That's it, I am converted to cobs

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Fuelled with 2 pony nuts each, no shoes needed and dragged out of the field the cobs had their first morning out.

Foot perfect, no hassle and cheap as chips to maintain, I am converted.

huntingcob_zpse5843ad6.jpg

TheoryX1

Visit site
Two lovely happy looking cobs and riders. Welcome to the dark side then. Once you have owned a good cob, you wont wont want to go back to anything else. Have owned my old git for 10 years, yep, its a cob and when I buy my next horse next year, will buy another cob. Easy to keep and cheap as chips to feed, if you need to feed them at all. You know where you are with a cob.

FubsyMog

Visit site
Super looking pair - keen expressions too (and riders as well!). Love the tree-trunk legs on the darker one - looks like you could put the whole family on that one. I have a great affinity for cobs as I am of cob-like conformation myself.

abracadabra

Visit site
Don't look too close at the one with the hog growing out, we clipped him the night before by electric light and in daylight he resembled a camel in moult, appears we missed a lot !

Ha been there done that :D I thought I'd done an A1 job of a clip once, by electric light, next day in daylight it was plain to see I'd left a large portion of ar$e unclipped :lol:
Aren't you going to hog him again? In my coffee-fuelled early morning plaiting starts I occasionally think I could go back to cob ownership just for the convenience of hogging :lol:

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Beautiful photo...the smiles say it all :)
I love Cobs...gorgeous beasties....especially looking more attractive when paying out another large vets bill for my spindly self harming WB x Friesian :eek:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
very smart, but who is who?!

Cob on right as you look at picture is that mare you all persuaded me to buy in 2012 when I was trying to convince myself to give up. Martha Moose, registered name on Irish passport - Hairy Mary !! stop laughing, I will get round to changing it.

Other cob is a gelding, a recent purchasing request for a friend and early days yet, he takes a bit of a yank and I am trying to sort out the best bitting arrangement for him. He is being schooled to let his neck go but his default is to set his neck, grab the bridle and tank. Any ideas gratefully received.

Marthahunting_zpsc0cc281d.jpg

marthasaturday_zps61c1eb14.jpg

The other good thing about cobs is they stand still allowing the port (medicinal of course) to go down the throat and not down the breeches. This is my crash test dummy (a must before I get on, can't fall off on my radiated ribs) having a tot, I did offer a straw but no, the bottle was just fine !!! Honestly, what about our reputation as clean living pillars of the community !

MrsP_zps723430d4.jpg

Annagain

Visit site
his default is to set his neck, grab the bridle and tank. Any ideas gratefully received.

My boy can be a bit like this (ID x cob with a big strong neck). Waterford three ring gag with two reins is by far the best bit I've tried on him. Top rein asks politely and if that doesn't work the bottom one goes OI, YOU, STOP! I can stop him with the gentlest of little pulls now as opposed to much hauling on every other bit we've tried. I barely have to use the bottom rein these days.

Greylegs

Visit site
Lovely pics of a happy day out. Love those horses. Glad you're converted, but all I can say is "What took you so long?!"

ps ... also glad you're feeling well enough to tackle a day out with hounds. You look great. Onwards and upwards.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Fantastic pics, you all look so happy, even before the 'medicinal tipple' LOL!

(Should have kept quiet about the clip - hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, then went back for another look)

teapot

Visit site
Cobs are the bestest! :biggrin3: Could do with those two in my RDA group...

Second the Waterford suggestion :)