That was fun

Sandstone1

Visit site
Have seen no evidence of any such law ?
As far as I'm aware its a rule for professional dog walkers. I know parks in my area do have signs up saying no more than 6 dogs to be walked by one person.
It might also be to do with professional dog walkers insurance.
I don't think it's a actual law but more of a bylaw.
That's not to say it shouldn't be!
Too many dog walkers walking lots of dogs together that they can't control and making normal dog walkers lives a misery!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Where I ride there is a fixed limit of no more than 4 dogs per professional dog walker (eg, those who charge for this). They also require a permit (cost £250 annually) to use the commons.
However, the groups of school parents walking about 7 or 8 dogs between 4 or 5 people are the worst to contend with as they are often chatting and not keeping a close eye on their dogs, hence I ride early most of the time....

skinnydipper

Visit site
I was under the supervision of a behaviourist at the time as a ‘stranger’ to test the practise they’d been doing at home! I am in no way an expert on dog behaviour, but I knew I didn’t want bitten! Short of leaving the room there was nothing I could have done differently, I wasn’t engaging the dog, not even looking at it, was relaxed for the most part until the end and the dog had an escape out the back door into the garden which the dog knew about.
I’m not really sure what your point is? Mine was that some dogs can and will pick fights they know they’ll win ( ie a scared or “easy” target) that people who are scared of dogs should probably stay aboard their mounts!

I am sorry that you did not understand my previous post:

"An aggressive muzzle punch (rather than a playful muzzle punch) is often a precursor to a bite and a sign this dog was pushed dangerously over threshold.
I am surprised that he/she needed to repeat the behaviour multiple times before you got the message."

I question the competency of a behaviourist who was unable to recognise overt signs of aggression, by this I mean a muzzle punch.

This dog will have run through a repertoire of behaviours before he resorted to a muzzle punch (multiple punches I believe you said) including by the sound of it, a possible period of learned helplessness.

This was a fearful dog clearly telling you all he was not coping and I think you were all fortunate that he showed a reluctance to bite.

Yes, leaving the room is exactly what you should have done. Continuing to cause stress to the dog was irresponsible and foolish.

Fearful dogs can be unpredictable and they should not be forced into situations that worsen that fear.

I am becoming increasingly concerned by people who think it is advisable to challenge a dog regardless of their dubious assessment of the dog's intent and temperament.

Have you much experience of dogs who "pick fights they know they will win"? I have none.

This thread is highlighting the ignorance surrounding dog behaviour.

Please let me know if I have said anything you did not understand.

Last edited:

planete

Visit site
"I question the competency of a behaviourist who was unable to recognise overt signs of aggression, by this I mean a muzzle punch."

This is exactly why, in another thread, I tried to emphasise the fact that a behaviourist trying to rehabilitate an aggressive dog should be able to show they have hand on experience of successfully doing so. It takes time and top class mentoring by an already experienced trainer to acquire the necessary observational skills and appropriate responses to keep everybody safe while turning the animal round or even deciding it is too dangerous to proceed.

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
My lurcher ' muzzle punches' everything, anything, everyone and anyone. She is not remotely aggressive in fact it such a part of her that she has been taught to so it on command.
It's all about reading the whole animal

skinnydipper

Visit site
My lurcher ' muzzle punches' everything, anything, everyone and anyone. She is not remotely aggressive in fact it such a part of her that she has been taught to so it on command.
It's all about reading the whole animal

Deleted. Too pedantic for Bonny's taste.

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
I can’t help but feel that all this is pedantic point scoring is just that ! Every dog thread on here seems to descend to the same few people trying to outdo each other with their knowledge !