Temporary outdoor storage solutions

Ali27

Visit site
We’ve just purchased a field! Yay! Groundwork’s are being done at the end of the month but stables won’t be built until mid November. I’ve got a large storage box/ mini shed with feed, grooming kit etc in. But I’m looking for other ideas for storing larger stuff like hay! I do have a trailer but use it once/ twice a week so can’t really use that for much! Would appreciate ideas from anyone else with no access to stables/ barn! Thank you ☺️

cauda equina

Visit site
I hired a shipping container when my stables were being rebuilt
Or if access is a problem maybe buy a cheap old IW then sell it again once the stables are up

neddy man

Visit site
On e-bay (lorry bodies) a solid and secure 24ft / 7.2mtr x 9ft /2.7mtr x8ft6inch/2.6mtrs for £600 or a 21ft 6.3 mtr curtain sided one for hay storage £250 buy use and resell

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
if on v tight budget, can you not store hay on pallets and cover with tarp (making sure empty pallets are on top too before you throw tarp over) till stables are up?
Then when stables are up, if you cannot afford 'hard' storage, set out pallets at end of stables or at back, depending on space, attach eyelets as high as you can and attach tarp to these for this winter?

Always put something between tarp and hay and stretch tarp gently to remove creases and dips as much as you can, so condensation rolls clear and rain falls away easily.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Just be cautious of anything that may get planners excited about unauthorised development. Pallets will be your friend, as will tarpaulin, unless you can find a hay suppler that lets you buy in bulk but delivers in batches.

Esmae

Visit site
Not sure if you are wanting storage before your stables are built or after. If after then just put a lean-to on the back store hay on pallets in it. Reasonably inexpensive. Job done. If before then shipping container would do the trick.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
temp hay store....Polly tunnel? as long as you want, if you look in the local FB pages you would be able to find the frame which you can tarp over
1631551608175.png

Ali27

Visit site
Thank you everyone for ideas! Looks like a poly tunnel might do me for next 2 months! I will have a 12x 24 hay store and also a tack room once stables are built in November ☺️

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I am going to be that person - check with your local planning authority that you can have a poly tunnel without planning permission. I need planning for one as it is going to be a field and is not part of a residential dwelling. You can however, have a tent for 56 days.......

Sprig

Visit site
Another vote for buying another trailer and selling it later. You should be able to sell it on for what you pay for it.

rextherobber

Visit site
I am going to be that person - check with your local planning authority that you can have a poly tunnel without planning permission. I need planning for one as it is going to be a field and is not part of a residential dwelling. You can however, have a tent for 56 days.......
This is a good tip, where I live, you aren't allowed polytunnels..

Ali27

Visit site
Just spoken to my husband and he isn’t keen on a poly tunnel anyway? Looks like I might have to just store one small bale of hay at a time in a waterproof hay bag in my trailer and take it out whenever I use trailer! At least groundwork’s will be done at end of the month so I will have a mud free area then!