tendon injurys

deja224

Visit site
hi im look for some advice of what care a pony with a tendon injury will be and what the long term care is all i no is the pony is 10 and hasnt been worked in 5 years and he had a slight tendon injury last year be greaful of some help!

hellybelly6

Visit site
It depends on what he has done.

My horse split his DDFT and I was advised light gentle regular exercise.

Generally, box rest for 2 weeks, walking out in hand x 2 a day, gradually increasing to allow t/o for an hour increasing up to 2 etc to half day than full day in a restricted area.

I also fed my horse tendoneaze from Global herbs and used magnotherapy boots. I was able to ride my horse in walk gradually increasing by 10 minutes a week from about 8-9 weeks post surgery.

Tendon injuries take between 12 and 18 months to heal.

lhotse

Visit site
If the injury is fully healed and the pony is sound, then I would start with roadwork, in walk. If you work on an uneven surface such as a field or a deep surface like a school, then that will put the tendon under more strain than a nice flat road. Ride at a walk for at least 4 weeks, starting off with 15 minutes and working up to 45. I fhe is still sound then you can introduce some short trots.This will strengthen up all his tendons and generally get his muscles toned up. You will then be able to start working him in the school/field and he will be less likely to re-injure himself.

deja224

Visit site
hes hasnt been ridden for 5 years even with the tendon injury will io be able to ride he them doesnt matter if not just be good for him i will get vet to look at him when i get him moved

deja224

Visit site
thank u bosworth bit more info i just been given

he was going mad around in his feild with another horse and when they brought him in he had heat and swelling in the leg when the vet came he said he had a mild tendon injury but no box rest followed? it seams he was given no real after care just put in a feild alone so he was quiet. this was a year ago he is balanced and sound.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
thoughts on tendon recuperation have changed - my boy was on box rest - until his previous owners contacted Tendon works who advise no box rest - keep moving but not exercising - so turning him away quietly was the best thing to do. I would say if he is sound - then bring him back in to work - but slowly - lots of walking on good ground - I did about 2 months of just walk - then added in trot. i took about 6 months to get mine into work and his was a serious tendon injury. he is completely sound, very fit - has started show jumping and XC training and totally sound. i have been told by 2 very respected vets that his leg is stronger than it ever was.