Thanking drivers

{97702}

Visit site
I thank every driver who has made an effort to change their driving in response to seeing me and my horse - even if they don't quite slow down/pass as wide as I would like

I also thank everyone who doesn't run me over when I'm out running, which is a LOT more hazardous than riding a horse :D

Dubsie

Visit site
Round here the horses are few and far between so all are polite and thank you.
It's the runners with the earphones on that annoy me when driving. They jog on oblivious to the fact that there are 15 driveways, one road junction and 5 layby sized spaces that are rarely parked in that they could run on into and out of while I pass in the car. I wouldn't mind if they jogged at a reasonable speed but this sort with the music so loud I can hear it in the car seem to jog at walking pace or slower.
(Mind you it is amusing to see if we can do the whole mile without the jogger noticing there is a car crusing very very slowly immediately behind them)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
It's the runners with the earphones on that annoy me when driving. They jog on oblivious to the fact that there are 15 driveways, one road junction and 5 layby sized spaces that are rarely parked in that they could run on into and out of while I pass in the car. I wouldn't mind if they jogged at a reasonable speed but this sort with the music so load I can hear it in the car seem to jog at walking pace.
(Mind you it is amusing to see if we can do the whole mile without the jogger noticing there is a car crusing very very slowly immediately behind them)

On that note, I live in a city, on a single track road with a walkway that comes on at a 90 degree angle. I literally roll along the street. Day before yesterday, young girl about 15 years old, earbuds in, looking at phone, STRAIGHT INTO my path. Thank goodness I was doing less than 5mph. I yelled that she might want to look where she's going, but she didn't hear me. Obvs, like, too cool.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I thank everyone who passes me without killing me.

Sometimes I thank them with my middle finger though

Same here. Basically if they slow down enough, they get thanked. If they aren't slowing down enough then I immediately stick my arm out and ask them to slow down by the time they get to me then I thank them as usual, hopefully they'll then pass the next rider slower. I dont let people go past me fast! I'm on a quiet, very rural road though so I may only come across 3 vehicles on a hack so I have plenty of time to tell them to slow down. Wouldnt be so easy with more traffic obviously. Only twice have I felt horrified but both times were cars coming WAY to fast round a blind bend and then finding me - both times though, theyve slammed their brakes on in time and apologised hugely. Im very lucky that while Ive had the odd stroppy driver who when asked to slow down (and they have), they then speed off in an angry way but Ive never had anyone say anything to me. Im extremely lucky where I live though, people round here seem to be very very good in general when seeing a horse on the road. I trained my 6yo to wave and smile at everyone when he was riding his pony on a hack - I swear its softened loads of them, they used to love it waving back!

willhegofirst

Visit site
For the last few months my horse is kept in the village I live in, I only have a 10 minute walk to get to off road riding, be it up a steep hill, most people that pass live in the village so know me and pass slowly, but I always make a point of thanking them, and as the road is narrow try to get out of the way as much as possible. Where he used to be we meet more traffic, manly farm traffic, most were considerate, always thanked them, the worse tended to be those going to shoots! They weren't thanked.

lannerch

Visit site
What really winds me up is when i am a driver and slow right down and the rider arrogantly does not acknowledge it at all.

As a rider I thank everyone so that those that do not deserve it have to think about why!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Which ones do you thank?
Obviously I always give a big smile hand and if their windows are open will call a thank you aswell to any driver that passes slow and wide.
Recently I’ve A. Found myself thanking drivers who actually, although they slowed still passes way to fast or close. Not a problem for me but for the next person on a nervous horse would be dangerous.

Or B. Not thanked for a very minimal effort and been abused for it “f’ing horses thinking they own the road” was one recently or rev and speed off, obviously annoyed at my not thanking them.

What do you do?

If they go wide - slow - turn engines off or don't rev or even get off their bike I thank them by mouthing thank you if the windows are up, raising my hand if safe to do, or saying thank you and or nodding my head.

It cost nothing to say thank you to a care but could cost the life of your horse if you don't.

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
Amazing how every single person on here thanks drivers when in the real world just about no one does !

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Amazing how every single person on here thanks drivers when in the real world just about no one does !

I /we always saying thank you, we also have a yard nearby who are stuck up and never say thanx (till we complained) , you can tell the yard they are from as all are stuck up, wear knee boots, only a tabbard. Its the snotty club.

lannerch

Visit site
Agree it’s often yards that don’t thank , the yard I used to live near almost all never thanked me, I even wound down my widow and told them off , to no long term avail .
Where I live now everyone thanks me, I think in most areas I am happy to say riders do.

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I thanks those that make some effort to slow down, but extra smiles and wave if pass wide and slow. Tend to ignore anyone who doesn't bother. Several times I've asked people to slow or stop when trying to overtake on a blind bend but find they mostly carry on regardless. We've even been indicating right to turn back into the yard and still had people try and come past! It's a rarity anyone else in the village even glances round or knows you are even there let alone acknowledge you but they are the first to complain about inconsiderate drivers!

Woah

Visit site
I thank any drivers who make an effort basically. No good thanking those for nothing! I am more profuse to those who really make an effort. I try to give eye contact and a smile also and mouth a thank you. Trouble is on roads these days with vehicle after vehicle in succession it does erode the pleasure of riding (not simply the thanking, but constant awares that you have to be on). In the future with the way this country's population is heading horses and riders will be 'forced ' off the road I guess ☹️

case895

Visit site
I don't. It's a legal requirement to give space to horses. If you use a pelican crossing as a pedestrian, you don't thank drivers for stopping. If whilst walking through London, a group of youths don't stab you, you don't thank them.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't. It's a legal requirement to give space to horses. If you use a pelican crossing as a pedestrian, you don't thank drivers for stopping. If whilst walking through London, a group of youths don't stab you, you don't thank them.

And in taking that attitude, you make it more likely that next time, the driver won't bother to slow down at all. That may not worry you but you could surely consider your fellow horse riders?

As a walker I thank drivers who slow down for me. I thank people who stop on zebra crossings too. And people who hold doors open for me or wait at the top or bottom of a narrow staircase to let me pass.. Why not, it just makes the world a more pleasant place for everyone?

Last edited:

Woah

Visit site
Yes Case 895 it is the Highway Code, but if another driver gives way to you when you are driving in any shape or form you surely flash your lights or put your hand up to acknowledge their politeness?
When I crawl past at 15mph giving lots of room to a horse rider I find it rude if they don't even acknowledge me despite my efforts, and wonder what sort of message this gives motorists about the horse riding community. Most think we're a bunch of stuck up snobs anyway so we do need to do a bit of self promoting I think. Just my take on it anyway...

Visit site
If you use a pelican crossing as a pedestrian, you don't thank drivers for stopping.

I don't but a lot of people do and I often find myself swearing at them in my car as they have right of way! Same with people who wave thanks whilst you are waiting at those horrible wee traffic islands as you have to give way. It really really bugs me lol!

pennyturner

Visit site
I thank everyone who has been inconvenienced by me - whether they had any choice about slowing down or not. I'm particularly cheery to the ones who come barrelling around the corner too fast and quickly (and sheepishly) slow down. They weren't expecting to see me, and they were clearly watching the road. Rather that than the ones going a moderate speed who drive as if you're not there, or they're passing a lamp-post.

... and I always thank drivers for stopping at a pedestrian crossing. It's basic manners.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I thank everyone. I wave, smile and either say or mouth thank you. It makes me livid when I finally get to pass riders in the lanes and they glare at me with what appears to be a sneer on their stupid, ignorant faces. A lot of people around here ride on the road because they don't have the nerve or skill to ride off road.

stormox

Visit site
I thank people who go out of their way to slow down or stop. But i certainly dont thank cars that are just driving past normally, they would have to do something to be thanked for.
I dont usually take my hands of the reins, I nod and shout thank you if I think they can hear me.

Woah

Visit site
It's the runners with the earphones on that annoy me when driving. They jog on oblivious to the fact that there are 15 driveways, one road junction and 5 layby sized spaces that are rarely parked in that they could run on into and out of while I pass in the car. I wouldn't mind if they jogged at a reasonable speed but this sort with the music so loud I can hear it in the car seem to jog at walking pace or slower.
Gosh you must be on narrow lanes not even able to pass a jogger. Fact is they should be running on opposite Side towards traffic without earphones !!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

I do too.

I also thank people who pass me wide and/or slow down when I'm walking my dog. People who let me pass on a narrow road, those who reverse so I can pass. The list goes on.

I generally thank people for most things
Legal requirement or not. It's just common bloomin courtesy!

scats

Visit site

I thank drivers who stop at crossings. I do that weird awkward wave and half run thing haha.

As for thanking drivers, even if someone has made any effort at all to slow down or go wide, they get thanked. I rarely hack on the roads now but when I did I always thought that if someone is thanked for making an effort, they are likely to make the effort again next time for someone else.

If someone really slows down, goes wide, or generally goes out of their way to be ultra safe, I make a big effort of smiling, hand up and mouthing thank you very appreciatively.

AandK

Visit site
I thank everyone who passes me. Those who make an effort to slow down, get a smile as well. I am lucky where I live, drivers are considerate and slow down

ihatework

Visit site
I do too.

I also thank people who pass me wide and/or slow down when I'm walking my dog. People who let me pass on a narrow road, those who reverse so I can pass. The list goes on.

I generally thank people for most things
Legal requirement or not. It's just common bloomin courtesy!

Too right! I do too.
I’m starting to understand why horse riders get labelled as stuck up selfish idiots though