tendon injury/shoes

JoshuaR97

Visit site
Horse has been injuried since start of the year and now is slightly lame. We are giving him till Spring to see how he progresses. He is currently in egg bar shoes but I got told by another vet to make him barefoot so not sure whether to go barefoot or fit him with egg bars? Opinions?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Horse has been injuried since start of the year and now is slightly lame. We are giving him till Spring to see how he progresses. He is currently in egg bar shoes but I got told by another vet to make him barefoot so not sure whether to go barefoot or fit him with egg bars? Opinions?

My horse had a tendon injury nearly three years ago, we took the back ones off but left fronts on.

amage

Visit site
Was the second vet doing a work up to give a second opinion and have they seen all scans etc? I would be slow to listen if they just said in passing oh take the shoes off. What rehab have you been doing for the tendon?

JoshuaR97

Visit site
Was the second vet doing a work up to give a second opinion and have they seen all scans etc? I would be slow to listen if they just said in passing oh take the shoes off. What rehab have you been doing for the tendon?

He was just giving vaccine so gave his opinion. Well he's just been having rest and just been shod with egg bars. Started icing his legs but the boots I have don't really do much or seem to do much so given up

Auslander

Visit site
I'd be taking advice form the vet who is treating the problem - although I do take shoes off a box resting horse unless there is a compelling reason not to.
When you say icing isn't working - what do you mean? It's really important to cool the injured area during the initial inflammatory stage, so giving up because it doesn't seem to be working isn't a very smart idea.

JoshuaR97

Visit site
I'd be taking advice form the vet who is treating the problem - although I do take shoes off a box resting horse unless there is a compelling reason not to.
When you say icing isn't working - what do you mean? It's really important to cool the injured area during the initial inflammatory stage, so giving up because it doesn't seem to be working isn't a very smart idea.

The boots are frozen but when I take them off his leg isn't very cold?

be positive

Visit site
This is a horse with a tendon injury plus possibly further problems with his coffin joint all within his foot, icing his leg will be having no affect, from previous threads you still have little understanding of what is going on, have had little help from your vets other than them offering to denerve, if you want to really help him you need to have a better understanding of what is going on within the injured foot, until then you are grasping at straws and the horse will have less chance of a full recovery.
The suggestion of going barefoot is likely to be the best way forward, if I were you I would speak again to this vet and ask him to go through everything in detail, to explain the injuries, to help you make a decision as to treatment and advise on the prognosis, you need a vet involved who will work with you in the horses best interests not give up when you decide not to denerve.

Your last thread on the subject
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?709654-Deep-Flex-Tendon-Injury

Auslander

Visit site
OP. I think you need to have a conversation with your vets. Ask them to explain exactly what the injury is, where it is located, what your treatment options are, and why they want to denerve, rather than treating it more conservatively. If the horse is still lame, the issue is not being dealt with correctly - and this either means that a change of management is required, or a change of vet. You are looking at having a horse that will not work again if a decent treatment plan isn't implemented before it's too late

WindyStacks

Visit site
It's October - your horse has been in eggbar shoes for 6+ months and is still lame.

What do you have to lose by trying a barefoot route? (Research it properly - diet + movement).

Use logic. On which planet will a pound of metal dangled off a sore tendon help?

Visit site
I would never in a million years ride a horse that has been deserved! Jeebers! That's just plain stupid! If the horse can't feel the broken bit its not going to feel when it breaks even more potentially throwing you and seriously injuring you!

I have seen a denevered horse break a leg and continue trying to gallop as they couldn't feel that anything was wrong - he was denerved from the knee down. This horse was the ending of Howard Johnson's training career!

Goldenstar

Visit site
The boots are frozen but when I take them off his leg isn't very cold?

How long are you leaving them on ?
You have to remove them before the horses natural heat starts to make them warm or they will have the opposite effect .
I always use bonner banages we keep them in a cool box outside the stable fill with ice and a little water first thing every morning and we ice twenty minutes in hour all day in the evening I go out every couple of hours and leave them on twenty minutes till bed time .
I would be very worried that the horse is still lame after so long IME even severe injuries come sound in walk quite quickly .
I would be wanting the leg rescanned pdq so you can see what's going on .