Thanking drivers

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Which ones do you thank?
Obviously I always give a big smile hand and if their windows are open will call a thank you aswell to any driver that passes slow and wide.
Recently I’ve A. Found myself thanking drivers who actually, although they slowed still passes way to fast or close. Not a problem for me but for the next person on a nervous horse would be dangerous.

Or B. Not thanked for a very minimal effort and been abused for it “f’ing horses thinking they own the road” was one recently or rev and speed off, obviously annoyed at my not thanking them.

What do you do?

Allykat

Visit site
I try to thank as many as I can including some that probably haven't really done enough to earn the thanks. In my mind as a driver I think it's nice to be acknowledged. As a rider I will try to give off a pleasant and polite vibe to drivers in the hope that they may slow a little more for the next horse they meet.

I save the shaking head, arm gestures and mouthing of obscenities to those that really deserve it.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I usually thank anyone that’s made an effort in the hope that they’ll remember the warm fuzzy feeling of being thanked and next time try even harder.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I do thank any that slow down, however I do wonder why riders are expected to thank everyone for simply driving sensibly and following the highway code. Every other road user is not expected to constantly be thanking everyone that slows down.

cyclists and walkers dont.

I thank people in the hope it will encourage people to slow down as its taking your life in your hands to ride on the roads these days and I will do anything to make it safer.
It does seem unfair that we get accused of being snobbish etc if we dont thank everyone.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I used to thank everyone with varying degrees of sincerity. Now I no longer ride so I’m always the driver in the equation, and it really doesn’t sit well when I pass riders safely and don’t even get an acknowledgement. I totally understand how some drivers think riders are arrogant because some really are.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I do thank any that slow down, however I do wonder why riders are expected to thank everyone for simply driving sensibly and following the highway code. Every other road user is not expected to constantly be thanking everyone that slows down.

I agree in principle but I live in a very rural location, people are likely to pass me a lot and I'd rather they got better at it than worse. I also speak nicely to dog walkers, cyclists, children and ramblers (I am not so nice to other dog walkers when walking my dogs lol). It doesn't hurt to nod or wave-and generally we all thank each other when driving round here because of the single track roads :) of course there are also the tourists (ones that can't reverse).

Sandstone1

Visit site
I agree in principle but I live in a very rural location, people are likely to pass me a lot and I'd rather they got better at it than worse. I also speak nicely to dog walkers, cyclists, children and ramblers (I am not so nice to other dog walkers when walking my dogs lol). It doesn't hurt to nod or wave-and generally we all thank each other when driving round here because of the single track roads :) of course there are also the tourists (ones that can't reverse).

As I said I do thank drivers that slow down, I just find it odd that we seem to be the only road users that are expected to thank everyone.
Riders are often accused of being arrogant but the fact is that we are allowed to ride on the roads and drivers should be aware of how to pass safely.
I do wonder if riders thank those drivers that dont slow down it just encourages those drivers to continue driving too fast and close.

Lintel

Visit site
I thank everyone who makes a slight effort... so when going down the dual carriage way when drivers are being sensible is a nightmare - my right arm is up,down,up,down,up,down,....

Griffin

Visit site
I thank all drivers who make an effort (although I am more effusive to those who really do pass wide and slow). I will ask drivers to slow down if I think they are approaching too fast and, to be fair, most slow down. I have also written to companies and council services who have passed us safely and courteously because I think it will encourage them to keep doing so.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I thank everyone - when they fly past I hope that it makes them wonder what I am waving for ……………..
The scariest are older people who I can absolutely tell haven't seen me at all, at least the boy racers in their BMW's on the phone at 60mph have the thought to look guilty as I thank them.

I have on a number of occasions e-mailed large and small companies with a complaint about bad driving I never have reg numbers but location and time they can easily work it out (Asda delivery vans quite often) and I always get a very apologetic response and promise of remedial training. COmmercial companies are scared of bad PR (sadly probably more than accidents) so they take a moan quite seriously.

teddypops

Visit site

I thank people in the hope it will encourage people to slow down as its taking your life in your hands to ride on the roads these days and I will do anything to make it safer.
It does seem unfair that we get accused of being snobbish etc if we dont thank everyone.

Walkers do thank drivers around where I live and if I’m out dog walking, I also thank people who slow down and move out. It’s common courtesy.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I try to thank as many as I can including some that probably haven't really done enough to earn the thanks. In my mind as a driver I think it's nice to be acknowledged. As a rider I will try to give off a pleasant and polite vibe to drivers in the hope that they may slow a little more for the next horse they meet.

I save the shaking head, arm gestures and mouthing of obscenities to those that really deserve it.

Exactly this for me too.

Rollin

Visit site

This exactly. I always, wave smile thank considerate drivers. Never get a thanks, when I slow down and pass quietly the French Sunday morning cyclists and joggers. When yet another cyclist is killed or injured, Is there a campaign to blame the cyclist or that drivers should slow down? NO. In fact dash cameras show that cyclists can be the most abusive when cut up, but dare do that when you are on horse back and you are a 'snob', 'aggressive' 'unfriendly' or "No right to be on the bloody road". It is just like Women's suffrage, majority of riders who hack are women, SUSTAINS is dominated by men. Time to chain yourself to railings again or chuck yourself under a horse next week - Royal Ascot. Rant over.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Walkers do thank drivers around where I live and if I’m out dog walking, I also thank people who slow down and move out. It’s common courtesy.

Yes, as a walker I adopt the "get as far out of the way as possible if I'm on a narrow lane and smile and thank anyone who slows down/passes wide/doesn't shove me into the ditch" philosophy. And I glare at the ones who try to wipe me out. I see a lot of the same drivers out on the roads round here, and there's no doubt they are all being more considerate these days.

I would also thank other drivers when I'm in the car - why wouldn't you when it's just basic manners?

Indy

Visit site
I don't thank everyone, just those who have been considerate. Sometimes when someone has slowed down and I can see they've got their window open I don't bother lifting my hand but I do yell thank you as I go past. You can almost see their mild annoyance of "I've slowed down for her and she can't be bleddy bothered to say thank you" to "aww that was nice of her to acknowledge me"

I thank people who slow down when I'm walking my dog too - isn't it just common courtesy towards people who have thought about you?

I always thank people for slowing down when I'm walking my dog too

Visit site
We always thank drivers who slow down which the majority do. But when you are met with a 15 strong string of horses it's enough to make most people back off!

I have only emailed 2 companies over bad driving. Both apologised profusely and said They would send out a memo to all drivers to mind them of their manners. They have never been a bother since.

We did get the police involved with one boy racer who would frequently sit right on horses tails and then cannon past revving his engine with his stupidly loud exhaust and dump valve. He thought it was funny to scare the horses. The police went round and gave him an asbo. The father then came into The yard a few days later kicking off saying that 5 Irish lads were being abusive and walking 5 in a line across the road blocking all traffic. He scurried off when it was pointed out that we didn't have 5 horses leave the yard on a Sunday and we didn't have 5 lads working that day let alone employed 5 Irish ones! Not had a bother with them since either!

Indy

Visit site
As I said I do thank drivers that slow down, I just find it odd that we seem to be the only road users that are expected to thank everyone.
Riders are often accused of being arrogant but the fact is that we are allowed to ride on the roads and drivers should be aware of how to pass safely.
I do wonder if riders thank those drivers that dont slow down it just encourages those drivers to continue driving too fast and close.

I think this is true, I've had people drive past at 50 -60 waving like mad, I don't think they made the connection of you drive carefully round me and I'll say thank you for being considerate.

To be honest when I'm out driving I don't really expect any one using the road to say thank you for not killing me.

BBP

Visit site
I thank absolutely everyone, even those who drive like idiots, in the hope that they might view the next horse and rider they meet as a little more human. If a car comes racing past me and I was to scream obscenities and flip them the finger, I’m pretty sure they won’t treat the next one they meet any better. I also thank drivers when I’m walking or cycling if I know I have held them up (for those criticising cyclists who don’t thank people, I’d just say that when I’m cycling at speed on a bumpy road, my weight is forwards over my arms, it’s not easy to lift a hand and wave whilst still retaining full control. It’s also harder then when riding horses to keep checking over your shoulder for cars that might be waiting, and you can easily throw yourself off balance and cars come by fast so sometimes by the time you know they are there and think to thank them they have already zoomed past).

I did apologise to my electric fence this morning though, so I may be too nice?

angrybird1

Visit site
Why thank people for NOT slowing down??
Isn't that just giving out the message that it's ok to pass too fast and close?
If they get thanked for doing it wrong how are they to know it's wrong?

zaminda

Visit site
I thank those that slow down but ignore those that make no effort. I have rung companies before both to complain about drivers and also to say thank you. One bus passed me very well on one occasion and they were shocked when I rang to say thank you. I felt the driver deserved recognition especially as he avoided us all having an accident because of a numpty driver.

Mule

Visit site
We always thank drivers who slow down which the majority do. But when you are met with a 15 strong string of horses it's enough to make most people back off!

I have only emailed 2 companies over bad driving. Both apologised profusely and said They would send out a memo to all drivers to mind them of their manners. They have never been a bother since.

We did get the police involved with one boy racer who would frequently sit right on horses tails and then cannon past revving his engine with his stupidly loud exhaust and dump valve. He thought it was funny to scare the horses. The police went round and gave him an asbo. The father then came into The yard a few days later kicking off saying that 5 Irish lads were being abusive and walking 5 in a line across the road blocking all traffic. He scurried off when it was pointed out that we didn't have 5 horses leave the yard on a Sunday and we didn't have 5 lads working that day let alone employed 5 Irish ones! Not had a bother with them since either!

It really annoys me when parents do things like that. How are kids ever supposed to learn if parents constantly intervene on their behalf, particularly when they're in the wrong.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I wave & thank everyone with varying degrees of actual thanks through to total sarcasm.

I sat behind 2 cyclists today. Dad & little lad. Bendy country road with no passing places. I sat behind, well behind for a mile. Little lad was a bit wobbly & pedalling like heck to keep up with Dad.
Eventually got a passing place. Not one wave of thanks, not a smile, nothing.

Theocat

Visit site
I usually thank anyone that’s made an effort in the hope that they’ll remember the warm fuzzy feeling of being thanked and next time try even harder.

This.

And I also thank drivers who make an effort when I am out on my bicycle. It takes zero effort and I am helping the next rider or cyclist that driver passes.

Cowpony

Visit site
I find that if you thank people who are passing too fast, quite a lot will slow down. Not as much as you might want, but it's as if they suddenly feel guilty that you've thanked them when they didn't make an effort.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I try to thank as many people as possible- but I wouldn't thank someone who passes way to fast even if they had made a bit of effort to go wide around me, because I do think it gives the impression that they've done the right thing. If I signal to slow down and they do, I make a big show of thanking.

TBF I live in rural Cornwall and mostly only hack on single track lanes, so there's not much opportunity for drivers to pass me fast but wide.

I also try to be considerate in other ways, such as trotting on to a passing place if I know there is one coming up.

I do also thank drivers as a pedestrian if they've been considerate of me.

The worst and most dangerous behaviour I see (as a rider and a driver) tends to come from cyclists, unfortunately.