Tetanus vaccination- how often?

K27

Visit site
This is prob silly q of the day -but I can't remember how often they have to be vaccinated for Tetanus- looking at my horses vet cards/passports it looks like the vets have given this every year in the past - this year a different vet has come out and vaccinated for flu only- which is fine by me and of course they know what they are doing but i'd just like to check- many thanks!

ImogenBurrows

Visit site
Hi

It depends what vaccine brand your vets are using.

The primary course consists of two vaccines at 4-6week interval, then the first booster is one year later.

Most manufacturers recommend revaccinating at two year intervals (hence alternating flu/flu and tet etc); although the Schering-Plough vaccine Equip T only needs three yearly boosters.

HTH
Imogen

K27

Visit site
Hi

It depends what vaccine brand your vets are using.

The primary course consists of two vaccines at 4-6week interval, then the first booster is one year later.

Most manufacturers recommend revaccinating at two year intervals (hence alternating flu/flu and tet etc); although the Schering-Plough vaccine Equip T only needs three yearly boosters.

HTH
Imogen

Hi Imogen

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my q!- In the past it's mainly all been Duvaxyn, and this time it was Merial *I think*

So next year I'll make sure they get the Tetanus then!

Thanks - thats good to know- I wasn't doubting my vet at all as you all know your stuff! I was just being curious!

Mike007

Visit site
My understanding ,and I stand by to be proved wrong is that the Tet vac is effective for up to ten years but I wouldnt risk it. As Imogen says its not detrimental to have more frequent top ups.