Tendon Injuries will soon be a thing of the past

Laura Healy

Visit site
Dear elite event riders,

My name is Laura Healy and I am currently in my final year of studying a BSc (Hons) degree in Equine Science at Hartpury University, UK.
As part of my third year of academic study we are required to research and produce an individual Dissertation project on a specific area of interest which will then contribute to our final degree.

Since commencing my studies here at Hartpury and with relevance to my involvement in Eventing I have developed a considerable interest into the occurrence of equine superficial digital flexor tendon (SDFT) injuries within the forelimb of the horse, as well as the extensive therapeutic treatments that can be used to assist the healing and recovery of such structures within the equine athlete.
Nowadays with the existence of tendon injuries within event horses becoming extremely prevalent, it is a subject matter of great concern to all participants involved in eventing and is continuously undergoing scrutiny in order to diminish such cases within the evening industry.
In relation to this I have chosen to compile my dissertation on the re-occurrence of SDFT injuries within elite level event horses throughout the UK and Ireland, I will be conducting a qualitative data collection whereby I will be sending out surveys to numerous elite level event riders.
The aims and objectives within my research project will be as follows:
* I wish to find out when the initial SDFT injury occurred to the horse.
* Investigate the training and performance level which the horse was working towards.
* Discover the anatomical location on fore-limb where lesion occurred.
*The grade/severity of initial lesion.
*The type of rehabilitation program that was selected for individual athlete, including all treatments administered.
*Length of time horse remained out of work(resting).
*The time in which horse commenced restricted exercise and examine the exercise protocol implemented prior to return to mid-level training.
*Date of final veterinary examination when veterinary surgeon grants the all clear on the commencement of training and fitness regime.
*Length of time taken for horse to return to previous level of work.
*If achieved, how long the horse remained at elite level eventing wthout injury.
*Time when SDFT injury re-occurred.
From these following aims I am hoping to draw a conclusive result into the most effective type of rehabilitation and treatment methods used on SDFT injuries, resulting in the horse returning to its previous athletic potential for the most prolonged time before the re-occurrence of injury.

I feel that my dissertation will contribute greatly to the on-going research that is being carried out into the re-occurrence of tendon injuries within elite event horses and, as this is a subject that is of great interest to me I am hoping that it will compliment and commend my future studies and career into this area of scientific knowledge.
In conjuction with this I would like to take the oppertunity to invite you to participate within my dissertation, which consists of 14 essential questions taking approximat 3.5 minutes to answer.
I am fully aware of the limited time that you may have but would greatly appreciate your support and involvement in helping me to collect such valuable data.

All information obtained about subjects will be kept anonymous, with no personal details being shared or stored. Participant confidentiality has been enforced throughout my study.

I greaty appreciate the time which you have taken to read my forum and hope that you can spare 4 minutes to successfully complete my questionnaire, which I know will be extremely beneficial to the future of our horses in elite disciplines.
Please click on the link below to be taken directly to my online questionnaire.

http://app.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/laura-healy/re-occurrence-of-sdft-injuries-in-event-horses/

Many Thanks.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I am currently treating a horse with SDFT injury please feel free to PM me. She wasn't an ELITE but she certainly had the potential for BE if not for her age and my issues. I would have comfortably competed her up to BE100

Hurry Up

Visit site
Dear Laura,

Good subect to be basing your dissertation on. Please take the following as constructive criticism:

Use a spell checker if you are going to use your post as part of your dissertation.

Quote: "Nowadays with the existence of tendon injuries within event horses becoming extremely prevalent, it is a subject matter of great concern to all participants involved in eventing and is continuously undergoing scrutiny in order to diminish such cases within the evening industry."

If I were an examiner I would ask for your proof that tendon injuries are now more prevalant compared to when eventing started. Also your above statement does not make complete sense.

How will your dissertation "contribute greatly to the on-going research that is being carried out into the re-occurrence of tendon injuries within elite event horses"? Have you researched previous studies of SDFT injuries? Have the same questions been already asked?

Please don't take this post the wrong way. You obviously have great enthusiasm for your subject and I hope that you pass with flying colours!

amage

Visit site
Interesting topic but ridiculous post title....as long as there are tendons (whether on humans, horses or any other species) they will get injured....tis just the way they are designed. You research does not seem to take into account the horses personality/temperament which can have a guide in which type of treatment is used....it also does not seem to take into account that what suits one horse won't suit others etc and by restricting to elite horses you are actually narrowing the pool of vets administering treatment so therefore may not get a true picture.

Laura Healy

Visit site
I am currently treating a horse with SDFT injury please feel free to PM me. She wasn't an ELITE but she certainly had the potential for BE if not for her age and my issues. I would have comfortably competed her up to BE100

Many Thanks for getting back to me,
I am sorry to hear that you have received such news about your horse. Having experienced the same issue, I sincerely hope your horse makes a full and speedy recovery.

Any participation from individuals is greatly appreciated, as they will all benefit my on-going research. If you feel happy to do so, please do take part in my questionnaire by clicking the link above.

Your involvement will be valued greatly.

Laura Healy

Visit site
Interesting topic but ridiculous post title....as long as there are tendons (whether on humans, horses or any other species) they will get injured....tis just the way they are designed. You research does not seem to take into account the horses personality/temperament which can have a guide in which type of treatment is used....it also does not seem to take into account that what suits one horse won't suit others etc and by restricting to elite horses you are actually narrowing the pool of vets administering treatment so therefore may not get a true picture.

Thank you for your feedback,
Yes I can understand that the title may be far-fetched, but my intentions were to seize individuals attention, inform them about the type of research I will be carrying out and invite them to take part.
Of course tendon injuries occur; all I wish to do is be part of the research that is looking at ways in which to prevent the re-occurrence of tendon injuries by methods of management, treatment and rehabilitation.
From my results I will not be pin-pointing one treatment method as the "right one to use", as of course every horse is distinct and will take to certain treatments differently. I wish to highlight and make people aware of the vast treatments that can be used on all of the numerous cases that come forward for prognosis in the future. Temperament along with many other factors will play a large part into the types of treatment used and I shall be discussing these within the limitations of my study. (If I was to include every detail under discussion within my dissertation on this forum this would be an extremely long read).
I am only producing an Under-Graduate study which myself and many of my tutors and supervisors have decided that by narrowing down my research to specifically analyse horses within elite eventing, I will be able to draw much more reliable results as I have refined my sample size. It would require years of on-going research and a Masters or Ph.D. funded project to investigate the re-occurrence of SDFT injuries within the entire equine population.
Again my contribution will only be a small part to such a growing concern, but I feel it is one that will be highly beneficial to larger, future studies.

Laura Healy

Visit site
Laura,

Why do you focus this study only on Event horses ?

Eventing is the discipline that I am greatly involved in and I have found that the majority of research carried out on SDFT injuries in horses has mainly focused on race horses and national hunt horses therefore I have selected event horses primarily for this project.
If all goes to plan and sufficient result are obtained, I shall definitely be considering other disciplines for future research as it`s an extremely prevalent issue.

Laura Healy

Visit site
So can anyone reply or is it constrained to Elite riders?

Thank you for your resonse,
Well im am specifically researching elite event horses that have competed within 2* level and beyond, with the exepction of 1* horses that may have been aimed at 2* around time of injury.
sorry if this has counted you out!