredding them. Presumably you can! Maybe cheap leggings (Primark has loads of colours and go right down to mega skinny-leg sizes) would also do the trick.

Or or maybe those really high socks that go over the knee. They have thicker ones and you could just cut the foot off. I think you are right, leggings would probably work too.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Good thinking with the leggings/thick tights. I want to do a suit, but as it's dressage want to be close fitting, but stretchy. He's barefoot, so probably less likely to snag tights than I am :D
Googling is so far bringing up images that are now burnt onto my retina, so clearly not having a great day fir correct search terms!