Tense in the canter! Help!

umcomfortable

New User
Visit site
I've recently changed riding school after many years. My confidence has dropped massively and it's begun to affect my seat.

I'm not confident on the new horses I am being put on, and it makes me tense and nervous when cantering. I end up gripping with the knees, with my shoulders and arms tense, which causes me to lean forward and I eventually end up in a light seat so I'm not bouncing around on the horse's back. I feel "locked up" all over. My instructor has been confusing me, asking me to relax, and when I force my body to relax I am told I'm too relaxed and a backseat rider. I just can't find the middle ground.

I've been riding for over a decade, and have done some wonderful things on the horses at the previous yard and never had any problems there. I feel embarrassed by my shocking lack of ability at this new yard.

What are some exercises or tips that can help me achieve that perfect seat?

be positive

Visit site
I would want to know why you are not confident in the new RS, after 10 years of lessons I would expect you to be competent riding the average RS horse and if you had been doing more ambitious riding for your seat to be well enough established to cope with a change to riding something that is maybe not the best schooled or a bit tricky, the issue is probably that you don't trust the instructor as much as the horses being the problem, this is then causing you to be less confident and it is having the negative effect on your position.

If returning to the old yard is not possible maybe look around and try a few other places as it may be the quality of the teaching is not good for you or that the horses really are tricky and somewhere else may be better.

As for the perfect seat, we would all like the answer to finding that, some lunge lessons would help or a few sessions on a mechanical horse but the key really is a good clear instructor who does not confuse you in the lessons and regaining your lost confidence, you cannot force yourself to relax that will come when you feel secure and genuinely able to relax, I would probably not have you cantering for a few lessons until you are feeling more confident, some work in walk and trot building up to doing more rather than pushing you before you are ready.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I could easily be the same as you if I changed riding schools and instructor. Be Positive’s advice is good, I’d do lunging, walking and trotting until I felt relaxed and comfortable. I wouldn’t see it as going back steps, but more a way of reasserting my confidence. Good luck!

HEM

Visit site
I recently had to change riding instructors and the first instructor I tried made me feel like the biggest numpty! I think she was a good instructor but we obviously just didn't click so I found a new instructor who I have been with for about a month now and love her! She is really knowledgeable but the best thing is I feel I can talk to her! I ask some probably very silly questions but she always explains things carefully and makes sure I understand.

I would first try talking to the instructor and explaining how you feel and asking for more clarity in how to 'relax' but I do agree you probably need to take a step down (not back, just down a gear) get to know your instructor and the horse you are riding even if that is just in walk!

If you are still struggling with the school/instructor there's no reason you should stay! Try somewhere else and if the grass isn't greener go back!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Advice you've already been given is good. I have had lots of different instructors at riding schools and freelance instructors that have come to my yard, the one I have now I just clicked with. She is just the right level of firm but understanding and really takes my pony (and her quirks) into consideration. An instructor might be great but if they don't suit your personality or style of riding then it's not going to work. There is no harm in moving around! Alternatively maybe speak to your instructor before the lesson? She may not know how nervous you are feeling and may alter her style once she knows.

As for the canter, breathe! I had a bad fall and got very nervous cantering, my instructor would shout breathe to me every few strides and it really helped me concentrate on my breathing and less on what I was doing and I immediately sat the canter better. Before I even got to cantering again I did a lot of work in walk and trot with/without stirrups and over poles etc so that I had more confidence in my seat and knew that when I did canter my seat was developed enough to keep me safe.

melbournesunrise

Visit site
I have to say, I used to hold my breath when I was cantering, which I never realised I was doing until I'd finished and had to let it all out! One thing that helped me was singing - just very quietly - to myself and the horse when I knew I was getting a bit worried. I did it today out hacking, knowing that my gelding would want to gallop up a hill that is currently very muddy, slippery and covered in tree roots! By singing (complete nonsense, I might add), I was able to be relaxed enough to communicate with him, and we managed to negotiate a pace we were both happy with. Might help when you're actually riding, no matter if you change instructors or schools again...

View

Visit site
If I need to get someone to relax in canter, I get them singing Nelly the Elephant, and I join in. If necessary I pop the horse on the lunge line for 10 minutes or so until we are through the issue.