Terrible Mum...

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
Ok, so the GSD's that I took on a week ago are doing really well. They have grown loads and have really livened up. Anyway I was putting them all out yesterday morning to go to the loo and I trod on one of the little blighters.

So I'm feeling really bad and then even more so when I realise that he doesn't want to put his leg on the floor. So I picked him up and gave him a cuddle till he stopped crying, and popped him on the floor. He was still holding his leg up - right from the hip.

So I kept hold of him for a bit longer and then put him on the floor inside and slowly slowly he started to use the leg again.

Now, I know that hips are one of the weaker areas of a big dog and I am now worrying that there might be some long term damage. The REALLY bad thing is that I can't tell which puppy it was I trod on - there are 2 that look identical. My Mum thinks one of them still looks weak behind, but to be honest they are 5 weeks old - they all look wobbly behind.

So - do I leave him and see how it goes - there is no sign of any pain and I can move both puppies back legs fine. OR do I call my vet? Or do I phone my mctimoney chiropractor who does my horses as she also does dogs and breeds border collies?

Ideas please....

MurphysMinder

Visit site
If you can't see one which is obviously lame then I wouldn't worry too much. I have trodden on young pups before now
blush.gif
, and although they make a terrible fuss at the time it is usually forgotten with a cuddle. As you say 5 week old pups look a bit wobbly on their legs anyhow. Just keep an eye on things and if you do think he is lame maybe a quick visit to the vet. Glad they are doing well, have you got any piccies of them ?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I'd be a little bit worried that it took some time before he started using it, but how long did you hold him? Are we talking a minute or two, or are we talking ten minutes and he still wouldn't use it so you picked him up again?
Statistically I'd say 99% of the puppies that gets stepped on doesn't get any permanent/need vet to get it fixed-damage from it, but that still leaves 1% that does, and though I wish I could help, only you can decide.

What I can tell you, is that I felt really guilty the two times it happened to me, when my Jonna had a litter this summer, and I accidently stept on something attached to a puppy ( though at least one of the times it was more like, puppy comes running from one side, and doesn't notice my foot being 4 cm from the floor and going downward, and me trying to avoid stepping on the two ones running in the other direction towards my feet... ).

But I'm obviously a much more Terrible mum than you
blush.gif
, because I only used an as dashing voice as possible and told them things like "Oh, good girl/boy, you'll get over it", "Oh, well that's exacly what I intended to happen, so get over it, I know best!" or similar. While making a visual check that nothing was dangling or bleeding, and tried to make sure they had some space to calm down ( = not being run over by siblings ).

Then I walked a little bit away from them and had a temporary mental breakdown, being convinced I'd caused some permanent damage...

Hope everything is well with your puppy, from Sweden.
smile.gif

CAYLA

Visit site
As MM, suggests, if u cannot tell which pup, I would not worry, it's a very common incident, puppy trodding
grin.gif
, if you had broken foot or done any long term damage
grin.gif
, he would not be weight baring at all, don't beat yourself up, I would squeal if u trod on my foot
tongue.gif