That is it not more fast fibre

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
As title last night he was like this and tonight at 6pm and ever since back on fast fibre

History repeating itself - this happened in Dec and Jan when he colicked for the first time and bloods showed his liver up. weeks later off fast fibre and he stopped sweating like this as his bloods came down to near normal.
IMG_25181_zpsf694op7k.jpg

IMG_25171_zpsm6hzb49r.jpg

IMG_25211_zpsirkjnkqr.jpg

IMG_25191_zpsyudtnaia.jpg

My guess is his liver has gone up again but thank god he is on milk thistle and has been for many months as the pony is on it permanently.

The silly thing is I thought he has been fine(except for his tendon) ever since then I was hesitant to try the fast fibre again but thought * he has been ok since he should be ok * But no so I have found an alternative to give him.

As soon as his bloods came down he never sweated up like this again and even wore heavier rugs than he is in now.

Last edited:

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Mmmm well, with a nice long coat like that, rugged up, I think I'd have a good hard look at the temperature gauge and the weather forecasts before I jumped to conclusions.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Mmmm well, with a nice long coat like that, rugged up, I think I'd have a good hard look at the temperature gauge and the weather forecasts before I jumped to conclusions.

Actually his coat is not that thick - just looks like this when wet. I don't think I am jumping to conclusions since this happened before when he was on FF and the vet said take him off and give milk thistle etc 6 weeks later bloods down ( went back into this rug with this coat as I have not clipped him 3 years due to tendon ).

Be interesting to know if he stops sweating like this in a few days - none of mine are clipped and all in this weight rug. Time will tell as we all know straw is bad for the liver enzymes.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
It's very warm out today- my fully clipped mate has gone back to a 200g from 300g as she was too warm under rug.
However you know your horse so it could well be a reaction- I wonder what ingredient it is if so. My mate is allergic to alfalfa and gets lumpy but no sweaty

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My boy is normally in his 350 grm when in a blanket clip but since his tendon issue he has not been clipped so now in a 200g rug which he is normally in - in Oct going into 350g in Nov/Dec. I put him back into the 200g once the FF was out his system before and he was fine and even went up to 350g in the Feb unclipped

I do suspect there is something in the field or hay that is doing this and luckily this older hay from a feed place is running out and our other stable is full of this new hay so might be better quality as some farmers cut very close to the edge and a lot or roughage and iffy plants can get in the hay.

It has already been proven in the pony case it was the hay

TGM

Visit site
Minimum of 10 degrees tonight in the South East - I wouldn't be rugging anything unclipped unless there was a really pressing need. But I'm not sure why you've reintroduced a feed that you knew to be a problem either? Drop the rugs and drop the feed and hopefully you will have a happier horse.

You shouldn't rug according to the month you are in but according to the actual temperature and how the horse feels. Normally in December we are down to freezing temperatures but tonight is exceptionally mild - I'm boiling in a house with no central heating!

Last edited:

Orca

Visit site
My unclipped, unrugged pony was sweating the day before yesterday, while standing in her stable doing nothing. It really is mild in some areas this year! Is there a reason you put him back on FF after suspecting it to be the cause of problems last time?

Last edited:

EQUIDAE

Visit site
My clipped mare was sweating on her unclipped legs - it's too warm. Despite the wind and rain it's actually really mild. I'd look at over rugging before I would switch feed - it's easier to drop a rug weight (or lose it completely) than wean them onto a different feed. There is no actual evidence (other than anecdotal) that milk thistle does anything of benefit - his liver enzymes would come back to normal on their own as the pony recovers, regardless.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Hi HGA... I think your problem is easily sorted out without calling the vet.

I have had a horse with liver problems and the last thing you must do is feed the horse a compound feed. They are already compromised metabolically speaking. Whilst FF is good for good doers and is low starch etc, it is still fortified. I wouldn't be surprised if your horse has swelling in his joints and you really ought to try a detox such as L94/P45 from Trinity or Global Herbs Restore.

Nevermind rugging, it's fairly well known that liver problems go hand in hand with dysregulation of the limbic system and is commonly associated with overheating. (temp regulation)

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but I encourage you to reconsider certain aspects of his management. Little things can make a huge difference to a horse with a dodgy liver.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Minimum of 10 degrees tonight in the South East - I wouldn't be rugging anything unclipped unless there was a really pressing need. But I'm not sure why you've reintroduced a feed that you knew to be a problem either? Drop the rugs and drop the feed and hopefully you will have a happier horse.

You shouldn't rug according to the month you are in but according to the actual temperature and how the horse feels. Normally in December we are down to freezing temperatures but tonight is exceptionally mild - I'm boiling in a house with no central heating!
I do rug according to the weather always have always will. My front door is 10 ft from my boys stable and I always check them at 10pm and either down or up the rugs. I did not know the feed would cause this again as i already said. The last liver rise the vet could not say exactly what caused the liver enzymes to rise. Normally a feed like FF will not effect a horse unless another underlining cause is there and if the liver is elevated than FF is a NONO with a horse with raised liver enzyme, so I have nothing to lose removing it from his diet. I have just checked the weight of the rug ant it is a 150g rug. He has always worn this weight of rug and only moves up when the temperature drops.

I put the months down as these are the months the temp drops normally and when my clipping is done. Since I dropped his FF before I am going to do that now as a first point of call as things improved last time when it was stopped. The pony had on going raised liver till we found the cause of the enzymes going up /not coming down.

If things had not been the same as last time I would think differently but since it worked last time I will try this time as we have to start somewhere.

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Normally a feed like FF will not effect a horse unless another underlining cause is there.

The following is not exhaustive nor is it a reflection of every case... GENERALLY.. The underlying cause is the liver problem... liver problems lead to kidney problems... kidney problems lead to elevated serum enzymes... enzymes cause pH problems... pH problems cause blood disorders... which cause digestive issues... etc etc.

Less is more when the liver is involved with horses as I have sorely learned.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The first thing D&H said in Jan to me is rid the FF while is bloods are high. So this is what I am thinking again as the symptoms are the same so we shall see in a few days if he starts to improve. If not I will get the vet out to confirm it with bloods, since I have the booked in for my new mare next week anyway.

Unless it is the hay that is causing it as not every bale is cut from the same field or the same area in the field as mentioned and proven to be the case in the pony..

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have recently had to take my mare off grassnuts as they were making her sweat, without a rug. As soon as they are out of her system, her temperature and teperament are back to normal. I have never had a horse before that couldn't have grassnuts but there we are - they are all individuals!