Test sheet de-mystifying

DressageCob

Visit site
I got a "maybe you should try eventing" after my horse pinged out of the arena on my first prelim attempt ?

I also like the subtle hints you get from judges sometimes.

"Irregular footfalls" = lame
"unstable contact" = you're socking him in the teeth
"could have more cadence" = your horse is dragging its feet

I jest, of course

Roxylola

Visit site
We had "got a bit h_____d towards the end and on the forehand" today. Now, it was part of a lovely positive comment, and I cannot argue with it either way, but I am not sure if it's hurried (more polite and perhaps likely) or horrid ? either way its true

Cob Life

Visit site
Not a dressage judge but I did have a (horsey)neighbours comment “he moves nicely you just need to get him to relax” over the fence as i am on blue who has decided he is no longer a cob but some sort of llama/racehorse/dragon combination :rolleyes: Like no sh*t Sherlock!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My favourite was 'two lovely one time changes unfortunately not required at this level' - in a Prelim ?

I can't remember if it was me or someone else who got 'circle too round', which was presumably a writer error for 'too' instead of 'not', but very funny to read.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Ok experienced writer and trainee dressage judge hat on. BD are very "strict" about what you can put on a sheet. Sadly it seems PC gone mad ,you are not allowed to teach ie some one who's hands are all over the place you are not allowed to say the obvious like keep hands steadier for better contact. Someone who is slumped forwards would be helped by "sit up straighter to help horse off forehand", you have to say on forehand or not from behind. Some of the older higher up judges are not afraid to put properly helpful "teaching" comments. You also are expected to start the comments with a positive comment which sometimes can be a challenge!!Sadly in this day and age where sheets regularly get posted on FB or other social media platforms judges get publicly torn apart and people are very quick to complain to BD. Tactfully ridden acknowledges the Judge has sympathy with someone sitting on a psycho/ unexploded bomb... better than saying tense today.
I have attended many judge training sessions and it is demoralising trying to produce a helpful sheet with a limited vocabulary.........
I have decided to keep training for my education as I have to pay for it but I am not going to take the exams but will continue to write.

OP Well matched partnership means just that - you look good together, you were not arguing with each other and it was a nice "picture" to see. It was a compliment!!

That's a big shame. I used to find the judge's comments generally really helpful. I knew where my problems were, but there was often a helpful little comment.

BritishLion

Visit site
Last weekend in the comments I got 'such a pity he didn't show me his walk'. The pony in question does not have a good walk but mum and I were beaming as for the first time he had really stretched and done what we thought was an ok job of his worst movement :)