Tendon Damage

Tori21

Visit site
This time last year my horse came in crippled lame from the field, scanned to show a hole in the DDFT in a horrid place low down in the fetlock. We have done 12 months box rest, with a gradual increase in walking out. The vet said he was then sound & to start ridden walk & sedated turnout in a small paddock. Now we are back lame (just noticeable in trot) with heat in fetlock, after the amount of box rest we have already had, I am reluctant to keep him back in. Insurance is now maxed out, I am continuing to turn him out in a small paddock, to give him chance to be a horse! I know time is the healer here and I don't mind if he is not ridden again (he is 20!) but I just want him as comfortable as possible. I was thinking of trying some herbal type pain relief such as devils Claw or Boswellia, any other thoughts of anything to help here?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I had a mare who couldn't be stabled at all, so when she hurt a tendon she was rested in a small paddock that was also electric taped off to make an even smaller area and to keep her on the flattest bit (I'm in Wales, so most of the fields are very sloping).

So yes, I would try paddock rest and time.

Mister Ted

Visit site
This time last year my horse came in crippled lame from the field, scanned to show a hole in the DDFT in a horrid place low down in the fetlock. We have done 12 months box rest, with a gradual increase in walking out. The vet said he was then sound & to start ridden walk & sedated turnout in a small paddock. Now we are back lame (just noticeable in trot) with heat in fetlock, after the amount of box rest we have already had, I am reluctant to keep him back in. Insurance is now maxed out, I am continuing to turn him out in a small paddock, to give him chance to be a horse! I know time is the healer here and I don't mind if he is not ridden again (he is 20!) but I just want him as comfortable as possible. I was thinking of trying some herbal type pain relief such as devils Claw or Boswellia, any other thoughts of anything to help here?
My 18yr old companion pony ruptured his DDFT after he was bullied in the field ,unknown to me at the time. He would not tolerate box test as it was summer and his mates were all out at grass so rigged up an outdoor area for him.He seemed to eventually be healing but never became easy in his movement again.The vet said it could take a couple of years for him to regain full movement but that time went and he was always noticeably lame.I tried every supplement going and found linseed helped with flexibility.Hilton Herbs are a renowned supplier of herb based remedies. Eventually pain in his leg was beginning to bother him and he was on long term bute every other day.Sadly it was not enough and we did the right thing for him and p.t.s. Its a serious injury to have and the devil to treat and not a lot vets can do anyway.
I hope you find something that is useful. If you dont detect pain I would just make sure he is in as good a condition as possible and keep his weight steady to relieve undue pressure on the leg. Be careful as some herbs have a more concentrated effect in oldies and can do more harm than good.H/herbs give good advice.