Tesco - is it curtains for tack shops?

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
No I don't think so. As one of the many horse owners that manages on a budget it is a welcome relief to have another source of cheaper things. However this new range doesn't seem to be so cheap
confused.gif
I got the fleece rug in the summer for £9 and it fits Spring really well and is really deep with a satin shoulder protector sewn in - not bad for less than a tenner! I still support my local tack shops as I still have to buy feed etc. But mail order and internet sites get my money mostly as I can shop around for exactly what I want for the best price. Tack shops IMO should e prepared to stock a range of products to suit all pockets and whilst this is not feasible for smaller shops, it certainly pays to be competitive.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Didn't think they were very cheap and not much choice for size, especially when you need 7ft3 rugs, but agree there may be bargains to be had if they reduce them in the sale and theres a rug size to suit.

rach1984horse

Visit site
Got some handy bits and pieces last time they reduced things, but would be waiting until things go way down in price. Can't really go wrong with a space fleece rug etc, but would be wary of spending a lot on turn out rugs or bridles.

My little sister works in tesco. Just came home tonight with bags of free stuff from hardware/household department that they were told to take or bin. Will never need to buy another sponge again as she got about 50.

Here's hoping the same happens with the horse stuff eventually.

Rachel_M

Visit site
The smaller items are well priced, IMO, and I wouldn't worry over quality as we are talking about Tesco's here........now if it was SPAR that tried to sell equestrian gear.........
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

Bex7

Visit site
I think the key issue with the TESCO range is that it is neither cheap (Lidl style) or band named along with limited sizes and product range. I was very disapointed with the initial launch and didn't purchase anything until I stumbles across 2 pairs of jods in my size amoungst the general clothing sale for £4.25 each.

I will stick to the tack shop and online stores......

Sal_E

Visit site
I think it's really depressing actually
frown.gif
If there's impact on the tackshops there's impact on the manufacturers - that's a lot of people that can be affected by the greedy supermarkets.

Tescos will never offer the personal service, the special ordering of specific items, it won't have a stock of show schedules or a full notice-board nor will it have a wide variety of names & brands to compare & chose from.

The day tackshops are affected by supermarkets is a sad day in my mind & won't benefit anyone, including ultimately, the horse owner.

Oh, and would I be prepared to wear jods with a 'tescos' label in, or dress my horse in their rugs - no, not in a million years! I'm a snob & proud of it

L

lilym

i don't think so. we have to face it horsey people like thier labels, i can't see everyone rushing out to get tesco's label rugs!! my local store flopped with the horsey stuff, and sold it all offf for silly prices, i got a couple of lw turnouts for a fiver each!! ideal as spares, although the fit is a little odd, but they stay dry in them, but i wouldn't of bought them at full price which was £35........the stuff on the website isn't that cheap, you can get a full neck combo from derby house's own label for £50, or a weatherbeeta for the same price as tesco's i would buy the WB as i know they are good quality.