Tempting a fussy feeder

007Equestrian

Visit site
Hi all! My girl has decided she's not fussed on her feed. Any ideas on what I could do to tempt her? I'd rather stay away from molasses and ideally put something a bit healthier in but will do that if needed! On part livery so I need to make up all her feeds in advance so sugar beet isn't an easy option. She's a good doer and is eating plenty of hay but I really need her to eat up her supplements! She's currently on performance balancer and alfa-a with a joint and lymphatic supplement.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Dried spearmint can work, and it's good for the digestion. I wonder if it will be even better steeped in a bit of hot water, cooled, and then poured over the feed. I only ever used it just dumped dry into my horse's straw chaff but I reckon made into a kind of tea might bring out the flavour a bit better.

007Equestrian

Visit site
Fenugreek was proven to be one of the most appetising tastes to horses, plus it is good for them and beetroot powder is also something to try?

I like the sound of Fenugreek! Would rather something with some kind of health benefit if I can!

Dr oatker peppermint essence only need a few drops cheap and has no sugar in it, I can get mine to take anything with it in a feed or a syringe.

This would be a lot handier than having to keep any fresh ingredients! Thank you!

Griffin

Visit site
My fussy mare has discovered she likes tumeric this year. It's very handy because I just sprinkle a bit on an mix it in. It is reputed to have health benefits but she just really likes the taste.

Dried mint also works. If you're really stuck, Feedmark sell a 'Fussy Feeder' mix to sprinkle in which seems to work very well too.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Saracen Recovery in warm water goes down well, as does Spillers Senior Mash which smells of apple and cinnamon in warm water. Saracen Re-Leve again in warm water is relished. Veteran and Vitality in warm water smells good too.

We grow fresh garden mint in the summer and finely chop it up, pour hot water over it and mix in feed to dampen a basic ration.

Cragrat

Visit site
Mine is managing to pick through and eat the tasty bits from his feed, and leave the bran in which I'm trying to hide his minerals and Vit E. Even adding molasses to the bran doesn't work.
He will no longer eat alfalfa or grass nuts.
Neither will he eat Pink Mash any more- even without any added minerals etc, and Saracen Re-Leve is now eaten only grudglingly. I cannot wait for the grass to grow! I don't want to cut his work load, and I don't want to be looking at his ribs

(just to add, had the vet a couple of weeks ago, full check over and teeth done, no problems - just fussy)

Caol Ila

Visit site
Bloody horses.

I could do with suggestions for my barefoot Highland. I need a vehicle for his Forageplus hoof balancer. He's been on Pink Mash, but picks at it reluctantly. Leaves quite a bit, so he's not getting all his balancer. He looooooves Pegasus pony nuts (https://hawthornpetsupplies.co.uk/product/pegasus-horse-and-pony-cubes/), but they are probably not the healthiest, and it's difficult to mix them with powder. I throw a handful into the Pink Mash, which gets him eating some of it. I once tried micronised linseed, and he thought I was trying to poison him. Wouldn't eat anything it touched. Not even his beloved Pegasus pony nuts. He likes Dengie alfafa products, but I don't because they make him hotter and spookier than he already is.

I ordered some Agrobs Weisencobs. Eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I don't mind things you soak for a few minutes, i.e. Pink Mash, but not keen on stuff that requires overnight soaking.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Bloody horses.

I could do with suggestions for my barefoot Highland. I need a vehicle for his Forageplus hoof balancer. He's been on Pink Mash, but picks at it reluctantly. Leaves quite a bit, so he's not getting all his balancer. He looooooves Pegasus pony nuts (https://hawthornpetsupplies.co.uk/product/pegasus-horse-and-pony-cubes/), but they are probably not the healthiest, and it's difficult to mix them with powder. I throw a handful into the Pink Mash, which gets him eating some of it. I once tried micronised linseed, and he thought I was trying to poison him. Wouldn't eat anything it touched. Not even his beloved Pegasus pony nuts. He likes Dengie alfafa products, but I don't because they make him hotter and spookier than he already is.

I ordered some Agrobs Weisencobs. Eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I don't mind things you soak for a few minutes, i.e. Pink Mash, but not keen on stuff that requires overnight soaking.

Don't you just love them! I used a hoof supplement for a couple of years and my lad was never that keen on it. I switched to Equilibra a few years ago and it does everything it should and goes down a treat! Having said that, mine isn't a fussy eater. I can offer him anything and he will eat it, just a curl of the top lip if he isn't sure.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Just an update for anyone in this situation who comes across this thread: Agrobs Weisencobs are my new best friend. I throw a takeaway-tupperware full into the pan, add his supplements, then add just enough water to break down the Weisencobs. He's not into soup, so too much water is not good. I mix it all together, and the pony loves it.