Temporary moves?

starfish8

Visit site
How long is an acceptable time to move your horse for? My circumstances (and another thread) have got me thinking about temporary moves. I have had to temporarily relocate (for various non-horse reasons) and so far my horse has stayed at his current full livery yard. I trust them completely to look after him and exercise him etc - so I do not feel I have to move him for any of those sorts of reasons. But, being away and only having one or two evenings a week to see him (after work, in a rush and now in the dark) means that my horse time is severely limited and I don't feel like I'm getting a great deal out of horse ownership at the moment.

The move is temporary, but without a definite return date at this point. My question is - would you move your horse temporarily to join you so you could spend more time with them, ride etc? And if so, how long would 'temporary' need to be to be justified?

I should add that I'm definitely not giving up horses, he's absolutely not for sale/loan while I'm away and when I bought him last year he moved over from Holland and settled in within a week or so - he's a very chilled sort. I can't change my other circumstances at the moment, where I'm living when I have actual free time to spend with him etc.

ponios

Visit site
I often move my horse to trainer when on holiday or when i am injured, it can be a weekend, week or 3 months if need be. He seems to settle in fine at both ends. I often see posts about moving horses and it does make me wonder if I am doing the right thing but there isn't much of an alternative for me as its better than him not being exercised.

If i was in your situation I would definitely move horse nearer, horses cost ££££ so get the enjoyment out of the cost and have him near by.

However i imagine it depends on the horse, I personally have never had a problem I have done the above with a few horses over the years. However, I implicitly trust the yard that they go to and it is a lovely environment, in fact I think they prefer it there (sadly too far away to be a permanent solution) so i think that also makes a big difference

Leo Walker

Visit site
It wouldn't even occur to me not to! Mine went away for a month for breaking and was fine. I expect her to go away for the weekend competing and not create a huge fuss.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I imagine that the biggest problem would be keeping your place at the current livery yard, if you would want to do so. I could be a very expensive 'temporary' move.

starfish8

Visit site
Thanks all. I've been worrying about a short term, fairly long distance move, not being fair on him - for me I would say 6 weeks is not worth it, one year is worth the move... but struggling to work out where the tipping point is.

My current yard is fairly large and I could give plenty of notice of a move back (or nab a stable when one comes up nearer moving back time), or alternatively pay to rent the box - I think that would still be cheaper than having him on full livery + exercising as he has had to be so far.

oldie48

Visit site
Our horses have always been able to go away for periods of time without it being a drama for them. As I've said in another post, I do notice that they can be a bit more clingy if we are away but when they go to a trainer they are kept busy and in a routine and are fine. I honestly wouldn't worry.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My mare has recently gone to a trainer for about 8 weeks in a couple of blocks of time as mum has been ill and I have been overwhelmed. I took her back home for a couple of nights or a week when it suited, when I had more time or for a specific competition.

She was only home for a week when I took her away for a weekend of training.

A previous horse came with me for 6 weeks when I went on a non horse related business course. Most people were out boozing in the evening, I was either riding or getting an early night so I could be out riding at 6am a short drive away.

No one knew until the last week, when the trainer saw me coming back in jodhs, a bit late for breakfast but in time to get showered and changed for the course (delayed because we were enjoying a wild moorland ride as the sun rose - magic!). I was actually told off, as apparently the reason t was a residential course was so we could concentrate 100%, without the distractions of home...

Ha Ha.

I have also stayed away for clinics, and for competing.

If the horse is confident in itself and the handler, I don't think they get traumatised at all by a move.