Tendon injury and shoeing

Lozturner

Visit site
My horse has had a tendon injury for a few weeks now. It’s his hind leg.

He’s due his feet done but I’m not sure if it’s best to get all 4 shoes back on? As he’s only going for quick walks around the arena. Or could leaving his back shoes off put more pressure on the injury?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It sounds like his back shoes have been off for a few weeks anyway? in which case personally I'd be living them off so long if they are in fairly good nick, I'd only be cautious if his heels were very low/under run that might not help the tendon.

Lozturner

Visit site
It sounds like his back shoes have been off for a few weeks anyway? in which case personally I'd be living them off so long if they are in fairly good nick, I'd only be cautious if his heels were very low/under run that might not help the tendon.

No all 4 are currently on.

Visit site
If he is currently in thebearly stages of tendon recovery I would either take the shoes off and not replace them or leave them on for a few more weeks if you can get away with it?!. I wouldn't want my horse having his leg held at odd angles being hoiked about.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I would have all the shoes off if you are only walking around the arena. Less weight, less concussion, and the ability for the hoof to flex and move normally can only help the tendon heal. What you don't want is for the horse to be creeping around and uncomfortable though. But why not give it a go, take the opportunity to give feet a break from shoes?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I would personally replace them or leave them on. Surely the elevation from the shoe will reduce the strain on the tendon? Sometimes you can have the option of inserting a small wedge to increase the elevation with particular tendon injuries (DDFT) whilst others are better with a lower heel (SDFT) and (Suspensory Ligament). But if you have the shoes taken off you don't have this option. You need to reduce any biomechanical forces on the tendon. Also when shoes are taken off there is a period of adjustment whilst your horse gets used to being unshod and depending on the surface your horse is walking on this can cause problems. You say you are walking him in hand around the arena which is okay as long as the surface isn't too deep as this will be counter productive. I'd speak to your farrier. Good luck whatever you decide.

Lozturner

Visit site
I would personally replace them or leave them on. Surely the elevation from the shoe will reduce the strain on the tendon? Sometimes you can have the option of inserting a small wedge to increase the elevation with particular tendon injuries (DDFT) whilst others are better with a lower heel (SDFT) and (Suspensory Ligament). But if you have the shoes taken off you don't have this option. You need to reduce any biomechanical forces on the tendon. Also when shoes are taken off there is a period of adjustment whilst your horse gets used to being unshod and depending on the surface your horse is walking on this can cause problems. You say you are walking him in hand around the arena which is okay as long as the surface isn't too deep as this will be counter productive. I'd speak to your farrier. Good luck whatever you decide.

The farrier suggested removing the back shoes. I have heard of these wedges but he said he wouldn’t do that unless it was recommended by the vet. So I will take this up on the vets next visit.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am surprised your vet did not advise on this point. I would re-contact them to clarify.

If it were a small tweak then I would have shoes off while he recovered. Other injuries may do better with the heel raised. I looked after one with an awful tendon injury who had a complete raised heel within the actual structure of the shoe, so the tendon area was relaxed. It was gradually lowered (over a period of many months) and the horse made a rather miraculous recovery, back to the level of work he was at before (not top competition).