Tenessee Walking Horse cruelty

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I haven't watched the video, but it's a national scandal in the US. Apparently, in 2006, I think,
at their big national show, all the horses were going to be examined for soring before they could be exhibited. Virtually every entrant pulled out, and we're talking numbers in the hundreds. These people are a sub-culture of scum.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Disgusting. It is not the only place where the Americans are cruel though. Rodeos, Arab showing...

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
This video is now 4 yrs old. It is the worst cruelty, does anyone have any info that is current?

dominobrown

Visit site
There will be someone come on here telling us all that is not cruel, its the breed, how things are done, how thing have always been done, tradition, you get the picture.
The way of going of these horses (which is partly due to its breeding yes) is exaggerated to a point when no way can any of those horses can be comfortable. If they knew (or cared) about the bio-mechanics of the horse, sitting where they do and the head carriage etc they would know how un-nautrual it is.

amandap

Visit site
All for money I'm assuming? Amazing what people get away with.
Isn't it just.

Soring etc. is illegal but money and prestige will always win out where humans are concerned.

There are many (traditional) practices in UK and Europe not far behind...

Enfys

Visit site
Disgusting. It is not the only place where the Americans are cruel though. Rodeos, Arab showing...

Sorry Wagtail :eek: but that is tarring an entire equestrian nation with one brush :( A bit like saying all Brits are .... well, whatever it is that Brits are supposed to be :confused:

The Arabian showing world, and not just Arabians, is just as bad in the UK and Europe. Not only have I heard the rumours, I have seen the fact (yes, on British showgrounds, darkened stables, whip shy horses, weighted shoes, gingering...it happens)

Rodeos, yes there are bad ones, of course. Government sponsored prison ones are astonishingly awful surprisingly enough.
ORA and RAM the two organisations that my Boarders' horses compete in (and win, one won the Breakaway Roping Finals with a 2.3 run) are very strictly controlled. I love rodeo and everything that goes with it, but I am not blind and would make a great deal of noise about cruelty if I saw it.

The Walking Horse thing, well yes, it looks frightful, money talks sadly, the atrocities still continue despite so much publicity and work towards regulating it. Shame that PETA can't put their money where their mouth is and throw their not inconsiderable weight behind something that really needs sorting out, but they never will because they think horse riding should be banned.

JingleTingle

Visit site
The link to the blogspot is a very good indicator of where the USA is with this at this moment in time. It is still far too little far too late IMO.

But I have to say I have many friends in the States with TWHs and they would no more dream of abusing their beautiful horses in this way than fly to the moon. A lot of them are very active in attempting to end this cruelty and suffering, but it is a very big money 'sport' and sadly big money talks in almost every corner of the world, not just America.:mad:

devonlass

Visit site
That is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous and unattractive looking spectacle I have ever seen involving horses.Why on earth would anyone even want their horse to do that,let alone risk charges of cruelty and their animals health for it??!!

Absolutely mind boggling and disgraceful.Why don't they just ban the chains and shoe things on their feet altogether??.Would at least reduce the risk of extra aggrevation to the skin and would make it less easy to hide this barbaric soring practice.

It never ceases to amaze me how little regard some people have for their animals well being in comparison to their own shallow ambition.

Parker79

Visit site
How disgusting - I didn't know about this...some people are utterly disgusting! I know its a different subject...but I fail to believe that I could ever be convinced that a Rodeo is not cruel...animals stressed to the max....I know some of it is skillful riding..such as barrel racing...but the 'breaking' or calf roping etc etc...you will never convince me.

amandap

Visit site
They start them young too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuqN9n4RF4Y

censored.gif

ps. As has been pointed out most TWH owners are fighting to get this stopped. The worst offenders are known as Big Lick.

Last edited by a moderator:

EAST KENT

Visit site
Never mind the appalling pain in the front end..they are bringing their hindquarters as far forward as possible to relieve the front pain.Just as a laminitic pony will do in the field..except we do not ask it to work.Dreadful cruelty,amazed it is allowed at all.
Sometimes I wonder whatever possesses people to go to these extremes.

FionaM12

Visit site
Sorry Wagtail :eek: but that is tarring an entire equestrian nation with one brush :(

I'm not sure I agree. Wagtail said "It is not the only place where the Americans are cruel though" and gave some examples. That's not quite the same as saying all American equestrians are cruel, IMO.

Oberon

Visit site
I had a rant about this in Jan :(

The TWH society are making a show of getting on top of soring. But the funding is low and the number of inspectors is a handful to the whole of the US :(

Interesting there isn't the funding for more inspectors - yet there is plenty to go for prize money
think.gif

Inspectors pic up on practices like hollowing the hoof pads and filling them with nails to make the horse more elevated
cry2.gif
radiographypaddedhoof2.jpg

Beside soring - the tragedy of what is happening to these poor horse's hooves hits me personally
shakehead.gif

If anyone doubts the effect that hoof pain has on body pain and vice versa - should cop a load of this pic.
biglickhorse.jpg

That is a horse in misery :(

Enfys

Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaM12
I'm not sure I agree. Wagtail said "It is not the only place where the Americans are cruel though" and gave some examples. That's not quite the same as saying all American equestrians are cruel, IMO.

You are right Fiona.

... and I agreed, and then gave examples where the British are what could be seen as cruel also, no one is perfect.

I am not condoning the soring practices at all, just saying that the British aren't as pure white as they'd like to be seen as - hmmm, who was it that had a whacking great hand in the slave trade pot? Oh yes, the good old Brits :(

devonlass

Visit site
Inspectors pic up on practices like hollowing the hoof pads and filling them with nails to make the horse more elevated
cry2.gif
radiographypaddedhoof2.jpg

Please tell me that isn't genuine,and that it doesn't work how I think it works,good lord words fail me.

I hope someone strung up the person that the horse in question belongs to:mad:

I am not a violent person,but I could quite easily make an exception for some of the people involved in this barbaric practice.