tennis balls

Shavings

Visit site
so last night at 8 pm i noticed this (see photo)

poor chance his sheath has swollen and looks like there are 2 tennis balls in there

he ate his dinner no argument (as per normal) just had a roll in the sand pit before tucking in to his hay net

other then the swelling he is behaving normal, eating drinking, and refusing any one to touch that area (no one has been able to touch it since i brought him 18 month ago) so i always worked on the basis just to leave well enough alone

but looks like it needs some attention so vet today at 3pm

this morning it was noted he was very comfortable weeing although he had weed though the night

is it bad a little part of me hope he doesn't require regular cleaning, i am not a wimp i will do it and have done for other geldings, but chance well i like my head attached to my neck!

chance belly.jpg

be positive

Visit site
I think getting the vet is your best option, it looks to me as if the leg is also filled which suggests there is something more going on than it just needing a clean.

Shavings

Visit site
it didnt really have the out come i expected i be honest

vet came sedated him (we cant get near poorly/well) with out

had a good look and found some lesions, and said it could possibly be cancer, she gave him a deep clean, well as much as he would allow her although sedated he wouldn't "drop"
and antibiotics + pain killers til Tuesday, when she return and if she still finds the lesions she will take a sample for the lab

he has done down in since massively, and clearly feeling better about him self as he has climbed out of the field twice since!

he isnt taking kindly to having it cold hosed (who would!?) so husband is holding his i hose which is a massive help.

I am hoping with all my being that the vet is wrong, he is quiet sensitive on the skin on his nose, i cant use flita back , udder cream or even some sun creams on his nose other wise he comes up in what i can only describe as a "chemical burn" style rash on his nose, so i am hoping some thing has gone in to his sheath and made the lesions rather then the C word, not sure i am ready to face that, the fact that if it was and the vet advised operation means he has to do a 4 hour ferry journey is playing in my mind, but we will see

Moogleberry

Visit site
it didnt really have the out come i expected i be honest

vet came sedated him (we cant get near poorly/well) with out

had a good look and found some lesions, and said it could possibly be cancer, she gave him a deep clean, well as much as he would allow her although sedated he wouldn't "drop"
and antibiotics + pain killers til Tuesday, when she return and if she still finds the lesions she will take a sample for the lab

he has done down in since massively, and clearly feeling better about him self as he has climbed out of the field twice since!

he isnt taking kindly to having it cold hosed (who would!?) so husband is holding his i hose which is a massive help.

I am hoping with all my being that the vet is wrong, he is quiet sensitive on the skin on his nose, i cant use flita back , udder cream or even some sun creams on his nose other wise he comes up in what i can only describe as a "chemical burn" style rash on his nose, so i am hoping some thing has gone in to his sheath and made the lesions rather then the C word, not sure i am ready to face that, the fact that if it was and the vet advised operation means he has to do a 4 hour ferry journey is playing in my mind, but we will see

So sorry to read this, I hope the outlook is brighter when you see the vet again

As an aside my lad who like yours is very sensitive and also reacts badly to filtabac getting exactly the same chemical burn type reaction had a terribly swollen sheath in the summer, vet thought it was a bad reaction to an insect bite and I had to cold hose etc. Took ages to go down so hoping yours has reacted in some way to something xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ooo that must have been a shock. Just bear in mind that vets always give the worst case scenario but that isn't always the diagnosis. Fingers crossed for the best outcome possible.

NeverSurrender

Visit site
I'll keep everything crossed for you. Two geldings at the yard have recently had the same thing (one being mine) - no other issues except the swollen sheath. Both were monitored as we knew they were clean etc and both went down within a few days!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Have you see my thread? The vet advised no cold hosing, walk instead or turn out. Moving should help to dissipate any fluid. Mine is not keen on having his bits fiddled with either. Outside is fine and brings about grooming, inside=no way, José!

Shavings

Visit site
So a little update for any one interested, he hates hates HATES! the cream, even an attempt to put it up there results in cow kicking, tail swishing and teeth chopping, the vet was aware this may be the case!

cold hosing he isnt enjoying but takes it as long as he can eat the scraps of grass growing in between the concrete!

and last night he had 20 mins on the lunge, little stiff to the left but like i said above he has let him self out of the field twice last week so i am guessing thats some thing to do with that, physio is coming to see him next week

Sheath appears to have gone back to normal size, last night he went to have a wee so i bolting in to the stable to his horror and starred at him (he was mortified!) and couldn't see any of the lesions that where there when vet came, and she did show me them so i know what i am looking for.

Vet is coming Tuesday at 2pm to see him again so will know what she wants to do then, but given how good he is now i think the C word is not likely.. or maybe thats just me refusing to admit it is that?