Tesco - is it curtains for tack shops?

sorona

Visit site
Didint think the rugs were prticularly cheap. I would be concerned buying stuff like that from Tesco as I'd be worreid about the quality of the thing. Think they should stick to head collars and lead ropes and other little things unless theyc an offer something significantly cheaper than elsewhere or something that really stands out.

frannieuk

Visit site
I certainly won't be buying rugs - they only seem to go up to 6'6"! And joking aside, I would rather support my local tack shops, get far more in advice, friendship and support there than I would at Tesco's!

parsley

Visit site
My local tack shop sells brands I know (OK its things like Rhinegold) and English leather tack for cheaper prices. I wouldn't buy stuff like that from there and not on line - I would want to feel the quality first
grin.gif

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I am sure the tack shops will worry but to be honest I didnt think the Tesco stuff was that cheap. For rugs I always go for tried and tested brands with a good cut that I know fit my horses properly. As for the bridlework, you can pick up Heritage and Rhinegold off ebay for about the same money.

AG18

Visit site
My mum is manager of a small local tack shop. Someone phoned up saying that had bought their daughter a hat in tesco, but the riding school said it wasn't up to standard! How can they be selling things that don't comply with regultations? Stay away from tesco and support the saddlery industry, or we'll all be wanting their advice when they're gone.

johnsongreyhorse

Visit site
But their hats are " BSEN1384 and Kite mark make this hat suitable for all general riding and permissable at Pony Club and British Show Jumping events" - taken from website - so should be ok

Do agree would have to wait till things reduced to half price - but then the sizes I want will be all gone anyway
frown.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Well as none of it goes over about 6ft 6 then no rugs for my horse - the only one I would be interested in is the quilted fleece but that does not go above 6ft. Its stupid most horses are above 6ft.
I do not think it looks good value especially for something unproven.

Blizzard

Visit site
I think the Tesco horse range is geared toards the weekend rider or novice-y types, I certainly wouldnt buy from there and I would bet the only peeps you would see doing so are the girls in their sparkly pristine white jods and shiny boots, not the caked in poo horse owners like ourselves!

Ive heard nothing but bad things about the range, for example a rug that you have to pur on OVER the horses head?! Rubbish quality things etc etc

CastleMouse

Visit site
They aren't very cheap at all for anything, not sure about the quality either. I'd highly recommend Decathlon if you're looking for cheap horsey stuff, and the quality is very good too!

Horseymum

Visit site
I've had a look out of interest and if it is in the stores will probably look there too. Will I buy from them? Of course not, didn't last time and won't this - will go to the local tack shop as usual!

dieseldog

Visit site
I wouldn't pay £80 for a NZ when you don't know anything about the make. I would rather pay a bit more for a name which you know is OK. The rest of the stuff isn't cheap - how much is postage?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I wouldnt buy stuff like that from Tesco's. Maybe a pair of gloves or something but nothing for the horse as I cant imagine it would fit very well!

I think ALL proper tack shops are having problems though due to online shops. I mainly buy my stuff online purely because it is cheaper and you can find the best deal. A shame, but then horses are so expensive we want the best deal!

juliehannah58

Visit site
Just have to say that my mum picked me up a fleece rug from tescos with her shopping (bless her!) and it is FAB! It's much better quality than the other fleece rugs I have, better than Masta and Equenox ones. It has all the little extras like nylon inserts on shoulders and pleats etc. I'm so impressed with it I would exhange my other expensive fleeces for a tesco one in a shot!

piaffe

Visit site
I wasnt very impressed with the tesco range. I bought a few items (no, im not a weekend rider or a novicey rider
mad.gif
) because the tack shops around us are limted and not great.

I wouldnt buy anything else i dont think. I dont think its cheaper and the colours are so plain and basic. Everything is blooming navy with red. Argh!
mad.gif
Give me Ebay any day!

spike123

Visit site
I think some of the things on their site are pretty good value but not all.The rugs are expensive but would definitely like to see them in store to get an idea of what they are really like quality wise. I wasn't impressed with the hats or boots when they had them in store and didn't buy anything but I love the idea of doing my weekly shop and being able to stock up on the equestrian goods at the same time.

juliehannah58

Visit site
The colours are not great I agree!

But the only thing I got was the fleece rug my mum picked up, think it was in the half price sale so was only about £12 and I'm made up with the quality of it. My equenox one cost about £32 and it's outlasted that.....
smile.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've not seen any of their stuff yet. I would imagine though that if Tesco put their name to something it would be of suitable quality. They are the largest retailer in the country & I doubt if they would be involved in shoddy stuff......just a thought.

debbielinder

Visit site
i got a fleece rug from there and its still going my horse has a habbit of recking them and so far its in one piece wouldnt have said it was overly cheap but as tescos is 5 mins away from me and robinsons and derby house both just over half an hour its handy to have. and i do think the prices of some equestrian stuff is ridiculous

TequilaMist

Visit site
I have fleece rug and lightweight turn out.Fleece is ok,turnout rug is a 6' on a normally 5'9 pony so would say they may be small sizes but ok for what I paid(got them when they were cheap as well).Also have the fly sheet and neck but haven't tried these as yet.Has anyone else tried the fly sheets?
Agree rugs are a bit pricey for getting at Tesco so for major rug purchases would probably stick to well proven brands.