Thank god for my hat!!!

jsr

Visit site
That is awful!! So glad you are mending and it could have been so much worse! I cannot understand why anyone would get on a horse without a hat and your accident confirms my views. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Heard on the other thread you'd fallen... found this thread and can't believe how serious it was, you poor thing! I'm glad to hear that you and Vel are both okay, although obviously you went through a lot of pain and have a road to go to getting better. I hope it's as smooth and swift a recovery as possible! Thanks heavens for hats, hey? I wish more people wore them, and wore them with properly adjusted straps! ('Role models' like Ellen Whittaker and Ralf Goren-Bengston drive me nuts over this particularly, and nearly ever profression who takes their hat off as soon as they've done their last jump). They can save lives, necks, heads and seemingly faces too!

Best of luck with the thanks yous to Champion!

Last edited:

spider

community.webshots.com
Had a fall with same model of hat and the peak had just sort of crumpled, but my face was uninjured so I think a peak does provide protection but they obviously make them so that they do give way. Years ago I fell on my face wearing an old fashioned velvet hat with a peak and the peak just stuck into the ground so that I couldn't get up! Hope your recovery goes well.

friesian80

Visit site
Had a fall with same model of hat and the peak had just sort of crumpled, but my face was uninjured so I think a peak does provide protection but they obviously make them so that they do give way. Years ago I fell on my face wearing an old fashioned velvet hat with a peak and the peak just stuck into the ground so that I couldn't get up! Hope your recovery goes well.

My daughter had this hat
http://www.troxelhelmets.com/products/legacy-golde
(might have been the older model)

She had a fall (about 5 years ago) onto her face and the fixed peak snapped off, so the peak had taken the impact but was not totally fixed as to cause her neck damage

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a similar fall to yours, last year, wearing the same make of hat. At the time I was very cross because because I'd had it less than a month and had only worn it a few times. When I was thinking straight again, I was really glad that I hadn't been wearing my old hat as the new one saved me from serious injury, I replaced it with one exactly the same.
I was wearing a Mountain Horse Bodyguard jacket and was relatively uninjured apart from a few bruises.

friesian80

Visit site
I had a similar fall to yours, last year, wearing the same make of hat. At the time I was very cross because because I'd had it less than a month and had only worn it a few times. When I was thinking straight again, I was really glad that I hadn't been wearing my old hat as the new one saved me from serious injury, I replaced it with one exactly the same.
I was wearing a Mountain Horse Bodyguard jacket and was relatively uninjured apart from a few bruises.

Sounds like this make of hat has saved a few heads, ill definately be purchasing exactly the same one. Mine also was quite new, Id owned it 11 months but probably only ridden in it around 15-20 times.

I am also going to purchase one for my daughter her hat needs replacing as her head has gone up a size I think, her current one is getting too tight.

Mike007

Visit site
Bloodyhellfire and:eek::eek::eek:.Glad your ok. Glad horse is ok .(even if he did desert you:D.He probably would say he was going for help:rolleyes:.

friesian80

Visit site
Bloodyhellfire and:eek::eek::eek:.Glad your ok. Glad horse is ok .(even if he did desert you:D.He probably would say he was going for help:rolleyes:.

haha, that made me laugh! Im guessing he headed straight for the feed room, stomach often comes before anything else with him!!!!!!

ETA: resent my email to Champion and it seems to have gone through ok :)

gemin1eye

Visit site
I hope you have a speedy recovery, and I hope you can get replacements for your gear! Like someone else said, there's no harm in asking!

miss_bird

Visit site
Glad you are ok and all your injuries are fixable, so you are able to be back rinding by the summer.
I would never think of riding without a hat or body protector these day i find i dont bounce as well as i did when i was younger.
Hope you have some luck with replacment hat and jacket and glad horse all ok and no injuries to him as well for you to worry about

friesian80

Visit site
Afer emailing Ariat to explain what had happened and about my poor jacket ive just recieved an email back saying they will send me a new one out free of charge!

Am well made up, its made my sore bit feel less sore!!!!!

Seriously though im really really grateful to them for doing that!!!

jsr

Visit site
:D That's good news for a bad week then!! Good quality expensive clothing is worth it sometimes, you get good customer service into the price!! Well done Ariat.

friesian80

Visit site
My elbows were skint but the jacket did not rip, I know I was thrown on my back a good few feet and there wasnt a mark on the back just had lumps of tar stuck to it, defo invest in the best as far as riding gear goes, the jacket may had prevented me having even more injures :)

AshTay

Visit site
Blimey! Glad you're ok and have been able to share the experience on here to show the importance of wearing a hat. And a big pat on the back to Ariat for replacing the jacket!

Years ago I fell on my face wearing an old fashioned velvet hat with a peak and the peak just stuck into the ground so that I couldn't get up!

Sorry but that made me snort tea everywhere! lol!